Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Advice On A Weather Station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

The organisation I work for has a intranet on which there is a weather page. Currently, it displays the weather condition, and temperature, but these are taken from a thermometer in the morning and left all day making them inaccurate. One of the web team suggested getting a weather station and increasing the stats available. The weather station they want to purchase should be Wireless, and should be able to output temperature (current, min and max) wind speeds, humidiyty, pressure, and rainfall to a computer in a raw feed so the web team can update a page with this information in real time. Obviously, the cheaper this is the better, but it would need to be reliable too. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best solution for this job?

Also as an alternative, if anyone knows of anyone who supplies this sort of weather data at a price for the Scarborough area, maybe that would be another option assuming it is cheap enough :) It needs to be legal and accurate, so no leeching information from the metoffice or netweather without paying :p

Thanks!

Edited by Gorky

Posted
hope you got all this info mate :p

Yes. I got this info and am forwarding it on. Thanks for yur help mate... :)

Posted

Further to my previous request, is there anyone out here who can confirm that these weather stations allow you to automatically download the data to a computer and then let you use this data in whatever way you need. It is important that the whole process will need to be automated, but I am not sure if extra software will be needed to log the data from the weather station or not. Also, if anyone can recommend a specific make or model of weatherstation that would be great ;)

Posted

I'm sure Meteorologica will give you the advice you need and there are other very reputable weather companies selling Davis auto weather stations. As far as I know, once the link into the computer has been set up its totally automatic.You set the times at which it downloads data to the computer and with Intranet it would then presumably feed it out to the other computer terminals. As to using data from other sources, be it Met, Net Wx or whoever most have some 'free' data available which simply requires that you have a line that acknowledges where that data has come from.

Check with Paul for here, and the BBC and Met o sites as to what and how its done.

John

John

• 4 months later...
Posted

I am also looking into getting a WMR 928 but have seen a WMR 918 on Ebay - is that any good ?

Also the instructions for the weather stations never mention poles or fixings etc.

My question is how easy/tricky is it to install the equipment. I have a smallish garden

and am unable to climb ladders. What sort of clearance does the equipment need and what sort of height is best.

Also pole mounted or bracketed to wall (like TV aerial) ?

Where does one buy poles etc ? or have I just answered that!

thanks in anticipation

Pete :D

Posted
I am also looking into getting a WMR 928 but have seen a WMR 918 on Ebay - is that any good ?

Also the instructions for the weather stations never mention poles or fixings etc.

My question is how easy/tricky is it to install the equipment. I have a smallish garden

and am unable to climb ladders. What sort of clearance does the equipment need and what sort of height is best.

Also pole mounted or bracketed to wall (like TV aerial) ?

Where does one buy poles etc ? or have I just answered that!

thanks in anticipation

Pete :)

The WMR918 is an older version of the current model which is a WMR928NX, it has lower power solar panels on its transmitters.

As for fixings, you can buy poles from B+Q Warehouse. They sell them and brackets for TV use and they will do fine for a weather station.

Location for the sensors is:

Rain gauge, on a flat surface as far away from tall, surrounding objects as possible to prevent a "rain shadow" when the wind is blowing.

Thermometer, in the shade at all times. Also it needs to be away from any heat sources such as a wooden fence that may warm up on the other side and then reradiate heat.

Anemometer, as clear as you can from any nearby tall objects that will shelter it from the wind. Usually this means on a pole well above the roof line of the house. Often a local aerial installer will put this up for you.