Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Beginners Book Suggestions.

Posted

Hi all,

I've just set up my 1st weather station in my garden (Lacrosse 2300), and while I have some VERY basic weather knowledge, I am keen to learn more.

Can anyone recommend any good books on weather and weather forcasting suitable for someone with my limited knowledge?

Cheers

Matt.

Posted

May sound silly to some but I have a book that I used to get excited over called the weather by Usbourne - a spotters guide. I spent hours writing the whole book (especially on thunderstorms and more so hurricanes) out on A4 paper!!!

Here is the link on amazon although I can't find a picture of it ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...product-details

Posted

I've got a bookcase shelf full of meteorology textbooks and other weather books, from teaching and a long interest in the weather, but the one book I use on a regular basis is the Collins "gem Weather". It is a tiny thing, one of the smallest books you will ever buy, but for the clarity of images and depth of explanation, it is the best value weather book I have ever invested in. To get a better cloud atlas, with good explanations alone, you could pay £50. This little beauty is about a fiver from any decent bookshop.

.......and no, I've never written for Collins, honest!

Posted
May sound silly to some but I have a book that I used to get excited over called the weather by Usbourne - a spotters guide. I spent hours writing the whole book (especially on thunderstorms and more so hurricanes) out on A4 paper!!!

Here is the link on amazon although I can't find a picture of it ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...product-details

OMG. I remember that book. I really loved it when i was young and it got me interested in the weather.

I remember it was whitish with a balloon on the back and quite thick?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Hope this is allowed...

I have a weather book on Ebay at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

A guide to recognising different weather phenomena and understanding their causes. Ilustrated throughout in colour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Hope this is allowed...

I have a weather book on Ebay at the moment

A guide to recognising different weather phenomena and understanding their causes. Ilustrated throughout in colour.

Just a reminder this book is still on ebay for another 5 mins. It could sell for just £1.99. :( RRP £7.95. Grab a bargain!.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

A tad indulgent but 'The Book of Clouds' by John Day is spectacular!

• 2 months later...
Posted

Has anyone else got the book The Observer's Book of Weather, by Reginald M. Lester, F.R.Met.Soc. It was first published way back in 1955 and the reprint I have is from 1967. I used to read it a lot when I was a small boy and it's the most valuable and treasured book I have on meterology. I imagine it's long since been out of print but it's well worth a read if you can get your hand on a copy (Ebay?). In fact I have the whole Observer's series, they're a great collection. The Astronomy edition by Patrick Moore is excellent.

Edit/ here it is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Observers-Book-of-We...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Nick H

• 1 month later...
Posted
I've got a bookcase shelf full of meteorology textbooks and other weather books, from teaching and a long interest in the weather, but the one book I use on a regular basis is the Collins "gem Weather". It is a tiny thing, one of the smallest books you will ever buy, but for the clarity of images and depth of explanation, it is the best value weather book I have ever invested in. To get a better cloud atlas, with good explanations alone, you could pay £50. This little beauty is about a fiver from any decent bookshop.

.......and no, I've never written for Collins, honest!

Hi Paul

I've saw this yesterday and had a little search on e-bay. I'm pleased to say that I hope to receive a copy in the next couple of days. Thanks for the tip. :D

Posted

I have a lovely one, Collins WEATHER- THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE ELEMENTS

If you are interested the ISBN is ISBN 0 00 230064 3

It has a lovely section about various cloud types among other weather info. I found it easy to understand but detailed too. my copy was printed 1996 so I reckon it's likely to be still in print.

Posted
Hi Paul

I've saw this yesterday and had a little search on e-bay. I'm pleased to say that I hope to receive a copy in the next couple of days. Thanks for the tip. :blink:

I too have this little "gem"! (sorry) It's main advantage is that it's so portable!

If you like clouds, "The Cloudspotters Guide" by Gavin Pretor-Pinney has had a lot of media coverage and is a quite comprehensive guide to observing real weather.

Good luck with your observations!

Smich

Posted

Well my little gem arrived today, and theres a lot of information packed into such a tiny book.

Went outside to study the clouds, and believe it or not it's a cloudless day....typical. :lol: