Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Car Thermometers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looking for a bit of advice.

I've just bought a inside/outside car thermometer with a cabled sensor. Can anyone recommend where I should stick it (careful now :D )

I really have now idea so any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Mark.

Posted

Not sure where you should stick it but be careful to take the temps too seriously. I'm not sure where the sensors are located on factory fitted thermometers but the extremes can be a bit misleading sometimes (hence I often report the temp as approx on weather reports)

Hope you get some more useful advice on location than me :D:D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Everyone I've seen so far has been complete rubbish. Almost as bad as those Thermometers on the outside of Factories.

Posted

I have been in cars with factory fitted thermometers and they seem accurate to me.

Maybe a cheap one like mine may not be so accurate :D Still the in car temp should be OK :D

Posted

My Honda's always agrees with my weather station, once a bit of air has gone through it. No problem with ventilating a car thermometer, so I don't think it would really matter where it went.

Posted

My in car temp gauge is usually about 1 degree out from my weather station, but the car one only shows increments of .5.

I can get in the car on a cool, but sunny day and the temp can be 20c, but as soon as you move off and the air gets to the sensor, the temp can go down to a realistic 12c. I presume the sensor wont be in the engine bay.....maybe under the boot area, away from the exhaust.

You could try posting your question over on www.honestjohn.co.uk as this is a very active car forum (the forums are in the section called "the back rooms" and have a technical area which probably suits your question).

Posted
My in car temp gauge is usually about 1 degree out from my weather station, but the car one only shows increments of .5.

I can get in the car on a cool, but sunny day and the temp can be 20c, but as soon as you move off and the air gets to the sensor, the temp can go down to a realistic 12c. I presume the sensor wont be in the engine bay.....maybe under the boot area, away from the exhaust.

You could try posting your question over on www.honestjohn.co.uk as this is a very active car forum (the forums are in the section called "the back rooms" and have a technical area which probably suits your question).

Thanks Runboy,

I'll try that.

• 1 month later...
Posted

The usual place for manufacturers to place thermometers are either in the wheelwell or somwhere around the bumper area. as for accuracy with the exception of my old car (rover), they are usually about 1-2 C off no more than about 4C.. This is because of standing.. when the car is moving they're usually +/- 1C

The usual place for manufacturers to place thermometers are either in the wheelwell or somwhere around the bumper area. as for accuracy with the exception of my old car (rover), they are usually about 1-2 C off no more than about 4C.. This is because of standing.. when the car is moving they're usually +/- 1C.

just as a check, i've put one of those inside/outside sensors that u can get for greenhouses in there one in the wheelwell and the other just in front of the radio. and the wheelwell agreed with the car sensor and the other one was about 5C lower while normal round-town drivin