Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2006

Posted

Well. With Summer starting to kick in, hows your garden growing?

I've noticed that our grass is now well and truely dry, and starting to look a little brown.

The soil at the top end of our garden is now dry...the first time since last autumn. Cracks are also starting to appear in the garden at the bottom end.

All flowers seem to be drying up, even with the odd water (perhaps need to do it more than once a week :) ).

I've also noticed that the tree flowers fromt he spring, instead of falling, just seem to have dried up, making the trees look very dry.

So hows your garden getting on?

Posted
Well. With Summer starting to kick in, hows your garden growing?

I've noticed that our grass is now well and truely dry, and starting to look a little brown.

The soil at the top end of our garden is now dry...the first time since last autumn. Cracks are also starting to appear in the garden at the bottom end.

All flowers seem to be drying up, even with the odd water (perhaps need to do it more than once a week :) ).

I've also noticed that the tree flowers fromt he spring, instead of falling, just seem to have dried up, making the trees look very dry.

So hows your garden getting on?

Watering once a week you idle sod! You don't even have a hosepipe ban either!

Everything in pots daily (except thyme, Lavendar and rosemary where once every 10 days is ok). Ferns, Clematis, Hostas every other day. Camellias and Lupins 2-3 times per week. Annuals and Sweet Peas evry day. New roses twice a week. Established roses and Honeysuckle weekly.

God knows how those with sizeable Vegetable gardens manage in the south east...

Regards

ACB

Posted

Mine seems ok, much of it looks after itself after many years of getting to that state. Hence why I have a bad back but its nice to just watch it for the most part now.

From the front just one of many poppies about to come out. Love 'em

John

post-847-1149794545_thumb.jpg

Posted

So far so good. Only a tiny back garden, about 100sq foot cultivated space, so watering is easy enough. Quite a few herbs about we never really use, chives from last year have flowered and look very impressive! Doing the same as last year (second summer here) - courgettes, toms and runners. All put out last weekend and apparently enjoying the heat. No room to rotate unfortunately, because the runners can't go anywhere other than where they are without shading too much garden - so hopefully get by without any tomato diseases. Water butt is not surprisingly full (filled from bicycle shed roof). Managed to get by on that water for most of last summer, but did have to resort to hose pipe a couple of times. Off to the Lynton/Lynmouth music festival this tomorrow, so I'm hoping there will be a splash of rain here whilst away (but not in Lynton!) for the undeveloped root systems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

All fine apart from the start of a plague of greenfly, probably encouraged by all our aquilegias. Runners, kale and broccoli doing well now although only recently out. Blackcurrants set nicely, although not yet netted and I can never remember whether they're supposed to be watered or not. Nearly finished enlarging a bed for growing more veg - might get some rhubarb in there later, and shall put spring cabbages in too.

Slugs and snails are a nuisance now - an evening shower and there are hordes on the rampage. I go out with a torch and a pair of scissors.... beer traps too if the weather is right.

Posted
Watering once a week you idle sod!

:lol: I know ACB. We did buy some miracle grow yesterday, so that might help. Thanks for the advice though, but were trying :D

From the front just one of many poppies about to come out. Love 'em

Gorgeous Poppies John. Love 'em too. We havent started on our back garden yet (just lawn for now), but would love a load of cottage style plants, its just whether we can make it work in a garden of a 2005 house :lol:

I've just gone for a walk in our back garden, and i've just noticed, the grass at the bottom end is all dead at the top of the blades, but growing through still. Somehow, I think cheap turf was put down :lol:

Posted

hi Chris

thanks for that, go for it, dig the lawn up and have a wild flower garden and put perennial plants in, great

post-847-1149839874.jpg

I have just a very small area for meadow plants

John