Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Summer Solstice

Posted

The summer solstice is at 13.26pm BST on the 21st of June 2006

positions.gif

This animation shows the position of the sun where it sets over a 11 day period around the equinox and the solstice. As you can see, the sun hardly changes the postion at where it sets/rises. This is why the time of the sunset/sunrise hardly changes at the solstice because it is effectively setting and rising at the same position

After we pass the solstice, the sun begins its journey southwards again

sun_year.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

And of coursee the change in sunset times are barely noticeable for a month or so before that descent takes place. Great in summer (as long days are good) but not so good at the winter solstice when the craving for daylight makes you put false hope once that solstice has passed that it'll get light soon!

Posted

I usually start to become vaguely aware of it setting earlier about mid-August, with the reverse happening once February turns into March.

I always think it'll get dark after 9pm between mid-May and mid-August, 8-something from then till early October which is wrong, it's pretty black by 7pm once we reach October.

Then a few weeks which really catch me out by getting dark at 6 while I'm still in summer mode

Until the clocks go back after which it's 4-5, until March- wrong again, by the last week in February it's actually light later than it was in mid-October.

March is the month I really notice the change, once the clocks go forward it's 7-8 till mid-May, by early May I'm often surprised to find it light at 9.30.

Seasonal lag in temperatures might trick some of our body clocks perhaps? I understand the reason why the day length doesn't change much a month or so either side of solstices, but I've always been puzzled by the earliest sunrise being before June 21 and the latest sunset after?

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
...... but I've always been puzzled by the earliest sunrise being before June 21 and the latest sunset after?

That one always used to bug me, more so on the winter solstice when the sun rose later not earlier for a few days...

Why isn’t the earliest sunrise on the longest day and the latest sunrise on the shortest?

The apparently odd behaviour of sunrise/sunset times near the winter solstice.

(Royal Greenwich Observatory)

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Will the cloud and rain clear in time for revellers at Stonehenge to be able to see the sunrise tomorrow between the stones? Looks a bit touch and go:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah looks like the summer solstice will be distinctly unsummery! Especially in the north. Still - the warmest part of the year is still to come! And still 6 or 7 weeks before the nights draw in. Anyone fancy fixing the Earth where it is now? Permanent summer time! Actually- that'd kill the planet...

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
Will the cloud and rain clear in time for revellers at Stonehenge to be able to see the sunrise tomorrow between the stones? Looks a bit touch and go:

It certainly looks very touch and go Nick, it looks like being a real shame to be honest.

Posted
That one always used to bug me, more so on the winter solstice when the sun rose later not earlier for a few days...

Why isn’t the earliest sunrise on the longest day and the latest sunrise on the shortest?

The apparently odd behaviour of sunrise/sunset times near the winter solstice.

(Royal Greenwich Observatory)

I just about understand now, thanks. But one other thing I've noticed is that the closer you are to the equator, the further away the two times are from the solstice:

From sunrisesunset.com:

Anchorage Alaska: negligible, seems to hover at the same times for a week or so

Birmingham UK: earliest rise about June 17, latest set about June 26

Madrid Spain: about June 14 and 28

Cairo Egypt: June 11 and July 1

Havana Cuba: June 9 and July 3

Bangkok Thailand: June 1 and July 11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

See the sunrise maaaan, you don't need to see it 'cause, like, y'know its like there maaan. If you've done enough chemicals man then it's just the same......... :):):) (to be spoken like Dylan the rabbit)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

This site is good for sunrise/set http://www.srrb.noaa.gov/highlights/sunrise/sunrise.html

it give the time of Solar noon.

Includes drop down menu with UAS and world cities plus own long/lat input

Posted
This site is good for sunrise/set http://www.srrb.noaa.gov/highlights/sunrise/sunrise.html

it give the time of Solar noon.

Includes drop down menu with UAS and world cities plus own long/lat input

Or try http://www.timeanddate.com

Posted

Cant believe he strength of the sun at the moment is this due to the approach of the summer solstice when the northern hemisphere reaches it's closest towards the sun?

SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

The sun's journey south has begun!

Eratosthenes used the summer solstice to measure the size of the Earth. He knew that at noon on the summer solstice that from the town of Syene in Egypt, no shadow was cast but from Alexandria a shadow of about 7 degrees was cast at the same time. Measuring the distance between Styene and Alexandria, he worked out the circumference of the Earth which was very close to the value of today. Pretty good considering he did it around 240 BC

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

that is very interesting - I never knew that..and it is even more amazing when you consider up til when most thought the earth was flat!! ..was it christopher columbo who disovered it wasnt ..I cant quite remember.

Edited by Polar Bear