Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports 02/07/06

MP-R

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

Ours has moved off from Knutsford now - passed to the east of us, heading north, probably along the pennines. A couple of great close c-t-g strikes, and loads of rain. Still very muggy.

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

Ilminster, Somerset

I was in Ilminster this morning having visited relatives in the area overnight. Really suprised to wake to dark skies and rumbles of thunder. Saw several good flashes of lighting including one fork on a nearby hill, really thought it was going to kick off big time but after some steady rain it all died out.

Have driven back up to Andover via A303 this afternoon and did not encounter any further storm activity on route.

Some minor cloud building in Andover area but only small stuff.

Posted

27 claps of thunder in this summer's first storm in Edinburgh - at about 14.40.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Thunder and lightning to the east and southeast of me

Posted
Ours has moved off from Knutsford now - passed to the east of us, heading north, probably along the pennines. A couple of great close c-t-g strikes, and loads of rain. Still very muggy.

S

Possibly that's the one that's been over Manchester for quite a while now. It's certainly pretty lively, lots of IC and CG flashes, quite a few every minute. It's more-or-less overhead me at the moment, the lightning is very bright indeed. It came in from the southwest heading in a northeasterly direction, but it seems pretty big. I'm certainly enjoying the light show, just a shame I didn't bring my camera and tripod with me although the rain's now got heavy so would probably have spoiled any shots I could take from my office window...

Posted

Well there's been a couple of thunderstorms up here today.

The first one came in at about 3:30 PM while I was at work, was good timing as well as that's when our take away arrived so I was getting paid £10 something an hour to eat take away food and watch a thunderstorm.

It was a proper heat thunderstorm as well, I haven't seen one like that for a few years now.

It was loud as hell and had a hell of a lot of rain in it.

The lightning was quite spectacular especially where I was as I have an excellent view from my works car park of the surrounding countryside overlooking the M65, I wish I had taken my camera now.

When the storm was right overhead we were getting these huge flashes and instant explosions that shook the place, I wouldn't have liked to be caught out in the open in the middle of that!

I was stood under a big metal over hang so I was ok.

The storm lasted for a good hour before moving out of range.

Some of the best lightning was on the back edge of the storm as it was moving away as we could see these huge CG's coming down over Blackburn and along the 65.

A network of large electricity pylons runs along the M65 right next to the depot where I work, I was expecting those to get hit when the storm was right on top of us. (They probably were actually, somewhere along the line)

Then at about 5:00 PM a second smaller storm passed by this area just as I was going home, again producing some nice CG's.

About 30 minutes after this I got a call from my dad who is bringing my little brother back to my mums place from Manchester, and he said that he had to pull the car over as he was caught in a huge storm that had turned the St Peters Way in to a river.

This storm has just clipped my area and gone off to the east of my position, though once again it produced a good few spectacular CG's as it rumbled by.

This storm looks like a pretty intense one for anyone who may be caught in it.

Posted

Some very dark clouds down Didcot, oxfordshire im not 100% sure that this could turn into a thunderstorm allthough it has every sign that it might be a heavy shower on our way. No thunder or lightning as of yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

very dull just here, storm just missing us to our west :blink:

very nice clouds though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Big big storm pasing over at present, house shaking thunder and plenty of lightning, torrential stair-rod rain, strong gusting wind. Just heard the M62 eastbound has been shut due to a multi-vehicle accident - not surprising really if people were having to drive through this.

Posted

evening all,

well we have now got the predicted storm hitting us here in Ilkley West Yorkshire

anyone got an update as to the current intensity?

Posted

Very black clouds approaching from the south with bright lightning about 3 miles away but no thunder to accompany it.

Posted
Big big storm pasing over at present, house shaking thunder and plenty of lightning, torrential stair-rod rain, strong gusting wind. Just heard the M62 eastbound has been shut due to a multi-vehicle accident - not surprising really if people were having to drive through this.

That doesn't surprise me, it was the heaviest storm I've seen over Manchester for quite a long time. Part of my job involves looking after student accommodation, and I've just taken two calls about water leaking through ceilings in a couple of properties following the very heavy rain...!

Posted

The cloud is zooming in all directions with lightning becoming more frequent than 15 minutes ago.

See if these videos work for anyone. The is a couple with cloudblowing outwards and upwards. And a couple with lightning

Edited by Odd Spot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

We had a few claps of thunder here I Dublin but nothing like u folks in the UK.

Perhaps it had something to do with the result in Germany yesterday.

Posted

Cracking 90min thunderstorm here. There was a period of about 20mins where there was CG strikes every couple of seconds or so, and vivid lightning streaks accross the sky. Thunder and torrential rain too. An amazing orchestral climax to a warm and sunny, humid day. And it's supposed to be warm and sunny again tomorrow.

Are you sure we are not living in the tropics? lol :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind
The cloud is zooming in all directions with lightning becoming more frequent than 15 minutes ago.

See if these videos work for anyone. The is a couple with cloudblowing outwards and upwards. And a couple with lightning

Brilliant Avitar Odd Spot :blink:

Edited by John Cox

Posted

Oooh, this is like slow torture!!! Met office put out a severe weather warning for here, pressure is dropping, strike alert is going off semi-regularly, but STILL no sign of anything interesting. I should have driven over to Manchester, you guys are having far more fun!!

Posted

Storm been trying to move in for hours and now has finally has moved over us. Some nice lightning for an hour but not much in the last 10 mins. Moderate to heavy rain but other more western parts of sheffield have had 30mm in an hour.

Posted

As allways didcot gets nothing apart from one little clap of thunder but was miles away. It is how ever very very humid 27.5oC at 9pm. It did look quite promising earlyer on but faded away :D :blink: :D

Posted

Just a few rumbles and odd flashes now in the distance.

Best chance looks like wednesday for the next sky show. Around our neck of the woods anyway :blink:

Posted

It's all over now a few flashes, one huge CG and the rest Sheet lightning.