Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Humming Bird? (Merged..... again)

kar999

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Our honeysuckles are in full bloom at the moment and their heady perfume is gorgeous. It’s not only us that appreciate this display. Over the last few days we have seen a rather interesting sight. It looks like a small brightly coloured humming bird. It flies in broad daylight and you can hear its 2 inch wings hum as they beat furiously whilst it hovers and dips its long proboscis into the flowers to drink the nectar.

But humming birds are only native to the Americas so what is it?

It’s a migratory visitor from Southern Europe, the aptly named Hummingbird Hawk Month.

Unfortunately I didn’t take this picture as the camera hasn’t been to hand when the moth’s been seen. I’m determined to get a picture eventually and will post it if I’m successful.

hummeralecduffield%20180_tcm3-44144.jpg

(Credit RSPB)

Edited by kar999

Posted

We saw one of those in scotland last week...fantastic things aren't they: had never seen one before! You can really see how they got their name, their flight is so very like a hummingbird. :huh:

Is this a good year for them?

Posted

Oh yes they are lovely to watch. The first one I saw was in the IOW almost 3 years ago. Have seen several around here this summer already. I think they're becoming more widespread.

Posted
Is this a good year for them?

Not sure if this is a good year or not but it sounds like it may well be .....

"It is a regular visitor to the British Isles and in favourable years can be quite common....

.... A large influx occurred in summer 2000, when moths were observed in parks and gardens all over Britain"

Some recorded sightings here...

http://www.back-garden-moths.co.uk/sightin...ngbird+hawkmoth

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Not the best photograph I've ever taken. The thing was flitting about on the honeysuckle so fast the auto focus was struggling to get a hold and before I knew it, it had gone.

You can clearly* see it's proboscis dipping into the flower

*(well prehaps clearly wasn't the right word!)

post-1596-1153843925.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

oooh, very pretty and it shows you don't need glasses at that size! :p:p

Posted
I thought at first my eyes where playing tricks on me , as i looked closer it looked like a humming bird but it was SO small

i didnt know what to think. Half of it looked like a moth the other a humming bird

I googled it and found

http://www.uksafari.com/hummingbird.htm

Never seen one in this country before :p

But it looks like it has feathers and eyes! How can it me a moth (I hate moths especially big ones :p )

Posted

Going to pop this over to the nature section. Far too serious a subject for the whims and banter of the cafe area :p

Posted

I saw one of these humming bird moths in February! It was outside a flower shop and was obviously attracted by the strong smelling hyancinths. I thought it was a humming bird at first, until like you I checked on internet. It was a beautiful sight at that time of the year but I was concerned weather it would survive the bitterly cold weather.

Posted

I started a thread about this earlier in the summer. (Maybe a mod could combine them :) )

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...l=Humming+bird#

I saw one this afternoon supping nectar from a Cosmos flower in our garden.

Edited by kar999

Posted

Saw one about 3 days ago while mowing the lawn.. at first I thought it was a humming bird but my father who was doing some gardening nearby pointed out that it was infact a Hawk Moth!! it was so cool to see it wizz about :)

Posted

Great to watch aren't they? I had my camcorder handy the other day so filmed one.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Listening to Radio5 live on my travels this morning, there was mention of the fact that the Humming Bird Hawk Moth has been sighted further North this year... suggesting this is all part of the GW.

I saw one for the first time myself this year in our garden (we live in North County Dublin), and amazing little critters they are.

Wondering if anyone else further North than us saw any?

Belinda

Posted

They are lovely moths indeed and I've been watching them all summer long. ;)

There's a thread already going for them and there is a link on there to a sighting website.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=31012#

Posted
They are lovely moths indeed and I've been watching them all summer long. ;)

There's a thread already going for them and there is a link on there to a sighting website.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=31012#

;) Thanks... I didn't realise.. I DID look honest!. Will join there.

Posted

I had one in my garden for the first time in my memory here in Dublin this year.....(so the last 15 years).

It was whizzing around so fast I couldn't make it out - firstly I was afraid, it was quite large, darting around rapidly, and I didn't know if it was some sort of stinging bug - finally I got up closer, then looked it up to discove it was this very moth... an amazing little creature.

Seemed to like our Verbena in particular!.. didn't bother with the cat nip!.

We also had a huge, huge influx of ladybirds in May - they were all over our 1 acre garden.....everywhere you stood.....which is really strange, as there were no bugs around for them to eat at that time I would have thought..... anyone else had that?

Belinda

Posted

Why should it be a sign of global warming if these beautiful moths have been found further North this year? If they're already in the country they'll sure fly further afield whether for global warming or not!

Nature doesn't see a county/country border and think "not going there, I'm staying put." :whistling:

Posted
Why should it be a sign of global warming if these beautiful moths have been found further North this year? If they're already in the country they'll sure fly further afield whether for global warming or not!

Nature doesn't see a county/country border and think "not going there, I'm staying put." :unsure:

Of course borders don't count, but I'm sure you're aware that any living creature will only colonise suitable habitats, and without reseraching this too heavily, I get the impression until recently further North was not suitable down to climate.

Belinda

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Of course borders don't count, but I'm sure you're aware that any living creature will only colonise suitable habitats, and without reseraching this too heavily, I get the impression until recently further North was not suitable down to climate.

Belinda

I think warming has meant the the overwintering moths survive further north (in France?) and this gives them a greater range the next year and so are able to 'visit' us here .

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
I think warming has meant the the overwintering moths survive further north (in France?) and this gives them a greater range the next year and so are able to 'visit' us here .

I've recently heard that they are now thought to be overwintering in this country for the first time, and can probably now be considered a resident species.

I'd seen the odd one or two in southern gardens during good summers over the years (and many more in France); but ten days ago at a friend's house in Dorset I counted no less than SEVENTEEN of them feeding on a late-flowering lavender hedge about 30 yards long.

Absolutely wonderful to watch.....but I think on balance I'd prefer cold winters again.

Posted

These humming bird moths are seen down here every spring and through the summer, I am not sure if they overwinter but I reckon they must do as I have seen one in february hovering by a hyacinth in flower.

Posted
Great to watch aren't they? I had my camcorder handy the other day so filmed one.

:lol: Thankyou very much for posting that clip!!! I saw one for the first time this year in Western France then another in my garden on the huge Budliah (SP) I was stunned as i too mistook it as a humming bird.After a bit of Google research i found it to be a moth.

Apparantly they are more common in the south of the UK, but must be becoming more widespreed here.Fascinating. :)