Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Has Anyone ????

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Lived on the top floor of a flat where it's snowing and gone to the ground floor where it's raining?

I've walked home and a sometime my head has got to have been in snow while my feet have been in rain as the transition has only been about five feet.

Posted
Lived on the top floor of a flat where it's snowing and gone to the ground floor where it's raining?

I've walked home and a sometime my head has got to have been in snow while my feet have been in rain as the transition has only been about five feet.

has to be that readybrek moment PIT.. :(

Posted

Ive gone in my front door where its been raining and then gone in the rear garden where its still been sunny lol

Posted

lived on the top floor of 5 storey block, not seen snow like you suggest. but have been above the fog level. very eery looking down into the fog :D:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
Ive gone in my front door where its been raining and then gone in the rear garden where its still been sunny lol

yeah i've had it raining in the frotn garden, and not inthe back...quite interesting indeed.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I take it you're quite tall then, Pit?? :(

Posted
I take it you're quite tall then, Pit?? :D

:lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I have witnessed being below cloud on the ground floor of my school building then being within it at the top floor. You couldn't see the driveway at all!

Posted

See that alot at the cricket- happened last sunday. A shower scuds across the ground and it's like a mexican wave of umbrella's

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
On another subject has anyone seen torrential rain falling literally 200 metres down the road,

whilst you are almost completely dry?

I have, and it's very weird.

I've seen snow close enough to make out the snowflakes falling but never snowed on me. It was about 200m away I think.

Posted

The best one are lying snow cut offs, really odd. You can be driving out of town with snow on the ground and then all of a sudden you reach a cut off and there is no lying snow at all, happened a number of times that. Feb 2002 was a classic, we were under a line of hail and snow showers giving a covering but 3 miles to the west it was dry and a few miles to the east it was dry.

Posted

Micro-scale changes in temperature can be astounding. I did a field research project on the urban heat island (in the Toronto area) many years ago. The mobile thermometer revealed that on a clear, cold night it was typically 5-7 degrees © colder in a small stream valley than in open country, and another 5-7 degrees milder in an urban area of relatively light population nearby.

On one occasion after a late spell of wintry weather in April, some lakes in Ontario remained frozen while the weather turned hot in early May. You could walk down a road towards the ice and feel that the temperature was dropping by 2-3 degrees every few yards, probably from about 32 to 10 degrees C. Light winds meant that this absurd thermal gradient could be maintained on that local scale for a few hours.

I saw something quite strange during my recent summer holiday. We were in a car with one of those on-board temperature sensors, and I had come to the conclusion that it was accurate after watching it through various climate zones on our trip. One afternoon as we were driving towards a line of severe thunderstorms, the temperature sensor began to fluctuate quite wildly, it was going up and down between 21 and 28 degrees as we were driving around a lake towards a storm cell. I think this may have been the result of various outflow and inflow winds near a frontal boundary, because at one point when it was reading high, I stopped and got out to see if it felt that warm, and it did feel much warmer than a few kilometres back.

Then on the subject of micro-scale rainfall phenomena, as part of that same field project we placed a number of rain gauges around a small town, after first checking that they would record the same amount when sitting in one place together (they did). The rainfall variations were quite remarkable in thunderstorms, which is one reason why these airport or first order station reports are probably much over-valued by some when assessing a rainfall event. There would literally be two or three times as much rain a few hundred metres away from one given location.

The main observing site in Toronto was operational for about 130 years before being downgraded (too much urban high-rise development for it to be reliable after 1970) but in all those years, it never recorded a daily rainfall of 100 mm, even though suburban and regional stations have come in with vastly higher amounts, one recently nearly 300 mm in 24 hours. These weather observations can vary a great deal, which is why one should never assume that a NW member's observation is incorrect just because it's way different from others nearby.

Now, here's one really strange local weather observation you may have seen over there as well. One morning I noticed a few raindrops were falling in the back garden of the house where we were staying on holiday. I wouldn't have noticed except that they were hitting a metal roof. But the whole sky overhead was either clear or covered in cirrus patches. Some showers had moved through an hour or two earlier. I guess some of these raindrops got caught in a series of updrafts and downdrafts and were just reaching the surface much later than the rest. I've seen the same thing happen with snowflakes falling out of a clear sky after a squall moved past earlier on.

Posted

ref the last para from Roger

Just to the east of the Derbyshire Peak District, I have quite often seen a similar event, rain or snow showers being blown off the hills with absolutely no cloud cover overhead or visible to the west.

Posted

Yeah.. same here John.. Infact we had that yesterday with some rain and it was rather sharp too..

Nice post Roger.. Interesting read..

Posted

Yep, and it becomes 100% dead by the time it reaches here..

I haven't had the snow at the top of the house, rain at the bottom or anything. But i've seen snow lines 5m below my altitude. So when i walk down the street there's no accumulating snow!

Posted

I think this is well known but... In November 1958, New Yorkers had their umbrellas out because it was raining. However, on the roof of the Empire State Building, security guards were enjoying a snowball fight.

You often see dustings of wet snow round here above 100m when it is raining down in the valley at 40-50m and if it is turning generally colder then differences in accumulation can be significant too, initially anyway, as lower and more urban areas have to play catch up. This occurred here on Boxing Day last year anyhow.

But the most remarkable, and annoying thing I encountered was the event when people got stuck on the M11 (I think someone mentioned February 2002 - it probably was then). The western edge of the precipitation was a virtually N-S line following the A6 from Luton to Kettering. Within the space of a quarter of mile there were quite large 1 metre plus snowblown drifts on one side, green fields on the other. I could see all the snow in spitting distance and was able to just walk to it from my front door - yet had nothing on the garden.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
I think this is well known but... In November 1958, New Yorkers had their umbrellas out because it was raining. However, on the roof of the Empire State Building, security guards were enjoying a snowball fight.

Yep been there done it.. 1981 i think. I was in new york on a cold sleety day with my skool party and of course we went up to the top of the empire state building and to be greeted by an almost full blown blizzard. :blush:

Great it was having a snowball fight up there (surprised they let us out up there actually) couldnt see much of the view due to the visability.

After bout 30mins came back down to the same sleety scene.

Just wondering if the canary wharf tower at 244 metres could have the same effect?

Posted

Arthur's Seat here in Edinburgh is 250m - bang in the middle of the City Centre. Twice this last winter - snow was on the top - and not in the town. So, yes all the above are possible IMHO.