Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Energy Waste

BARRY

Posted

you drive on the motorway, for miles & miles in the dark and then wham, mile upon miles of totally unnessesery street lights, ok you may say that it for safety reasons but hay when your doing 70mph, street light or no street lights if anything runs out POW. :blush:

so lets switch them off, also lets turn off every other light as well then we would cut carbon emmisions and light pollution

Posted
also lets turn off every other light as well then we would cut carbon emmisions and light pollution

and watch crime levels double or even triple

Posted
and watch crime levels double or even triple

poppycock,if your going to commit a crime and there are no street lights the last thing you would want to do is switch on a torch and be seen

Posted
poppycock,if your going to commit a crime and there are no street lights the last thing you would want to do is switch on a torch and be seen

Ohhhh of course a mugger or a rapist hang about in nice light up areas dont they!

Posted
Ohhhh of course a mugger or a rapist hang about in nice light up areas dont they!

I am agreeing with you here. If we where to turn off the street lights then crime would prehaps double or even triple as they are less likely to be seen and when my strete light was out my car tyres got slashed coincidence?

SNOW-MAN2006

Posted
I am agreeing with you here. If we where to turn off the street lights then crime would prehaps double or even triple as they are less likely to be seen and when my strete light was out my car tyres got slashed coincidence?

SNOW-MAN2006

Exactly! A few years ago a they changed the lights in our old street to ones that reduce light pollution, but for a couple of days we had a big section of the road without lights. In those two nights, 10 cars were broken into.

Posted
you drive on the motorway, for miles & miles in the dark and then wham, mile upon miles of totally unnessesery street lights, ok you may say that it for safety reasons but hay when your doing 70mph, street light or no street lights if anything runs out POW.

Aye to that bit I meant. I don't agree with having unlit streets in town. But I can't really see the reason for lighting sections of motorways, when the vast majority of it is unlit.

Posted
Aye to that bit I meant. I don't agree with having unlit streets in town. But I can't really see the reason for lighting sections of motorways, when the vast majority of it is unlit.

It can help with driver fatigue I find the sections of motorway that have no lights are far more draining than those with lights, it also helps on accident black spots, but having said that the lights could be spaced out alot more than they are.

Posted
you drive on the motorway, for miles & miles in the dark and then wham, mile upon miles of totally unnessesery street lights, ok you may say that it for safety reasons but hay when your doing 70mph, street light or no street lights if anything runs out POW. :lol:

so lets switch them off, also lets turn off every other light as well then we would cut carbon emmisions and light pollution

Nope can't agree with that. There are many other ways to save energy and cut light pollution, that compromising the safety of people at night.

Paul

Posted
Solar paint :doh: paint the roads with it, let it charge up during the day naturally, just alot of painting :blush: :blush:

Roadside monitoring stations (frost, wind, etc) that are in remote areas have solar panels to power them.

Can't they do the same with Motorway lighting? I know that'll need a lot more power but solar panels are getting to be fairly eficient now. :huh:

Perhaps we should have lighting as on the advert - motion sensors to turn the lights on!!! :D

Posted
Roadside monitoring stations (frost, wind, etc) that are in remote areas have solar panels to power them.

But then they would need batteries to store the charge, which is even less green than wasting all this Sodium light.

Posted
Nope can't agree with that. There are many other ways to save energy and cut light pollution, that compromising the safety of people at night.

Paul

nope can't agree with that either get rid of motorway lights and one light in every street and we would save a fortune. we got no lights & for the last 2 decades we havent been afraid of the dark, you may say it's because of where i live but it's no differrent than your town infact just come back from the pub in the dark

Edited by BARRY

Posted
you may say it's because of where i live but it's no differrent than your town infact just come back from the pub in the dark

According to the 2001 survey there were 471 people in Frogmore - how many muggers, rapists and terrorists does that include!!!??? :blush:

Your biggest threat at night is tripping over a pile of dog poo!! :doh:

Admittedly Dawlish Town isn't a lot bigger ( :blush: ) but lighting in a town or city is a must.

Paul

Posted

So you live on a council estate that is known for little sods who take pleasure in damaging other peoples properties for fun, or have 3 attempted murders, 8 muggings and two rapes in the past 6 months do you? and this place is not big, smaller than a town but bigger than a village. 3 years ago we had a power cut that plunged the hole place in darkness for 5 hours, it was reported in the local paper not long after that, the crime rate for that month had doubled for our area, and most were committed on that night.

Edit :- I have just seen Scribbler's post. If that is the amount of people that live in your town/village, how the hell can you compare that to any of the big towns or cities!

Edited by Louby

Posted

hmmm,the main issue of course is power stations must run 24/7. I think you would prob. find all the street lights at night only use the power stations "idle" power anyway.