Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flying Ants

Posted

I've just noticed the start of the 'invasion' of flying ants today. Just a few in the garden, but loads of seagulls having a feast above. Anyone else been infested yet? Not looking forward to next few days if they are about to put in an appearance. :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Flying ants are pretty harmless. Wasps and mosquitos are the only really threatening insects, although many others attack plants.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted

That depends on whether you have an irrational fear of ants though, like I do. lol

Spiders and moths are a bit of a problem for me too - this time of year is a bit of a nightmare for me to be honest, especially with heatwave after heatwave lately!

I have a well established ants nest under the full extent of my patio - I keep hitting it with Jays Fluid and liquid Nippon and traps, but each year they resurface.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
That depends on whether you have an irrational fear of ants though, like I do. lol

Spiders and moths are a bit of a problem for me too - this time of year is a bit of a nightmare for me to be honest, especially with heatwave after heatwave lately!

I have a well established ants nest under the full extent of my patio - I keep hitting it with Jays Fluid and liquid Nippon and traps, but each year they resurface.

Take up keeping ant eaters??? :)

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

No flying ants just yet, they have obviously decided not to brave the Irish Sea!

I remember the Mayflies from a couple of months ago though, eek, that was bad and I mean really bad. The appeared as massive dark clouds hovering from about 8 feet upwards, there were absolutely millions of them. The flashback sends chills down my spine!

Posted
No flying ants just yet, they have obviously decided not to brave the Irish Sea!

Flying ants gatecrashed our street barbecue last Saturday, bringing with them a flock of seagulls (the birds, not the band)... so they could well be crossing the Irish Sea now, Dazza.

Run, run for your life man.

Posted
Flying ants gatecrashed our street barbecue last Saturday, bringing with them a flock of seagulls (the birds, not the band)... so they could well be crossing the Irish Sea now, Dazza.

Run, run for your life man.

Thanks for the heads up Lady P, we have boarded up the windows and are heading for the South West coast as a precaution.

Posted
:) i know flying ants are "harmless" but who has had them infest there house by tunneling through bricks/morter/plaster into the house or nesting in the living room not knowing untill they hatch :)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

This evening has seen the 3rd batch this summer!

Strangely they were tiny flyers, perhaps 1/3 of what might be considered 'normal' size, but there were 1000s of them at around 18.30 .

Posted
This evening has seen the 3rd batch this summer!

Strangely they were tiny flyers, perhaps 1/3 of what might be considered 'normal' size, but there were 1000s of them at around 18.30 .

Snap Andy. We've had our third batch today too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I've noticed in the last week the flying ants have appeared, and they are massive too. What seems to be more of a problem here is red ants, and for some reason they seem a good deal larger this year. Normal black ants though, seem to be rather scarce.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

some wood ants took a fancy to my jam butty the other day. but we don't get swarms of fliers here at all fortunately.

Posted

Saw loads of flying ants this weekend, and also noticed one or two in our back garden as well.

Bloody annoying things...but luckily our cat finds them quite a tasty mouth size nibble.

Posted
Saw loads of flying ants this weekend, and also noticed one or two in our back garden as well.

Bloody annoying things...but luckily our cat finds them quite a tasty mouth size nibble.

Ahhh :lol:

So that was what my cat was eating yesterday evening,

Didint eat much of her food later :lol:

Posted
To date I have not seen any at all ????? Very strange

We've had them, but only for one day - but that was pretty much like some sort of airborne assault.

At least, that's what Kenfig Hill Was Like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Haven't seen any around here, maybe it's been to dry, hot, cool? Or we killed them all last summer B) :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

we had alot of these, only the other week we had some too, but now its gone cooler theyre all gone. Not to return til next summer probably

Posted
What about midges visiting Scotland nxt week for our hols an everyone keeps tellin me we'll get eaten alive! :blink: 0

Anywhere in the highlands (from as far south as Loch Lomond) where you have boggy conditions you will get damn midges: cigarette smoke keeps them ar bay though...

Good luck

ACB

Posted

Yes look out for ticks as well as midges, esp. on wet and muggy evenings. I went to Islay in late May and I must have tweezered out at least 50 ticks from my body after an evening walk. Wear long trousers, sleeves and hat!