Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Leafcutter Bee

Posted

Dad and I were sat in the shade outside earlier this afternoon when we both saw a kind of bee/wasp land on our bench and then disappear under one of the wooden slats. It then reappeared a minute later and flew off before returning carrying a piece of leaf.

We waited for it to leave again before investigating. It was entering a hole (approx 1cm diameter and 1 inch deep) in the bench and creating something of a nest. We debated what it could be, I even said 'maybe it's called a Leafcutter Bee', but had never knowingly heard of them let alone seen one. It was flying to the bushes across the garden to cut the leaves.

I have researched online and sure enough my thoughts were correct....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rwburton/natu...leafcutter/#top

http://search.orange.co.uk/redirect?brand=...cutter_bees.htm

Nature never ceases to amaze me :whistling: (see my sig), we are going to leave it alone to see how the nest progresses. If I get the chance I'll take a picture, but we don't want to disturb the bee by tipping the bench to see the hole more easily.

Has anyone else seen this species? Where was it nesting.

Posted

Andy,

You are not alone!!!!! We had something that we nicknamed the "Magic Bee", which only seemed to appear when we were sat at our patio table......... It too flew back and forth with chunks of leaf tissue, filling in the sunken screw holes on the underside of the wooden table. In fact, it may well have migrated to Wiltshire, because it has been conspicuous by it's absence these last few days :doh:

Paul.

Posted

Yup, I got one too. Constant tooing and froing from my rose bush on the patio. The nest is being made in the soil contained in the plant pot.

Last year we had one making a nest in the gaps in the slabs on the patio. It was quite comical to watch especially when the leaf was too big or the bee forgot which gap to go down.

Posted

post-3549-1153252372_thumb.jpgWe've had them here for years - ever since I started growing roses which was about 12 years ago.

Roses seem to be one of their favourite leaves. The bees in question have now made their nests and aren't cutting any more so I can't give you any pix of the bees.

However, here's one of their typical cutouts.

Edited by Scribbler

Posted

nice pic froggy.. not seen any in this area for about 10 years.. but this year ive seen them make off with apple leaf and bits of leaves from the snowball bush.. nice to see them back.. :whistling:

Posted

We think she is now nesting/hatching because the hole is covered

by a piece of leaf that looks like it's acting as a door :doh: . It's not an

overhanging piece of leaf from inside either.

Guest winemama

Hi there,

I have leafcutter bees in my garden too. I first noticed something 'odd' last year when I emptied my old compost from a basket into the compost bin. There were several of these constructions in the earth but I hadn't a clue as to what they were and forgot about them.

This year, in fact during the last few weeks, I have again noticed these things in two of my baskets/pots in the garden. This time I was fascinated and looked it up on the internet. How interesting!

Now I know they are harmless I shall leave them alone. My worry was that they may hatch out and cause a swarm near the house and didn't want that!

I think I shall leave them there now and see what develops. I DO think they are very clever to cut and carry the leaves likethey do!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

hiya angelswingsuk..

welcome to netweather.. :lol:

the only advice i can give you is to treat the timber with a wood preservative.. wasps are gits and at the moment, very persistive.. the preservative should stop them..

paul