Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports 22nd July 2006

Posted

Second storm of the day here from 2 - 3 pm. Constant rolling thunder and flashes of IC lightning together with very strong gusty wind and torrential rain. Temp dropped to 17C but now rising again.

River is noticeably higher and minor floods on some local roads.

Posted

Very dark with constant thunder/lightning here with torrential rain, streets and gardens flooded, especially outside my back door!

Second storm of the day here from 2 - 3 pm. Constant rolling thunder and flashes of IC lightning together with very strong gusty wind and torrential rain. Temp dropped to 17C but now rising again.

River is noticeably higher and minor floods on some local roads.

Nothing here again all day- no rain, no storm, some wind. We are just 12m N of Stansted and storms here are a rarity. It has been several years since the last serious one. Often, storms seem to split up around this very small area giving us an extremely dry micro-climate. This happened again today and could be clearly seen on the Met. radar. Maybe a consequence of this area being hilly compared with surrounding country - e.g. fens.

Any other members have a similar micro-climate?

G

Posted

Yes. Portsea Island is flanked by two substantial natural habours, shielded from the S-SW by the Isle of Wight, and, to the north, a short, steep escarpment (Portsdown Hill), over which much of the convection activity seems to build, leading to rain/hail/snow to our N. Even when the radar shows action, it often skirts to our E or W. The odd (Winter) easterly/South Easterly can bring some weather at times. I'd say we have a microclimate; so does Hayling Island, to our E, but a slightly drier one, perhaps.

Posted

Hi Polar Low - good to see someone else from Newark!

Storm is now gradually petering out - it went very dark (enough for street lights to come on) and rain was torrential for a while with strong gusty winds.

Thunder every 20 - 30 secs or so at peak - caused several dips in lights and computer to crash.

Most lightning seemed to be C to C, with a few C to G. A few of the latter seemed very powerful, although fewer in number.

Skies now brightening slowly - but still raining. Thunder seems to be moving north, as it often does (down the Trent valley).

Some excitement at last! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Not sure this can be called a storm but at 4.15 it went very black and clouds were boiling. Massive downdraft chucked all the garden furniture round - trees bending etc. Only lasted about 15 seconds but very scary (gust recorded at 47mph) Temperature dropped from 29 to 20 in the space of 3 minutes. Torrential rain and windy (25mph?) for about 10 minutes - garden totally flooded and about 3" in the road - then lighter rain for about half an hour. Faint rumble of thunder and no lightning. Beautifully fresh for a while but getting warmer now and sun coming out. What a waste of water it's all gone down the drains

Edited by Candice

Posted
Hi Polar Low - good to see someone else from Newark!

Storm is now gradually petering out - it went very dark (enough for street lights to come on) and rain was torrential for a while with strong gusty winds.

Thunder every 20 - 30 secs or so at peak - caused several dips in lights and computer to crash.

Most lightning seemed to be C to C, with a few C to G. A few of the latter seemed very powerful, although fewer in number.

Skies now brightening slowly - but still raining. Thunder seems to be moving north, as it often does (down the Trent valley).

Some excitement at last! :)

Exactly the same here mate. Recent lightning has been spectacular but less frequent but thunder has been very loud and strong. When the gust front came through, everything went mad, windows and doors slammed shut and the rain was the most intense Ive seen in a long time. It was coloured white on the radar.

Pics to follow.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Two weak storms here. One Midday and one that started at 16:00. Some welcome rain and at last I can cool my room down.

Good storm here in Rotherham at long last rain is torrential .

Yes it seemed more the East of here. Sad really as it started off really well with two houses being struck.

Rain was nothing like the storm at the beginning of the month.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Confirmation of the torrential rain in Rotherham. It was fantastic, though still not quite up to South African levels. Plenty of lightening and loud thunder and yet the humidity still lingers.

Posted
Two weak storms here. One Midday and one that started at 16:00. Some welcome rain and at last I can cool my room down.

Yes it seemed more the East of here. Sad really as it started off really well with two houses being struck.

Rain was nothing like the storm at the beginning of the month.

We didnt get the torrential rain in the storm earlier this month. It was just 2 hours of heavy rain. Today was much better in south east sheffield. Lightning was better in the storm around midday which was 2 small cells, one over peak district and one over worksop area. These 2 joined up over this part of the world.

As i type there is still some impressive thunder rolling over towards rotherham.

2 pics are of gust front over us at 16.45 this afternoon and one is of this mornings storm clearing to the north.

post-1042-1153588499.jpg

post-1042-1153588548.jpg

post-1042-1153588601.jpg

We didnt get the torrential rain in the storm earlier this month. It was just 2 hours of heavy rain. Today was much better in south east sheffield. Lightning was better in the storm around midday which was 2 small cells, one over peak district and one over worksop area. These 2 joined up over this part of the world.

As i type there is still some impressive thunder rolling over towards rotherham.

2 pics are of gust front over us at 16.45 this afternoon and one is of this mornings storm clearing to the north.

Hi Stu, yes the Thunder is almost dying out now here in Rotherham and the rain was very intense at one stage . Just had one last loud clap ( the one that catches us all out when we think its finished)

Posted

We had a weak storm to the west of us around 8 am this morning but I saw only 1 flash and a few distant rumbles,the radar now shows something more interesting some 50 miles south of me--bring it on.

Posted

just back on line after storm knocked computer and auto wx stn off.

If you look at my web site although it appears okay it did not record the rain on to the web station whilst 'off air'. Fortunately the other link to downstairs kept recording;

rainfall is 17.4mm and still raining slightly, max rainfall rate was re.43.4 mm/hour, at about 1700 I think.

Storm passed about 5 miles to east with second storm either just over or very slightly to west of me. Thunder from this storm(there have been two others during the morning and around mid day, but only 0.2mm of rain when I got back here about 1600, very little c-g but almost constant c-c for 45 mins or more.

17.4 mm is the most rain in any month this year let alone in less than 1 hour. Talking to others in the area they have had quite a bit more, one person has his back garden under water, if you look at amateur wx stn south of here 2 others are also reporting 17mm or more. I'll try and contact one observer about 4 miles from here and ask for his rainfall

Hope everyone is okay

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Another storm this afternoon lasting for over an hour still dull overcast but the sun did manage to shine for a short time. Very humid and sticky. So much for a record July rainfall for Newhall went right out the window you can never count on the weather can you, This is the most rainfall we have had in months will have to check my records to see when it was but can't remember off hand.

Current Weather Conditions

As of:22/07/06 19:20

Temperature: 19.3 °C Wind Chill: 19.3 °C

Humidity: 91 % Heat Index: 20.1 °C

Wind: SW at 1.0 mph Dewpoint: 17.8 °C

Barometer: 1012.3 mb Rain Rate: 0.0 mm/hr

Todays Rain: 17.5 mm Monthly Rain: 31.2 mm

Storm Total: 17.5 mm Yearly Rain: 214.1 mm

High Temperature: 26.7°C 13:37 Low Temperature: 17.7°C 6:07

High Humidity: 96% 9:30 Low Humidity: 61% 13:36

High Dewpoint: 20.0°C 12:08 Low Dewpoint: 14.4°C 5:46

High Wind: 16.0mph 7:26 Low Wind Chill: 17.8°C 5:36

High Barometer: 1014.3mb 0:14 Low Barometer: 1011.0mb 13:44

High Rain Rate: 70.4mm/hr 7:31 High Heat Index: 27.8°C 13:31

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A storm somewhere to the south east of here between 0130 and 0200 this morning. Another storm moved to the W/NW of us between 1050 and 1120, a short period of light-moderate rain with this one, about 0.5mm.

The last storm of the day was from 1550-1640, frequent thunder and lightning with a spell of torrential rain and a longer period of moderate rain.

Total rain from 0900 today was 14.8mm

T.M

Posted

One clap of thunder here at 17:30, rained for a bit but it's now sunny but muggy. Gresford never has thunder!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I'll place my first proper report here. There has been some very good storms this year in the Rugby area, but this was different...

I have never known the wind to be so strong in a storm before. My gazebo was blown to bits and the garden chairs and tables were flung all over, crashing into plant pots and leaving a scatter of debris across the patio. The wind developed some swirling vortexes whipping up leaves and bits of twigs, hurling them into the windows. It was all very dramatic.

Then the rain came. The combination of both the wind and rain reduced the visibility to almost zero. I had to dash upstairs to close my large bedroom window. Although, by the time I had reached my room, the rain was rushing in, producing a spray effect along my wall and drenching the curtains.

It wasn't really until after the wind, and the heaviest of the rainfall, had departed before I could appreciate the lightning to the north. Some spectacular spider forks zig-zagging across the sky. Thoroughly enjoyable :)

Posted

Brighton - 3am - Distant thunder, lots of lightning to my east and west but nothing too close or overhead. Nice view from my window to my east towards Eastbourne, saw lots of nice flashes on the horizon, some that lit up the garden. More thunder again mid morning today, a few close flashes, very heavy rain.

Posted

Who broke the Met Office site?! Or is it just my computer that won't open the page? I've been desperately trying to view the radar sequence for this afternoon, as we had an exceptionally heavy rainstorm at around 2pm this afternoon here in Oxford, accompanied by some thunder and lightning. Roads became rivers for a while. Anyone know where I can find a radar animation for this afternoon to track the storm that passed over?

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

There is some very dark clouds over head at the moment in dartford kent, but looking at met office radar there is nothing but a tiny blue dot near by??? :)

Posted

Torrential rain, gusty winds between 2.30-3.00pm with the odd clap of thunder, then heavy rain for a couple of hours, then light rain. Cheered up about 7ish. Lots of rain, pish poor storm.

Posted
Who broke the Met Office site?! Or is it just my computer that won't open the page? I've been desperately trying to view the radar sequence for this afternoon, as we had an exceptionally heavy rainstorm at around 2pm this afternoon here in Oxford, accompanied by some thunder and lightning. Roads became rivers for a while. Anyone know where I can find a radar animation for this afternoon to track the storm that passed over?

We had the same conditions here.Although not as much rain as on the 5-6th July.Looking at the Met office radar we were in the white (downpour) area for a while.

Edited by Rob_N

Posted

We had 2 storms yesterday - one at 3am in the moning with some rain and a lot of electrical activity and one yesterday afternoon at 1pm. It rained for 2 hours (quite heavy at times) with a lot of lightning activity at the start!

Posted

Had two storms as well yesterday, the first was a night-time storm that gave some great CC display, and the first overnight display for 2 years, the second occured during the early afternoon hours though that was short-lived as it died away.