Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports Wednesday 26th July 2006 Onwards

Nick F

Posted
Power brownout just crashed the PC. Storm moving ENE. Intensity decreasing. Biggest one I've seen in a long while. Current rainfall 8.8mm, 7.8 in the last hour!

Thought I had seen some street lights go out and come back on......

Posted

Been looking for a discussion to reply on - surprisingly the main ones that folk I thought folk would want to look on are closed!

I was surprised on UKMO chart for 1800 hrs to see a trough just off Cornwall that reaches down to NW Spain.

This: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc.gif

Shows that there are storms over NW Spain moving in a northerly direction.

What's the view on where they are going?

dl

Posted

I notice from Devon Lad's post above, there was lots of storm activity earlier in the day (around 9:00 to 10:00am)

over Shetland.

Can anyone (for example Viking 141) confirm this?

Posted
Been looking for a discussion to reply on - surprisingly the main ones that folk I thought folk would want to look on are closed!

I was surprised on UKMO chart for 1800 hrs to see a trough just off Cornwall that reaches down to NW Spain.

This: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc.gif

Shows that there are storms over NW Spain moving in a northerly direction.

What's the view on where they are going?

dl

hi devon lad

i just joined 'the club' tonight and pleased to see i'm not the only one in devon. i'm in exton nr marine camp nr exeter. use woodbury when a storm in starting. which end of blackdown are you ?? b-water or minehaed? and did you hear the rumbles for about an hr around 8Pm? got equipment ready just incase but no joy.. looks like the east is havin all the fun !!

Posted

Large looking storm movin into reading now,logged on quickly to report and shutting down,. looks impressive in the distance ! Wish me luck !

Posted

B) -->

QUOTE(Matt B @ 26 Jul 2006, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Large looking storm movin into reading now,logged on quickly to report and shutting down,. looks impressive in the distance ! Wish me luck !

Very pretty storm in Didcot Oxfordshire at the moment, constent lightning bit of rain but has stoped - Constent lightning continues - very humid atm. I only wish i had a camera to show :( And the comment i made earlyer of sweet fa well, I must remember to think before I post :(

Posted

Hello everyone

Just been on Eastbourne seafront / beach near the Wish Tower watching various storms and special effects from 8.30pm to 10.30pm. Best storm night out in ages...many people on the beach watching it all and I even chatted with some people! I experienced:

• A pink sunset rainbow - in the background you can see the underside / back end of that large MCS that moved up the Dover Strait early this evening
  • Various mammatus and turbulant air clouds
  • Extremely strong winds and gusts caused by downdraughts
  • Sudden changes in wind direction and air temperature....all of a sudden the wind changed and became very warm....amazing feeling!!!
  • Loads of cloud to cloud and cloud to ground strikes over the English Channel watched by me and others with mobile phones recording it....although having to wait a good few mins between strikes.....
  • very little or no thunder / rain....most activity was in the Channel itself

I managed to capture some 3GP video (use Quicktime) on my Samsung D500 of some lightning strikes (first time)...you'll find a great strike at 45 seconds in on 0005 and 1min 40 seconds on 0006.....amazing horizontal lightning strikes.....just zips across :( . The video is looking towards Holywell / Beachy Head (you'll see South Downs cliff edge on right)

The pink sunset rainbow B)

Photo-0003.jpg

MR CB

A wonderful night :) thank you :(

video_0005.3gp

video_0006.3gp

Edited by MR CB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

tonights main storm discussion seems to be going on over here:

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...1587&st=272

Posted

Well captured Mr CB, great footage!

Here, west of Swindon can see sheet lightening and constant distant rumbles to the south. on the basic radar a rogue cell seems to have popped up in South Wilts.

Very sultry at moment here, still 21.4C and humidity up to 68%. Might as well stay up for a bit can`t see me sleeping through this for a while!

Posted

There's currently a very active storm to the south of here - with frequent lightning, but as yet no thunder.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Storms breaking out in a line from S.Wilts/N.Berks to N.Warks/N.Bucks home grown stuff that has developed to north of main band that came up from the channel which is easing off. Storms have a 'tail', which drifts back towards the west country, so although line has moved on, it could keep biting back for a while.

Posted
Storms breaking out in a line from S.Wilts/N.Berks to N.Warks/N.Bucks home grown stuff that has developed to north of main band that came up from the channel which is easing off. Storms have a 'tail', which drifts back towards the west country, so although line has moved on, it could keep biting back for a while.

The storm I'm seeing is skirting to the east of us, but is extremely active. I'm seeing multiple strokes from this one. It's truly amazing to watch :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
The storm I'm seeing is skirting to the east of us, but is extremely active. I'm seeing multiple strokes from this one. It's truly amazing to watch :(

i presume you are near this one :-

Thunderstorm ID H-1917 detected 23:38

Storm location bearing 10.0 dgr distance 84 mi

Last recorded activity 00:54

Intensity class Strong

Intensity trend Weakening

Current strikerate 35/minute

Peak strikerate 60/minute

Total recorded strikes 2805

Cloud-Ground strikes 1546 - 55.12%

Intracloud strikes 1259 - 44.88%

-- Strike type distribution --

Positive Cloud-Ground [+CG] 435 - 15.51%

Negative Cloud-Ground [-CG] 1111 - 39.61%

Positive Intracloud [+IC] 1181 - 42.10%

Negative Intracloud [-IC] 78 - 2.78%

-------------------------------------------------------

Posted

That would be the one, yes. It has weaken somewhat, but it's still putting on a beautiful display.

We've had a small amount of rain in the last 10 minutes, as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
That would be the one, yes. It has weaken somewhat, but it's still putting on a beautiful display.

We've had a small amount of rain in the last 10 minutes, as well.

we got light rain here before the storm got on top of us.

Looking at the radar its now 61 miles , so its heading or recieding south, i suppose.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
massive storm here in market harborough, leics//// .. its overhead... our power has gone twice so far.. just got an electric shock off my computer lol

That's probably the storm I'm now watching to the south-east. It's another one putting on spectacular lightning displays - including a beautiful bolt that formed a 'U' shape out of the cloud. We've also got some moderate rainfall, now.

Posted

I could hear thunder and see lightning to the east of Bristol for about 30 minutes around midnight

yes it might well be! The lightning is intense and so is the thunder. . .my heart has skipped a beat a few times. Its still chucking it down with rain. I'm not sure which way its moving... it seems like its not and is just hovering overhead! lol

Edited by nnppaa

Posted
yes it might well be! The lightning is intense and so is the thunder. . .my heart has skipped a beat a few times. Its still chucking it down with rain. I'm not sure which way its moving... it seems like its not and is just hovering overhead! lol

The Met Office Rainfall RADAR shows the rain moving north eastwards, so I presume it's all moving in the same direction. That does mean we're unlikely to see any over us tonight as the storms coming up from Wiltshire are bypassing us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just got back from storm chasing.

Got my first thunderstorm around Dereham in Norfolk - almost continuous lightning but very little thunder - got some cool footage. Then on my way back home i intercepted a storm around east Nottingham which gave some great night lightning plus a lot of rain water to drive through.

Arrived home to Derby and its bone dry!