Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Dead-heading Tips ?

Posted

We have a Lavatera plant which seems to have run out of flowers, they have all dropped and we have dead-headed it (seed pods as well) - is it likely to have another flush of flowers or is that it for this year ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
We have a Lavatera plant which seems to have run out of flowers, they have all dropped and we have dead-headed it (seed pods as well) - is it likely to have another flush of flowers or is that it for this year ?

I would imagine if the plant hasn't registered that it has set seed it may try a second flourish (Esp. if the weather keeps up) but it may not as well! Worth a try though eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

why did the lavatera plant flush its flowers?

cos it thought it was a toilet!

Posted

Normally Lavateria just keep on blooming from about June through to October so my guess is it's too dry. If you can give the roots a good deep soaking and it should bounce back. I've a L. 'Barnsley' planted last year that's looking magnificent at the moment.

Posted
Normally Lavateria just keep on blooming from about June through to October so my guess is it's too dry. If you can give the roots a good deep soaking and it should bounce back. I've a L. 'Barnsley' planted last year that's looking magnificent at the moment.

I do give it a good dousing every day, and it's had some feed with miraclegrow along with the rest of the flowers about once a week. It's in a big tub about 2ft high and 18" diameter.

I'll keep an eye on any new shoots.

I have one particular basket this year which has amazed me, it's so big mainly with lobelia, I am having trouble finding a hanger with enough stand-off for it, it's been hanging from the porch but have given another a turn out the front for a while.

post-2911-1153952682.jpg