Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Davis Vp2 Wireless - Play Devils Advocate

Posted

Hi,

I have always watched the weather closely, well since I can remeber anyway. Being a keen windsurfer, although too unfit at the moment, I find it essential to monitor the weather.

So I am thinking of getting a weather station, probably the Davis VP2 wireless version. I would love to have people try and talk me out of it as I am sure I could spend the money more wisely elsewhere.

I just love gadgets though, and this can add to my ever growing collection. I always find the fun is in researching buying gadgets, unpacking them and setting them up initially and after that the novelty wears off. So this month I will get a comapny bonus from the sale of the business to the yanks, which will hopefully make up for the 3 years of bonuses we didn't receive prior to the sale!

I have a web site ready for the data, spare pc etc, but I know that the same data is available online from a station not 10 miles from here. I do have one other use for local data and that is to control the climate control for my 1000 ltr marine tank, this is air conditioned as 1200w of light s would cook it in a day, but I could save money by only air conditioning when humidity is high and the evaporative cooling doesn't work effectively, for that I need access to raw data to input to my control system.

Anyway that is stretching a justification, so talk me out of it as I really want one and to become a contributing member to this site.

Discuss!

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

i've got the wireless version and suggest you buy one immeadiatly

Posted
I've got a VP2 and can't fault it I'm afraid. But mine is the wired one.

That's not playing the game OON, how about "It's data you can find online anywhere" or "think about the number of Tequila slammer captions you could have come up with if you weren't trying to set that thing up!" and even "it will scare the hedgehogs away!" :)

Next please!#

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

I have a wireless VP1 and it is the best money I have ever spent.

It is pure joy.

There is no way of talking you out of it.

Just give in now and spare yourself the anguish.

Edited by John Cox

Posted

Arrrgghhh,

You guys are meant to talk me out of it, not encourage me. With renewed vigour I tentatively suggested to the other half I might go and look at getting a weather station tomorrow.... bad move!

"What the hell do you want one of those for, you spend all evening flicking to News24 for the half hourly forecast and when you aren't doing that you are online checking the forecast!" Ripping the curtains open with such force that the wall and my shoddy fixings nearly came down... "look it isn't raining - what more do you want to know!!!?" "Will it tell you the weather tomorrow!"

I sigh heavily...

I had just better get up early before the lazy cow realises I have gone and bought one anyway....lmao! :)

Steve

Posted

Hi windwatcher,

You have a lot to learn.

She will never understand. But you have to convince her that it is what will make you happy.

The next step is to buy it online or whatever and tell her it cost x amount. Not the correct price. She will never understand why it cost so much. It is a man thing (hope there are no girls reading this).

Somehow you have to convince her that it cost a quarter of what it really cost. I did.

Oh joy!!!

Edited by John Cox

Posted

I was really hoping that someone might have talked me out of it! But knowing my nature I would have ignored them anyway..lol.

The fiance is well used to me receiving large deliveries that couldn't possibly have cost more than the packaging!

So I guess, ~I will shortly have a weather station online.

Thanks for not helping

Steve.

Posted

I want one and i'll have one... eventually..

she said.. no greenhouse.. we have one.. she said no radio again.. a have a few.. she said dont fall asleep on the settee again.. but i did.. they have lots to learn... :D

seriously though.. if you have the pennies.. one of the best..

will have one SOON I TELL YA!! :):)

edit.. no webcams either... see below :D

Red Raven's webcam lacks something at night. Can't you get floodlights?

you mean you cant see all those black sheep snuggling up to the camera?? :lol:

Edited by pottyprof

Posted

Well, you guys did such a great job of talking me out of it :doh:

I now have a VP2 up and running, although perching on a ladder at the gable end of the garage trying to fit the anemometer, I had serious doubts as to whether it was worth it!

I have verified the data I'm receiving against local stations and it all seems in line, but need some rain to check that guage!

I need to get/make and extention cable for the anemometer as the supplied one only just reaches the ISS when stretched across the garden! I think that I will decide eventually to move the anemometer onto the gable of the house as I think it will prove to be too sheltered on the garage gable as it is still below local building roof tops. Given this I am considering getting the wireless unit rather than getting/making a cable that may well need to be extended again if I decide to move the anemometer - any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know if you can run an Envoy and console from the same station simultaneously?

Now... to get my website updating with WD, I'll post when it is online.

Thanks, cool toy.

Steve.

Posted

Just to say that my site is up and running and can be found in my signature, I haven't finished the site yet so some links don't work. The station is up and running though, so far I am really impressed with it.

The software WD and WDL will take some working out to get the best out of it.

All fun

Steve

Posted
Just to say that my site is up and running and can be found in my signature, I haven't finished the site yet so some links don't work. The station is up and running though, so far I am really impressed with it.

The software WD and WDL will take some working out to get the best out of it.

All fun

Steve

Jolly smart! Er...you might need to set some of the gauges... :D Can I have one? :)

Posted
Jolly smart! Er...you might need to set some of the gauges... :D Can I have one? :)

Thanks,

Set some guages? I you mean annual totals...then yes! otherwise they should all be set, apart from UV/Solar as it is dark.

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

i makes sense - having a vp2 that is

..and sorry oon the planners would shoot me if i put up some floodlights!

Posted

Well done Steve,

I like the style of your site. Uncluttered and easy to navigate.

I hope you enjoy your VP as much as I enjoy mine.