• Aurorae
    • Comets
    • Transits
    • Conjunctions
    • Occultations
    • Novae
    • Meteor showers

Posted

Northern Lights...absolutely amazing and so much better than the south-eastern lights which just look like an orange glow each night. I got some shots in 1996 which I've just found again, but they're scanned in so they're not great.

post-717-1154869229_thumb.jpg post-717-1154869254_thumb.jpg post-717-1154869265.jpg

You can make out Lyra (The Harp) just above the tree in the last shot. Must have been April time then, as that was facing north-east.

Posted

Northern lights.

:)

I must of missed the ones in 96,was that in spring or autumn??

Saw the ones in 2000 spectacular.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
April 96 I think...could have been 95 though, but was definitely April.

OON

Are you sure it was April 1996 and not April 2000. The most spectacular aurora since March 1989 to be seen from the UK was in April 2000.

What I remember April 1996 for was the total lunar eclipse and comet Hyakutake, I don't recall spectacular aurorae. :)

Posted

An Intense meteor shower is amazing...i just love to watch them...especially if you live somewhere with very little light pollution and no moon shine...its so spooky to watch!!

Posted
OON

Are you sure it was April 1996 and not April 2000. The most spectacular aurora since March 1989 to be seen from the UK was in April 2000.

What I remember April 1996 for was the total lunar eclipse and comet Hyakutake, I don't recall spectacular aurorae. :)

You're right....I'm way off. I was thinking it was 1996 because it was two years before I moved house, however, I got the wrong move! This would put it at April 2000, so yes...well done!

smart-arse

Posted

I have a telescope and in the old days of my youth used to go on astronomical weekends. My favourite sight was galaxies beyond the Milky Way. I used to try and find various Messier objects, and others. Although usually faint blobs in the viewfinder, there was something I cannot begin to describe about seeing light that had taken millions of years to reach my viewfinder, despite travelling at 299,792,458 metres a second ... something to do with awe. But I also found it strangely comforting. It reminds me of the epitaph of two astronomers: 'We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'.

Posted
OON

Thanks for that.

The ones in 1989 were unprecidented they lit the whole landscape up,they were seen in africa even :) never known nothing like that.

The 1st time I saw them was in 1986 didn`t know what they were at the time as it was the 1st time I saw them, that was springtime,nice greenish tint then.

It was like a false sunset to start off with.

Guest Viking141

Without doubt the Northern Lights.

Living where I am I'm fortunate to see them on a fairly regular basis. They dont call them the "heavenly dancers" for nothing. To see them changing colours and shimmering across the night sky is a truly wonderful sight.

Hopefully I'll get some piccys of them this year!

:)

Posted
I remember when the landlord at the pub told me that the northern lights were caused by light reflecting off the Arctic ice caps.

Silly sod.

Someone told me when I was a kid that Britain stood on three enormous pillars in the sea - like an oil rig. I believed this for years and years, even after I had completed my education in geography and must have known it was complete fabrication. Very odd. Even to this day I still wonder about the 3 pillars holding up the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I like meteors , the best, i have seen two good ones The best was in the late 70s, it made some papers and local TV (look north then).

I was in bed with the curtains closed, the whole room lit up like nothing i have seen before or since, then there was a long thunderous very basey rumble, which scared the s**t out of everybody and all the animals for miles freaked. I was in Macclesfield Cheshire at the time.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Solar eclipse for me. Only seen the one, and it will probably be my one and only.

Before I turn me toes up I will see the Northern Lights, and that may well eclipse my eclipse experience :)

Any witnessed astral phenomenon doo doop ee do dooh is always momentary magic.

Posted
Even to this day I still wonder about the 3 pillars holding up the country.
The pillars of truth, justice and British fair play aren't they? Or am I thinking of something else?

Posted