Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

11th August 1999: Eclipse Memories

Posted

Believe it or not, it is nearly 7 years since the total eclipse of the sun touched British soil on the 11th August 1999.

Here's some memories of that day

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2494687.stm

From Manchester, we had a fairly good view of the 90% eclipse. The sky at the height of the eclipse was weird with a slate grey around the crescent sun and a purple sky generally. The sky was noticeably darker to the south than to north as you were looking deeper into the shadow of the eclipse. The temperature dropped, an odd breeze got up and there was a strange weak light, ghostly light and it was harder to make out the cumulus clouds to the south. Although it was hard to detect because your eyes adapt to slow changes, there was a noticeable drop in light levels. Cumulus clouds that had formed decayed just after the height on the eclipse due to the weakening of convection.

There will be a couple of near misses with paths of totality passing close to the UK in the next 25 years.

20th March 2015, total eclipse from the Faeroes, the UK will see a partial eclipse of >80%, the further northwest you are the larger the partial will be

12th August 2026, the path of totality sweeps from western Iceland down the Atlantic to the west of Ireland and into Spain near sunset. The UK will witness a partial eclipse of at least >85%, the further west you are the larger the partial will be.

The next solar eclipse visible from the UK is on the 1st of August 2008.

Most of the Channel Islands will see totality on the 3rd of September 2081

The next total eclipse that will touch British soil is on 23rd of September 2090 where the SW, south Wales and southern England as far north as south London will see a total eclipse close to sunset.

Posted
The next total eclipse that will touch British soil is on 23rd of September 2090 where the SW, south Wales and southern England as far north as south London will see a total eclipse close to sunset.

Oh good I look forward to it, I'll be 112 by then B) .

I remember it being a cloudy day, but one with a decent view of the eclipse from time to time as it wasn't thick cloud. I think I was under the 97% coverage zone. A very noticable darkening happened in the latter stages (after I had decided it wouldn't be memorable) and this was accompanied by birds going through dusk routines and a decent drop in temperature on what was already a coolish day.

Posted

Wasn't very total up here, but it was still an amazing sight, with the light turning very eery. What I'll never forget though is my stupid inbred neighbours removing the rust off the inside of oil drums with old drills even during a once in a lifetime event. They were probably scared the big sky dragon wouldn't give the sun back if they stopped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Don't get me started on the subject lol. It was a really amazing eerie and mystical event that I will never forget, Watched it in my back garden when I lived in Plymouth..Didn't actually see it but seen it go dark and the birds stopped singing too.

Posted

I was on a family holiday in Cornwall at the time, we'd rented out a house for the week right on the sea front. The conditions were appalling: very overcast (and wet), but the moment of darkness is not something I'll forget. The movement from light to pitch black and then back to light; the sudden cooling and warming; the sight of the seagulls rushing from the harbour out to sea and then flocking back again a few seconds later was impressive.

Posted

I remember seeing that, also there was quite abit of cloud about but there was so gaps about but we see the sun as the cloud was thin,the clouds were a darkish brown colour it looked strange.

The sky was a strange colour too if I remember not your normal twilght.

Posted

Was on Salcombe beach, drove down through downpours and the big day was grey and horrible. Even so the speed with which the darkness arrived at totality was amazing, as was seeing all the seabirds flying in as the moment approached, and the lighthouses coming on. I'll never forget it, it was still better to experience totality darkness under cloudy muck than see a partial one without the cloud.

Of all the eclipses I could have seen (including 2 recently) the weather has only co-operated for one- that of May 2003 when I saw the sun rise as a huge red crescent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

my first neice was born on that day, so a very special day for me....i remember the partial eclipse here very well. My neices middle name is 'phoebe' which means Moon Goddess :)

Posted

I had to stay inside with all the curtains drawn because Eldest was only 18months old (and youngest 6 weeks old) and couldn't be prevented from looking at the sky... and we all know the dangers of looking at the sun.

Don't we boys and girls?