Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Crop Marks

kar999

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

"Freak weather conditions have turned the Shropshire countryside into a map of the county’s past.

The recent heatwave in the country and lack of rain has scorched our fields and left so-called crop marks at the sites of lost or unknown ancient settlements and monuments."

Shropshire Star

I've seen these before in dry summers. I'm looking forward to reading the full article in tonights local paper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I love the subject, whenever i see local history revealed like that, especially near home, Very interesting.

Regardless of how far away I am, I would be interested in seeing the rest of the photos in the paper anyway, i expect it would infringe copyright if you posted them though.

Here is a sample of some of my local area which I look for traces of the past in, sorry about the scribbling,it happens that this shot was at hand :)

post-4726-1155247017_thumb.jpg I could have posted a better one but thats on a hard drive i canot acesse without turning off completly first.

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

Cool find Kar, very interesting subject that. Reminds me of watching Time Team :) .

Posted

Good aren't they? My friend Bob spends all summer in a plane in weather like this, looking for new sites. Alot of sites remained almost unknown until the 2nd world war, when people started spotting crop marks from planes. The weird thing is that for some reason some show up one year and not another, whilst others are always there: all to do with soil type and depth.

More crop marks:

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/04fs/sc...logy/fsarch.htm

Though not crop marks here's some more fab aerial shots:

http://www.wdi.co.uk/air/photos.html

And here's a good explanation:

http://aarg.univie.ac.at/ (click on the Aerial Archaeology link)

Posted
"Freak weather conditions have turned the Shropshire countryside into a map of the county’s past.

The recent heatwave in the country and lack of rain has scorched our fields and left so-called crop marks at the sites of lost or unknown ancient settlements and monuments."

Shropshire Star

I've seen these before in dry summers. I'm looking forward to reading the full article in tonights local paper.

I will get my dad to save his and have a read next week, looks very interesting :)

Posted
I would be interested in seeing the rest of the photos in the paper anyway, i expect it would infringe copyright if you posted them though.

I'll scan the page over the weekend and pm you a pic. I could post it on here and give credit to the photgrapher and the paper but not sure about copyright issues so I'll wait for a mod to give guidance on that one.

The page is however already on the Shropshire Stars' website but its not very big!

http://www.shropshirestar.com/storage/edit...9/sitespage.jpg

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I spotted a very clear (what I took to be an ) enclosure to the south of my old village (Midgeley, Halifax) one spring (maybe 1991) as the field grew incredibly well over the 'ditch'. It was a good 150m across and had a N.E. facing entrance. Of course it didn't show there after and the areal survey flew over the year after (when it wasn't visible).

Posted
I'll scan the page over the weekend and pm you a pic. I could post it on here and give credit to the photgrapher and the paper but not sure about copyright issues so I'll wait for a mod to give guidance on that one.

The page is however already on the Shropshire Stars' website but its not very big!

http://www.shropshirestar.com/storage/edit...9/sitespage.jpg

That's very good of you, thank you.

I am working at the moment(!), tonight i'll post a few pictures, of our local stuff, much better than the one i posted.

Russ.

Posted

Hi as promised arial photos i took in the dry Spring of 1997.

post-4726-1155329255_thumb.jpg 9 tumuli in this one, not all are visible, very rare to see anything on this field.(in the middle)

post-4726-1155329233_thumb.jpg This is not a scheduled monument yet, but I like to think it is a good one, its at the very top of a hill. Its got to be somthing good :)

post-4726-1155329211_thumb.jpg The County archaeologist went and had a look after i had shown him this one, its an Enclosure.

post-4726-1155329190_thumb.jpg Ancient field system, and lots more.

post-4726-1155329276.jpgAncient field system.

i must have another go at that some day, I did enjoy myself. :)

Posted

Great shots there thanks. As promised I will scan the article from the paper over the weekend and sent it to you.

Posted

Here's a scan of the article.

Credit to The Shropshire Star, Ben Bentley and the photgrapher Chris Musson. ( I hope that any covers copyright issues.)

(Rustynailer... I'm not sure how to attach pix in pm so I've posted it here instead. pm me if you want me to send it via e-mail.)

Edit .... having upload problems here with a file that's too big.. sorry, will try and resolve most likely tomorrow!

Edited by kar999

Posted

Try Again!

Credit to The Shropshire Star, Ben Bentley and the photgrapher Chris Musson.

post-1596-1155401343_thumb.jpg

(Sorry it got slightly cropped on the right hand side.)

Edited by kar999

Posted

Thanks for that Kar. fasinating :)

No doubt the same is true all over the still parched areas of the UK.

Mmmm, i would realy like to fly about in a light plane at the moment :lol: