Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2 Years Today.

conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Astonishing storm in the Boscastle area, though I remember that fortunately there were few casualties.

In the North East it was a day of sunshine and showers, I remember it being a bit of a relief from the sea fog that had hung around for the previous fortnight, but of course it wasn't a relief for the SW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
Astonishing storm in the Boscastle area, though I remember that fortunately there were few casualties.

In the North East it was a day of sunshine and showers, I remember it being a bit of a relief from the sea fog that had hung around for the previous fortnight, but of course it wasn't a relief for the SW.

Wasn't there a similar event in Perthshire (Loch Earn I think) about 2 or 3 days later?

Edited by Anti-Mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I didn't know about the event, but yes, you're right. I remember some severe thunderstorms in Tyne & Wear on the evening of the 18th August 2004, and apparently according to Internet sources, flash flooding occurred around Loch Earn that same evening and washed away a footpath. The Wetterzentrale lightning archives suggested that the floods were associated with the same area of storms that affected Tyne & Wear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
I didn't know about the event, but yes, you're right. I remember some severe thunderstorms in Tyne & Wear on the evening of the 18th August 2004, and apparently according to Internet sources, flash flooding occurred around Loch Earn that same evening and washed away a footpath. The Wetterzentrale lightning archives suggested that the floods were associated with the same area of storms that affected Tyne & Wear.

I was driving from Middlesbrough to Perth at the time and I remember it was a bit hairy at times! When I got to my parents the incident at Lochearnhead was on the news. T. Harley makes mention of it:

There was some excep[tionally heavy rain in Cornwall on the 16th (some parts saw 75 mm in 24 hours; and Otterham had 200.4 mm in 24 hours, with 197 mm in 4 hours and nearly 100 mm in an hour) led to exceptionally severe flash-flooding and destruction in the Boscastle region. Heavy rain in central Scotland led to a mudslip on the A85 and A84 near Lochearnhead on the 18th that buried several cars.

• 9 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Rrea00120040816.gif

From the chart for that day, u can see that there was a lot of low pressure about which meant low heights and showery weather over the British Isles, unfortunately, Bostcastle was cought out.

Posted
Rrea00120040816.gif

From the chart for that day, u can see that there was a lot of low pressure about which meant low heights and showery weather over the British Isles, unfortunately, Bostcastle was cought out.

I was in Cornwall when Boscastle flooded about 20 miles down the coast near Newquay. Amazingly the weather there was fine. Infact I was on the beach at the time! That said it was a pretty rainy two weeks in Cornwall we just happened to miss that Particular storm.

:D