Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports 16th August Onwards

Matt B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

What a night last night. Thunderstorm started at midnight and lasted to 5am, some very close lightning and the thunder shook the house. Had numerous power cuts. Totally unexpected as we were forecasted a mostly dry night with an odd shower- the rain was torrential!

Posted

Lots of rumbles of thunder. Not much lightning, though. Steady rain for past half and hour

Posted

Still raining here in luton with the odd rumble around.

this morning i emptied a bowl of rain water that had fallen overnight it had 2" in it, ive just been out again and its got another 2" of rain water in it, the garden looks like the somme at the moment due to the fact we are landscaping it and all the hollows are filled to the top with muddy water.

It takes a fair while for the water to drain away here in Luton due to the fact we have a deep level of chalk under a few inches of topsoil and we are prone to flash flooding.

UPDATE: sun is out now and rain has now stopped for the time been

LO

Edited by Luton Observation

Posted

Can report my 4th storm (I suppose the ones over Newquay don't really count). Looking at satellite imagery it's supposed to have hit us around 2pm, but, to be honest, it's been so quiet at times I couldn't really tell. I think we had one close CG, and the thunder quickly followed, but it sounded lazy rather than energetic. Last time I heard anything was a few minutes ago, so God knows where it's headed or how strong it is now. In fact, it seemed pretty fast moving, despite the insistence on the BBC and ITV weather forecasts, that any storm would be slow moving.

Oh, and so far the NW Lightning detector is the only one that's picked it up!

Sun's out now!

Edited by Damone

Posted

There's a storm here, but it's very weak and mainly consists of heavy rain. The sky's gone very dark, mind.

Posted
Tornado reported in Baston Lincolnshire. Several injured as it touched down and destroyed a hut people were sheltering in!

First March, now Baston, where next :(

LM

ex daily mail web site

Four people were taken to hospital after a freak tornado lifted a portable building into the air and dragged it for up to 70 feet.

The injured were archaeologists and archaeology students working at a sand and gravel pit at Baston in south Lincolnshire.

The tornado, which struck at around 3pm Thursday, was seen from several miles away by eyewitnesses. One man described debris, including planks of wood and pieces of metal, being sucked up to 200 feet into the air.

A spokeswoman for Cemex, which owns the site, said a total of five people had been hurt when the temporary building rolled over in the high winds. Four were taken to Peterborough District Hospital by ambulance while a fifth was treated on site. Those taken to hospital were said to have non-life threatening injuries.

The team were on the site working for archaeological consultants brought in by Cemex to examine part of the site prior to quarrying.

The Cemex spokeswoman said: "There was a steel container on the site being used for a canteen and it seems those working there took shelter in it from the extreme weather conditions.

"The container was lifted by the high winds and rolled a number of times causing the injuries."

In a statement issued later by the company the spokeswoman added: "CEMEX confirms that four people have been taken to hospital with minor injuries after a steel container they were using for shelter was lifted into the air and rolled over several times by tornado-like weather conditions.

"An additional person received cuts and bruises that were dealt with on site."

The five had been engaged by Northampton Archaeology to carry out an archaeological survey at CEMEX's Manor Pit Quarry in Baston Fen, Lincolnshire prior to sand and gravel extraction commencing at the site.

Youth worker Denham Hughes, 42, saw the tornado develop from his home in the nearby village of Langtoft.

He said: "I was working outside when at about 3pm it starting going very very dark. The clouds were rotating and it was getting a little bit scary. I called my wife and daughter to come and look.

"It then progressed into a funnel and I could see it moving north towards Baston. I could see sheets of metal and planks of wood being sucked up into it. They were being sucked up to a height of 100 or 200 feet.

"I could see the wind rotating and getting faster and faster. I watched the bottom of it split from the top of the rotating winds, then it joined up again.

"I drove past Baston quarry and a guy there told me that there had been some people injured when a building had been picked up and thrown 70 feet. It was clearly very very localised but it was spinning immensely fast."

:(

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

As they say arouind here .. "It's gone black over Bill's Mothers, I hope she's got her washing in"

Bill's Mothers being to my South. Thundering now but no rain as the storm is approaching.

Posted

Still dark here and the is storm's producing lightning at a rate of about one a minute. Any rain is very light, at the moment.

Posted

We had a second storm pass over Towcester, South Northants at about 1:30pm today, Lots of CG's and some of the heaviest rain I've ever seen, flooded many local roads. Also we some very close CG strikes almost overhead, which knocked out the power for 30 mins.

Edited by rob_weiss

Posted

Two more from this afternoon bringing the day's total to 4 or 5 depending on your take of the possible MCS in this region very early on.

1.A weak storm moved to my SE over Salisbury Plain gioving a few rumbles at about 14.20.

2. A storm to my NW then N with a flash observed and 5/6 rumbles. Look like producing a funnel until the wall cloud was obscured by rain.

Posted

Heavy rain this morning with 1 rumble of thunder. Heavy rain at lunch time too. Passing storm about 10 miles away at 5.30 pm brought some great cloud structure to the east with around 10 loud rumbles.

Edited by stumathers