Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Today's Sun: An Idiotic Article By Nick Francis

Posted

I think some people are still missing the point regarding the Sun newsstory - which accused Rick Wild and an unnamed person at the PA Weather Centre of forecasting hot weather in August, and therefore getting it wrong.

Had they done so, then the criticism is fine. But neither Rick nor anyone at the PA Weather Centre made any such forecast!

So they have been singled out for public criticism for something they didn't do. That is simply not on :angry:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
I'm also of the opinion that it's not the forecasters who are to blame.

It would help if they had more time to deliver the forecast so that individual counties could be mentioned by name where appropriate.

This would clear up such misunderstandings as to whether your particular location was in south west England/ south west midlands, north midlands/northern England etc etc.

The name of the county where you happen to live would be a certain attention grabber and would enable people to focus on what was being said at the right time in the forecast.

The whole issue of time allocation to forecasts is another can of worms entirely and not likely to improve any time soon.

T.M

TM they actually do mention spefic areas when theres a good reason to do so. I've certainly heard them do it when heavy Snow or Storms are likely for example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The Sun does it all the time...get over it.......all part of its 'charm' so to speak. Now stop moaning, my head hurts...

Posted

I have to say in regards to poor forecasting this weekends forecast from Peter Cockroft for the London area was nothing short of diabolical! He said" well this weekend look like mainly being dry on Saturday and Sunday and possibly Monday too but then went on to say Monday could be 50/50 for some showery activity". Well trying to interperate the synopsis charts yesterday it was all plain even to me that this weekend was not going to be dry - is it a case of putting out a forecast of what people want to hear on the busiest weekend of a wet August?

Well today anyway I have been proven correct as we have been experiencing frequent showery bursts - where did this forecast come from by Peter Cockroft?

Posted

Hi chaps,

Thanks for bringing this news article to my attention. Yes I was irritated, not just for myself, but for WeatherNet, the PA and other respected meteorologists as a whole, being criticised in a derogatory unprofessional style when the source quotations drawn upon by Mr Nick Francis of The Sun newspaper were never made by myself nor by Paul, Bren et al. at the PA.

Personally I do not mind criticism on my comments or weather forecasts that do not follow the prediction, but I do not appreciate it when my words are misinterpreted, misquoted and sometimes fabricated. Perhaps some journalist have ‘selected hearing’ or even hidden agenda(s) to sell newspapers.

As professionals we all knew August was not expected to be exceptional in comparison to June and July. It seems the media held an intention to carry on with a perception that the previous two months hot weather would continue into August – purely based upon a quotation with no merit, source or foundation. When this failed to transpire, meteorologists were the people held to account.

Having read the article in The Sun newspaper late yesterday afternoon, I contacted Mr Francis to discuss the matter. I told him in a polite, firm way what I thought and what comments were made on this forum of his article. The rogue quotation(s) used by Mr Francis is deemed in the public domain and as a result The Sun newspaper can not be held for libel.

Mr Francis personally apologised to me for my name being published next to a misquote and to meteorologists in general for the article. Mr Francis made it quite clear that if a meteorological opinion was required in the future he would contact the organisations concerned (WeatherNet, PA, MO etc.) to ensure that quotes already in the public domain were correct before reiterating them in a new news story.

Time will tell to see if this will happen. On this occasion, I and WeatherNet have had to accept a verbal apology. I have emailed Mr Francis. If a reply is forthcoming I will update you all via the forum.

Regards

Rich

Dr Richard Wild BSc (Hons) PhD FRMetS FRGS

Weather Services Commercial Manager – WeatherNet Ltd

TORRO Director – Head of Heavy Snowfalls and Blizzards

Posted

well done Richard, even a verbal apology is something from the Press. I don't ever recall receiving such an accolade when I spent several years being misquoted when at Manchester Weather Centre, including the BBC, a certain Stuart Hall usually being the culprit.

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Well said Richard

However I'd expect him to ask you for a quote and then change it to suite his agenda.

Best way sadly is not to talk to them and just let them make it up cos thats what they'll do anyway.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
I think some people are still missing the point regarding the Sun newsstory - which accused Rick Wild and an unnamed person at the PA Weather Centre of forecasting hot weather in August, and therefore getting it wrong.

Had they done so, then the criticism is fine. But neither Rick nor anyone at the PA Weather Centre made any such forecast!

So they have been singled out for public criticism for something they didn't do. That is simply not on :o

I've lost count of the number of taxi drivers recently who've said to me "we never got the hot weather we were promised in August". Who made this promise that's what I want to know? It's becoming the stuff of an urban myth.

Posted

So..... the tabloids are mis-quoting yet again :lol:

They just get worse and worse!

Imagine if they started trawling the net forums for their 'sources'

Who knows? - next year you may see this.

post-3741-1157011457.jpg

(advance apologies to Mr CSF - all tongue in cheeks old chap :) )

Posted

I like it, I'm sure our Looton snow adviser will be amused.

John

Posted

Very well done luv it

Posted

And so a miserable, angry thread about yet another media mis-quotation of the weather suddenly turns much brighter at a mention of the Mr.Crazysnowfan... what can't he do eh! :rolleyes::)

WBSH

Posted
And so a miserable, angry thread about yet another media mis-quotation of the weather suddenly turns much brighter at a mention of the Mr.Crazysnowfan... what can't he do eh! :):D

WBSH

Sadly he can't make it snow in Lootons :) :lol: :rolleyes: