Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Canadian Autumn/winter Thread

Posted

As I live in Canada I thought I would have one thread for Canadian weather for this Autumn and Winter, to cut down on loads of separate ones...mainly from me admittedly. Feel free to post pics or any reports of weather from anywhere within Canada here:

Firstly, from here in the Rockies, there has been a big change in the past 2 days, with snow now on the mountains and more noticebly the leaves turning yellow on some trees so quickly, within the space of a few days.

The high pressure that has dominated our weather for the past week has moved eastwards to allow a cold front shift in from the northwest, with lots of precip, which has turned to snow above about 6000ft

However, this is forecast to be shortlived as another high pressure builds from the pacific and shifts eastwards over BC and Alberta for the weekend, dragging in warmer air from the south and southwest, bringing temps back up to around 23oC

Pics taken today (31st Aug)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Wow, that first picture is exelent, even better than your green/blue lakes. i love it :)

Its the snow on the laired rock strata.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Nice pictures there. We've had a more or less perfect summer here in Vancouver and coastal BC, except for the fact that some places are facing major water shortages (not the greater Vancouver area, we have very deep reservoirs). It has probably rained a total of three hours since the middle of June here. Thursday was a crystal clear day with a high of 24 C and very low humidity.

You may have noticed a picture I posted in the photos section showing smoke haze from forest fires in early August, over east-central British Columbia. Here' another picture from the same mountain showing some of the alpine flowers that grow wild in this area.

post-4238-1157077041.jpg

Posted

Indeed, and we have been affected by forest fires with some very smokey days, whether its from the BC fires or the Montana fires I really dont know

Posted

I know Canada is a big country but what's the general thoughts as regards to LRF's for this Autumn and Winter out there? as I have a friend who is going to Toronto for a fortnight in late October, didn't you just have one of the mildest winter's on record?

Posted

We did indeed have one of the mildest winters on record, and ironically it was warmer here at Christmas then in the UK

I know the forecastors are going with a snowier and colder winter this year for the west, but that isnt rocket scientist after having a mild winter

I'll see if I can find some official literature on the subject and post it here

(PS - no signs of winter yet with temps set to reach 30oC for the 3rd day running here in Alberta)

Here is a link to The Weather Networks Canadian Fall forecast:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/outlooks/seasonal/

Posted

The transition from warm to cold will occur this week over the west of Canada. We are expecting to be on the east side of a high pressure, with a front moving down from the north, accompanied by winds almost from the arctic here in Alberta. Temps are forecast to be just above freezing with rain/sleet (with snow on the hills) by the end of ther week. Maybe even the possibility of some wet snow overnight Wed/Thurs.

Will keep you updated as the week progresses.

Posted

As per the weather forecast from The Weather Channel @ 10pm on Monday 11th Sep

As a low pressure system develops around the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Alberta, and winds veer to the North, cold air will turn the precipitation wintry around Wednesday night into Thursday (48-60 hours). The forecastor stated 'Potential for a significant snow event in the Rockies'

Whether this will be at higher altitude to where I am is yet to be determined. Again updates will be posted here

Suggestion is to watch out for webcams in Lake Louise, Banff or Canmore (the 3 highest townsites in the Albertan Rockies) Wednesday night into Thursday

Posted

I was woken at about 1:30 am this morning with what I assume was the cold front passing through with extremely strong winds

Temperatures a lot colder today, currently at 7oC (midday) after yesterdays high of approx 22oC

Have been advised that we could get upwards of 4 inches of snow by tomorrow morning, as temps drop overnight turning the rain to snow

Here is a link from the weather network detailing this - http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/c...es/CAAB0053.htm

Posted

Its a shame the temperature is no longer on your website as i enjoyed seeing what the temp was.

Looks thundery there atm.

Posted

Current conditions at 8am:

Moderate snow

Temps - 2oC

Winds NE

Here's a view from the east wing balcony:

(weird to see snow on green leaves)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Rnamavn1201.png

Very wintry scene, and good information.

Just thought i would bring to your attention, another cold air intrusion in around five days..

Posted
Current conditions at 8am:

Moderate snow

Temps - 2oC

Winds NE

Here's a view from the east wing balcony:

(weird to see snow on green leaves)

not only weird for snow to be on green leaves but strange to even see snow so early in the season. you lucky man you :)

Posted

Hi SB

Yes I was looking at next week, thanks for the post about that....could be interesting

Posted
not only weird for snow to be on green leaves but strange to even see snow so early in the season. you lucky man you :)
yes hes so lucky isnt he ,great pic btw Edited by angela lynne

Posted

UPDATE: 8:25PM (Mountain Time)

After 14 hours of continual snow, approx 3-4 inches (7-10 cm's) has amounted on surfaces that are cool enough for it to settle...only just starting to settle on pavements though. At higher elevation it is 20-30cm's (8-12 inches)

Forecast is for another 10 to 20 cms overnight (4-8 inches)

Good news is that this precip is reaching into BC, which is helping the forest fires a lot

Picture taken at 8:25pm (Thursday)

-----

UPDATE: 10:00PM

Heavy snow with settling on pavements and roads...conditions dangerous, icy underfoot and on the roads...an extra inch has fallen in the past hour...keep posted for more updates

Posted

Nice to see the snow starting to arrive!

Snow fell in the mountains of Oregon yesterday. A great picture on the weather Channel of a guy in shorts and flip-flops walking through snow!

Today, snow has been falling in Montana and is forecast to cross into North Dakota. What a difference a few days makes! Some towns are forecast to have a max of around 6 or 7oC over the next couple of days. Down from from the mid twenties recently.

I know that just about every year sees this happen in the US and Canada, but as a snow lover it's a dream seeing snow on the map in September!

Posted
Nice to see the snow starting to arrive!

Snow fell in the mountains of Oregon yesterday. A great picture on the weather Channel of a guy in shorts and flip-flops walking through snow!

Today, snow has been falling in Montana and is forecast to cross into North Dakota. What a difference a few days makes! Some towns are forecast to have a max of around 6 or 7oC over the next couple of days. Down from from the mid twenties recently.

I know that just about every year sees this happen in the US and Canada, but as a snow lover it's a dream seeing snow on the map in September!

Its definately strange feeling when last week I was sunbathing at the lakes in 30oC heat and then this week walking in half a foot of snow...

UPDATE - 16th Sep

Approx 6-8 inches fell in the valley, with over a foot in higher communities, and 2 feet on the mountains. Many tree branches down due to the weight of the snow:

Posted
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I have just been looking at the charts and data, and it looks as though a trough will cross the entire length of Canada, bringing with it a Polar incursion.

Posted

Potential for an Artic Outflow into the middle of next week (around Wednesay Oct 11th) for the Central prairies with some extremely cold air and possibility of snow

Updates to follow

Posted
Potential for an Artic Outflow into the middle of next week (around Wednesay Oct 11th) for the Central prairies with some extremely cold air and possibility of snow

Updates to follow

Looks that way. The same weather is heading for the MidWest US