Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Canadian Autumn/winter Thread

Posted

After a few weeks of fairly non descript weather here in Alberta, it looks set to become much colder, with daytime highs by the weekend of minus 15oC

BC coast could be looking at further rainfall amounts up to the weekend, not helping with the current flooding issues

The east has seen some extremely warm temps with New Foundland recorindg 16oC yesterday, but looks to become more seasonal

Still as yet relatively little in the way of lake effect snow around the Great Lakes, after the big hits at the beginning/middle of October. All has been fairly quiet since.

Posted
After a few weeks of fairly non descript weather here in Alberta, it looks set to become much colder, with daytime highs by the weekend of minus 15oC

BC coast could be looking at further rainfall amounts up to the weekend, not helping with the current flooding issues

The east has seen some extremely warm temps with New Foundland recorindg 16oC yesterday, but looks to become more seasonal

Still as yet relatively little in the way of lake effect snow around the Great Lakes, after the big hits at the beginning/middle of October. All has been fairly quiet since.

i know you are not native to the country rich, but is the current set-up a new scenario or has the late progression into winter been a regular thing?

Posted
i know you are not native to the country rich, but is the current set-up a new scenario or has the late progression into winter been a regular thing?

The locals here in Alberta are saying that its late this year with the cold, and the BC coast are having record rains, with warm temps.

The really cold air has been a bit further north this year into Northern BC/NWT. The East have also been having warmer weather than normal, and especially the lakes, so on the whole it appears to be a slightly warmer and less snowy November than usual so far

I have an inkling it will all change shortly though

Posted

and thats the difference between where you are and us. the change will be a complete difference to current conditions. but over here any change tends to be much less dramatic.

Posted

Yep your right there, and thats the beauty of having the artic air meet the warm caribbean air without any major influence of water, hence the battle grounds, the tornados in summer, the heavy snow and intense cold in winter. North America is pretty amazing for that

Posted

Some extremely potent snow showers have developed just east of the Rockies, having been out driving and got caught up in a whiteout and had to sit it out at the side of the road for 15 minutes between banff and calgary and visibility was zero.

The radar shopwing the snow is here - http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XSM

Now Canmore, my home town, is just east of Banff, and as you can see has received nothing in the way of snow. I think this appears to be a case of showers forming just to the lee of the moutains

Posted

Warnings to be posted about possibly artic outflow for BC by the weekend

Warnings out for Manitoba and parts of SK and AB for heavy snowfall

Posted

Just caught the tail end of the weather forecast and they have warned that parts of Western Canada could see the coldest weather for 'decades' as they put it.

Some places could get as low as minus 45oC, thats not including wind chill.

For any winter this would be impressive but the fact its November amazes me.

More details when I have them.

Posted

I know that not many people post on this link, but I can assure you I look at it on a regular basis and am very grateful for your comments. my brother lives in Toronto and we have a family house out there so am always very interested to hear about the weather there.

Posted

Thank you FW, I appreciate the feedback

Here is a snapshot of Canada as at 6:30pm MST (1:30AM BST)

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html

Here is Sunday's forecast:

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html?Day=3

Here is Monday's forecast:

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html?Day=4

Here is Tuesday forecast:

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html?Day=5

Here is Wednesdays forecast:

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html?Day=6

Basically very cold for the west, praires relatively cool, up and down for the great lakes region, but looking set to become much colder by mid next week. The extreme east remains fairly warm for the time of year

Posted

Current day time temps here in Alberta, Canada minus 19/20oC. This is the warmest it is going to get here for approx 3 days apparantly, and I saw the 'diamond dust' last night which was good to see.

Here's a pic of the outside thermometer.

post-4391-1164473191_thumb.jpg

Posted

too warm. I put the under floor heating on for added warmth, except left it on over night, its roasting now

Posted
too warm. I put the under floor heating on for added warmth, except left it on over night, its roasting now
:D:D:D

how does the infrastructure cope with such low temps? do they struggle, or is it a non-event for them?

Posted

Strong low pressure forming west of Vancouver at this point, moving southeast into Washington state. Southern half of BC and parts of southern Alberta (then SK-MB by Monday-Tuesday) looking at 15-30 cm snowfalls next two days as this system moving slowly and pulling the very cold air right out to the coast by tonight (currently 3 C here). We have a 1060 mb high developing over the Yukon with core temps near -50 C feeding bitter cold air south. As Rich was saying, near-record cold for late November, probably the first time since 1996 that there will be snow on the ground in November around here (and we had a lot of snow in December that winter before a complete reversal to very mild in January).

Posted
:D:D:D

how does the infrastructure cope with such low temps? do they struggle, or is it a non-event for them?

Everything works fine, its all made to cope with temps down to minus 40oC like the trains that run all the time, and cars have block heaters in them so that the engines dont freeze

Main street is just as busy today as normal, albeit with more faces covered than normal

Roger...just spotted this on the forecast, there was little about this until today as the uncertainty was where the low tracked and how much precip there was going to be

I am thinking I could see about 10cm's from tonight into Sunday as it breaks slightly over the rockies but then reforms nicely around eastern Alberta and into SK/MB

I bet its a shock to the sytem for you guys in BC after the warm and wet weather of the past few weeks

Posted

Since I posted, we have had 2 cm of thick wet snow here. I live about 120 metres above sea level 15 km southeast of the city centre, so it's probably still raining at sea level. Feels cold in the breeze but after so many winters in Ontario, there ain't much about a BC winter that can make me dig out a real winter coat. Your side of the Rockies, different story. Once upon a time, we drove from my wife's parents home in BC back to Ontario in the first week of January. It was -42 in Regina one morning, sometimes even a block heater isn't enough when it's that cold. Then there was a blizzard followed by a freezing rain storm on the rest of the trip home. On the bright side, we had the highway pretty much to ourselves.

Rich, have you encountered these strange electromagnetic effects around the chinook zone yet? We found driving into Calgary in the winter that a lot of electronics in the car stopped working due to the sferics or whatever.

As you say, the infrastructure is generally built to handle the severe cold, except when it gets beyond its usual range and into southern BC. Then there are many problems with bursting water pipes freezing up -- even from -15 or -20 C nights some homes in the southern interior can have this problem so people let their water run all night. The severe winter of 1950 reportedly killed off thousands of fruit trees in parts of BC -- it was down to -40 in the Okanagan and -50 near Prince George that winter, values not seen since.

Posted

Since I posted, we have had 2 cm of thick wet snow here. I live about 120 metres above sea level 15 km southeast of the city centre, so it's probably still raining at sea level. Feels cold in the breeze but after so many winters in Ontario, there ain't much about a BC winter that can make me dig out a real winter coat. Your side of the Rockies, different story.

I also have experience about 2cm's so far this evening, mainly the very grainy dry snow, hopefully more to come, but current temps around -25oC, with a wind chill in the -30oC's.

I havent yet myself experienced the strange phenomenon around the chinook zone, however I have heard one story about this though from a local, which I found quite fascinating

More snow to come for BC and particularly around Vancouver I feel in the next 24 hours. Extremely potent cold air around for the time of year

Posted

As the west slowly becomes a little warmer, temps here yesterday morning were minus 39oC with the wind chill, it will be the turn of the east this weekend, with what look like a potent storm hitting the great lakes region by Friday/Saturday

More details to come

Posted

from post 70

'current temps around -25oC'

quite mind boggling, I have only experienced temps of that order twice, and cannot say I would wish to repeat the experience, even though I like frost and snow, but in limited times and quantities please!

Posted

It certainly is hard to cope with

As a sign that this cold is severe, even for Alberta, schools have been shut the past few days and sadly 4 people have died as a direct result of the cold

Day time highs have been close to minus 30oC with windchills in the minus 40oC's here so its not suprising really that there have been some fatalaties

On Monday, the Yukon was the coldest place on Earth with air temps at minus 46.5oC!!

Posted
As the west slowly becomes a little warmer, temps here yesterday morning were minus 39oC with the wind chill, it will be the turn of the east this weekend, with what look like a potent storm hitting the great lakes region by Friday/Saturday

More details to come

Indeed there is. I'm about to update in the American Weather Thread.