Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

September 1992: Thunderstorms, flooding

Weather-history

Posted

With possible developments for later today, here's what happened in September 1992

A low pressure moving into the SW approaches brought severe thunderstorms to some parts of England and Wales on the 18th. A hailstorm killed many sea birds just off Foulness Island in Essex and there was flooding in parts. On the 21st, another low pressure brought further heavy thundery rain to eastern parts with rainfall totals of 50mm+ in some areas and not surprisingly there was flooding in parts.

Here's some 24 hour rainfall totals that was recorded during that period.

Durham: 45.8mm

Heathrow: 45.8mm

Cambridge: 38.2mm

Tynemouth: 28.5mm

Cardiff: 22.2mm

Rrea00119920918.gif

Rrea00119920922.gif

Posted

Didnt we get the type of scenerio again in october?

Cause i swear ive got footage of the storm hitting my area (30mins worth) on an old vhs tape somewhere (Huge Vid camera it was) followed by the news bullitins of flooding in lewisham and weather update of the storms tracking north.

Got to look for it tho and blow the dust off... if ive still got it :)

Posted

It really is great looking back at these archive charts to find out what happened,as they`ve only been available a few years.

But looking at that you would of thought a perfect set-up for thundery heavy rain but the only exciting thing I`ve got for that day is HUMID :unsure: and for the whole of that month no thunder.

The 18th was a friday.

S9

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

I remember the early hours of 18th - torrential rain, forked lightning and deafening thunder for about 2 hours, from about 1 to 3 am.

Now, which evening forecaster (on 17th) said that there would just be 'patchy rain for tonight', and no mention of thunder??? :o

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Funnily enough I rather more remember September 1993 for thunder, as the night of my 18th birthday earlier that month I recall the sky being lit up alot by lightning while I was enjoying my first legal drink down a pub in Kent, with alot of flooding on the roads on the way home.

Posted

Just scanning some unread threads, I think I remember that September occurence :unsure: .

It may have been a year/2 earlier though :lol: . Was certainly September as I recall it

being early in the school year.

There was a small LOW over the West Country that brought some places near

here up to 4 inches of rain in 5/6 hours :blink: . I remember Upton Scudamore (small

village 1 mile SSW of me) being mentioned on the tv weather as having that much

rain recorded by an amateur recorder!

From sktchy memories of tv radars that evening there was one thundery area that

rotated around this region from about 8am-3pm, it was followed by dense fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns
Just scanning some unread threads, I think I remember that September occurence :D .

It may have been a year/2 earlier though :p . Was certainly September as I recall it

being early in the school year.

There was a small LOW over the West Country that brought some places near

here up to 4 inches of rain in 5/6 hours :clap: . I remember Upton Scudamore (small

village 1 mile SSW of me) being mentioned on the tv weather as having that much

rain recorded by an amateur recorder!

From sktchy memories of tv radars that evening there was one thundery area that

rotated around this region from about 8am-3pm, it was followed by dense fog.

After our overnight storms, the daytime of Friday 18th was very misty or foggy here...much like a November day.

As for 1993, Nick, I don't recall any storms here...but remember that September as being mostly unsettled, and not too warm either.

October 8th 1993, is in my diary though, for recording a very loud afternoon thunderstorm with torrential rain, followed by a silent 'light show' to the north, at dusk. Again - no mention of it on the evening forecast; the summary of that Friday afternoon was merely ' showery'. :D

Posted

I remember one day in September 1992 when it literally bucketed down all afternoon, don't remember any thunder but I think it produced something like 40-odd mm of rain. My memory tells me it was a Wednesday but it could have been a Monday or Friday. SO the 18th is a possibility.

That month I remember for an awful lot of "sunshine and showers" days, plus that very wet afternoon and a surprising late hot day on the last Monday (28th) when it must have peaked at close to 25C- that day might well have been hotter than any in August come to think of it.

The worst September hereabouts in recent times was probably 1994: very dull, cool and with some heavy rain including a deluge midmonth that lasted 24 hours or so- looking at Trevor Harley's site the 14-15th seems the likely date. 1993 and 1995 were not much better; in fact I don't remember much at all in the way of hot dry sunny September weather from my earliest memories (early 80s) until 1998-1999.