Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

sloe gin

Stoxs

Posted

Now, who freezes them before pricking and bottling and who just pricks them and bottles?

If you freeze, you don't need to prick. As they thaw, the skins burst.

Simples.......

Guest Quantumsnow

I've been making Sloe gin for a few years now and have never pricked them yet, nor done the freezer thing.. do those of you that do this think it makes much of a difference?

Tasted a few of this years lot last weekend and can't believe how sweet they are, time to get picking!

Don't know if anyone else does this but.. after i've finished with the fruit, I keep some aside, chop it into smaller pieces and lay it on a baking tray, then pour melted dark chocolate over it (usually the Lindt 75% cocoa solids stuff) and leave it to set.. cut into chunks, et voila! Sloe chocolate, sickly but delicious.

Posted

OK, brown fingers and 4 litres made yesterday afternoon. Don't seem to have made much of a dent in the harvest yet so I've put the rest in the freezer to try the alternative method next weekend.

All that work made me thirsty, so I dug out the final bottle of last years vintage and reminded myself how level this liqueur really is. I hope there is enough left for Christmas to do some back to back tasting with this years output!

sloe-gin-recipe.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Advice please..... what would you all suggest as the best proportion of fruit/sugar to booze?

Posted

Don't know if anyone else does this but.. after i've finished with the fruit, I keep some aside, chop it into smaller pieces and lay it on a baking tray, then pour melted dark chocolate over it (usually the Lindt 75% cocoa solids stuff) and leave it to set.. cut into chunks, et voila! Sloe chocolate, sickly but delicious.

I stuffed a pheasant with my left overs last year - superrrrbbbbbb !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Chopped mine up and added them to a fruit cake, yummity yum.

Guest Quantumsnow

I stuffed a pheasant with my left overs last year - superrrrbbbbbb !!!

This sounds marvelous!

Also think it would go well with pigeon. mmmmm :whistling:

Edited by Quantumsnow