Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Australia severe weather 2006/7 season

Posted

We had nice light rain this morning, top 1.1mm.

Today looking awesome due to stronger jetstream and higher moisture. Might getting some wild storms before the gusty change like wednesday! Today is highly likely to see severe storms due tight gradient of isobars squeeze. Atm is 25C/23C and humidity is 83% under cloud cover. So warm and humid.

Posted

yeah getting very humid now and the sun has just poked out of the clouds but wil dissapear again soon. Light to moderate winds now coming from NE but we will get a southerly change later in the day with stronger gusts

Posted

This is very interesting reading and some nice pics!

The funny thing is though your storms seem quiet dry with very low rainfall amounts, is this typical?

Often when we have thunderstorms in the UK you hear about places getting 25mm to 50mm everytime we have an outbreak, most years you hear about some place getting 100mm+ from a storm although for one particular place to get that much from just one storm is rare, but it happens.

I'd usually expect an average of 10mm to 25mm from a summer storm.

Most of your storms seem to have quiet low rainfall amounts though often less than 10mm. Just wondering if your storms are perhaps more spectacular in terms of lightning etc but not as high in precipitation? I imagine it varies locally a lot eg North-East Queensland has a very high summer rainfall.

Posted

its because they never get us they always move away or die down before they get us. Alot of the storms that show up on the radar look small. When we get storms they dont last for that long (thats when we actually get a storm)

They form over the ranges to our west and when they get closer to the coast they die down easily. Alot of the storms to carry heavy rain but they never hit where the rain guages are. Our storms are not as good as yours. They do have good lightning Sometimes there is an occasional severe storm but they dont hit any major places.

Anyway there are some cells to the west of us now heading this way but i dont think we will get them. Maybe just some rain and a lightning show like most of the time

Posted

No storms for weeks:( Well temps staying way below average everyday, esp night way under 15C and days under 30C. Suppose to be 18C tonight and 32C today/tomorrow, this is weird. Winds staying E to SE. Not changing it.

Posted

Warm to very warm and humid/muggy cloudy day today with few showers. Been around 27C with humidity over 70%. Been like as Cairns weather here.

Tomorrow looking so very warm and humid with showers. Gotta love the smell! THunderstorms back on tuesday!

Posted

Been very warm and humid day today with fresh NE seabreezes. Top of 28C.

Forecast for Tuesday

Scattered afternoon showers/thunderstorms. Warm day. Light north to northwest winds, turning moderate to fresh south to southeasterly during the afternoon.

Top of 31C tomorrow, nice storms ahead for us! Looking so great down south lately! Hopefully get decent typical December-Summer storms!

Posted

dew point is certainly rising here now its 17.5 and brfore it was only 15.3

Here are the forcasts for today and the next 4 days

Tuesday

Late thunder

15°C - 31°C

Precip: 80%, 5-10mm

Frost Risk: Nil

9am 3pm

Wind: E 1kt SSE 9kt

RH: 53% 74%

Wednesday

Possible shower

15°C - 27°C

Precip: 50%, 1-5mm

9am 3pm

Wind: S 12kt SE 10kt

RH: 75% 65%

Thursday

Mostly sunny

15°C - 32°C

Precip: 10%, < 1mm

9am 3pm

Wind: NE 1kt NNE 12kt

RH: 53% 56%

Friday

Possible thunderstorm

17°C - 35°C

Precip: 70%, 5-10mm

9am 3pm

Wind: NNW 10kt N 9kt

RH: 51% 69%

Saturday

Thunderstorms

18°C - 28°C

Precip: 70%, 5-10mm

9am 3pm

Wind: NW 3kt N 1kt

RH: 66%

hehe looking good for the next few days

Just thought I'd point out that Melbourne got to 42.1deg on the weekend, Hottest day this year and it's only a dozen days into summer!

Jan & Feb is traditionally when it hots up, 40+ this early is unusual. The temps haven't helped the bushfires but so far not much damage (lives or homes) has occured just ONLY 280,000 Hectares has been burnt. Not sure what units of land measure the uk use, but if its acres then it's just under 700,000 acres.

NSW & Tassie have also had fires, sadly more than 20 homes were burnt out in Tassie.

Edit- I know this isn't fully relevant to the thread but seemed more appropriate than opening up a new thread.

Edited by Aussie Big Ben

Posted

wow here are the forcasts for the next 4 days for the northern rivers:

Forecast for Wednesday evening

A few showers, Light to moderate east to northeast winds.

Forecast for Thursday

Isolated afternoon showers and thunderstorms. Warm day. Light to moderate northwest to northeast winds, fresh near the coast in the afternoon.

Lismore: Chance afternoon shower/thunderstorm. Min: 17 Max: 31

Cape Byron: Chance afternoon shower/thunderstorm. Min: 20 Max: 27

Grafton: Chance afternoon shower/thunderstorm. Min: 18 Max: 32

Forecast for Friday

Scattered showers and isolated afternoon thunderstorms. Warm to hot day. Light to moderate north to northwesterly winds ahead of a south to southeast change.

Lismore: Shower, chance afternoon thunderstorm. Min: 17 Max: 33

Forecast for Saturday

Scattered showers and chance of an afternoon thunderstorm. Warm day. Northwest winds ahead of a southeast change.

Lismore: Shower, chance afternoon thunderstorm. Min: 17 Max: 28

Forecast for Sunday

Isolated showers. Warm day. Southeast winds, fresh near the coast.

Lismore: Chance shower. Min: 16 Max: 25

looking interesting :)

Posted

Awesome structures and display! Beautiful mammatus cloud and awesome gust front that lurked in our west and died. 2.1mm recorded on my weather station in Ballina and here in Lismore got pretty much at 5mm! Tomorrow looking good for severe thunderstorms, need more rain!

Posted

Here my storm reports from 14th to 15th December 2006.

http://www.freewebs.com/mattweather/thursday14thdec2006.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/mattweather/friday15thdec2006.htm

Plus video for 15th December: http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/mat...06lightning.flv

Here my best pictures on 14th Dec:

Thursday14thDec2006f.jpg

Thursday14thDec2006d.jpg

My favourite cloud display on 15th Dec!

Friday15thDec2006c.jpg

Weather has been little below average including temperatures as 2 to 4C below December's min and max averages. Nice warmer typical summer day here today at 28C, few storm cells on radar atm. Tomorrow looking promising for summer storms welcome back with max of 28C for again and NE seabreezes! Good wet weather ahead on this Sunday as forecasts saying rain periods with scattered thunderstorms developing after hot and humid day! Plus, hot and stormy Xmas and Boxing day!

Enjoy!

Posted

Looks like southern Australia could be experiencing some snow for Christmas day. Tasmania looks to have snow across the highlands and maybe even the state of Victoria further to the north could see snow across the ski fields. Leading up to Christmas this week we have a slow moving trough that should bring some welcome rain to Victoria, NSW and QLD as it interacts with available moisture. Then a surface low should form off the south east coast of Australia by about Sunday and will generate chilly winds and colder air into Christmas day as it interacts with a ridging high pressure system behind it. Not bad for the middle of summer over here to be getting a cold front that will bring some snow! :lol:

Below are some free Australian forecasting links from my site to help those that are interested in our weather. The third link, the Weatherzone one, is probably the best to get a quick glance at the GFS charts and also locally produced charts for our area.

My forecasting links:

http://www.blackheathweather.com/forecast.html

The BoM link to their free forecasting material in Oz:

http://www.bom.gov.au/nmoc/NWP.shtml

Weatherzone free material - good daily charts (more if you register):

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/

Merry Christmas to all!

Blizz

Storm Spotter and webmaster of blackheathweather.com

PS: Supercell Hunters is an enthusiastic young man that is new to the dynamics of Australian weather. He used to be on Weatherzone forums in Australia where I am a moderator. If I can respectfully say, SH is still learning how to report storms and other weather events accurately.

Edited by Blizz

Posted
Looks like southern Australia could be experiencing some snow for Christmas day. Tasmania looks to have snow across the highlands and maybe even the state of Victoria further to the north could see snow across the ski fields. Not bad for the middle of summer over here to be getting a cold front that will bring some snow!

Hahahahaha, a white Christmas in parts of Australia :lol: ! That really takes the mickey. I noted on a Melbourne forecast that temps will drop significantly over the weekend, wonder if that will continue into the Boxing Day test match? Or will it hot up just as quickly as it cooled?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
White hailstorm slammed Armidale in NSW. http://www.weatherzone.com.au/cgi-bin/ulti...10;t=002146;p=7

Does this prefer white xmas in Australia for first time?

Wow, I think that does count , more whiteness than we've had here this winter and it's mid summer where you are the set of photo's in the thread say it all!!!