Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Keeping Records

chilly milly

Posted

It never ceases to amaze me how people can remember what happened in 1996 in September or whatever. I can barely remember what happened last year.

So I wondered if you guys kept some kind or records/logs of what the weather is. What do you consider the most important facts to record and how do you record it.

If find the history of weather fascinating and would like to keep some kind of record myself but don't really know where to start. For now I'm just making notes in my diary.

Also I suspect many of you have weather stations. Do these do the job for you? Keeping all the records of information its recorded on a computer.

I don't have a weather station, but any hints or advice would be most welcome.

Thank you.

:)

Posted

I kept my own records since 1990 but I just note them down...it is great to look back at them as you forget, half the time there`re written and I can`t remember the dates or there`re mixed up,it`s the biggest events you remember more of course.

I record the temperatures/rainfall/ if theres strong winds/gales etc/thunder/and of course snow/hail even sleet.

And anything else unusual (astronomical)

:)

Like before that date if only I started recording since 1981, but you don`t think about those things then with going to school if only :)

S9.

Posted

Thanks Snowy thats generally what I was going to do. I'm looking forward to having more definitive notes rather than just vague memories.

I can recall the major snow of 1981 as I remember coming home from school after my mock o'levels so I can pinpoint that. And other snow events according to birthdays, but otherwise its all very hit and miss. Can't wait to get it all down in writing. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have taken weather records of some description since 1993, though the record has had many instrumentation changes (I used very primitive equipment between 1993 and 1997 in particular) and is not continuous. It wasn't until 2005 that I acquired a professional weather station.

I have a strange tendency to remember weather events, dates and birthdays- I will often remember what I did on a particular day from the weather that happened on it!

I tabulated my records into Excel recently, correcting for instrumental errors and also taking into account the readings from nearby sites (Durham, Newcastle Weather Centre, and more recently South Shields and Newton Aycliffe). This gives a continuous record which should be representative, though I can't vouch for the accuracy of individual values.

I have always recorded max/min temperatures, precipitation, daily weather, pressure, and occurrences of thunder, hail, sleet/snow and gales.

Prior to 1993 I don't have many specific weather memories- I gather data on the weather that happened before that from scrutiny of synoptic chart archives, MetO stats for various places they have on their website, Trevor Harley's site and Kevin/Mr Data's data archives, and remember the important events. I do, however, vaguely recall a summer with remarkably abundant sunshine (probably 1989) and a snowy spell in early 1991 (probably the February easterly).

Posted

Thanks TWS, its a good idea to use Excel, I may adopt that method myself. And of course I'll need to record the min temp as well as max. Why did that never cross my mind?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

We record Weather data and have been doing since 1955 (Before my time). I used to remember things fairly well but I guess I'm now getting older.

Posted
This is probably a stupid question but here goes. I'm just coming up to my first year of recording daily high and low temps. How do you work out the mean daily temperature? Maths was never my strong subject!

Nor mine and it's not a stupid question at all!! Add your maximum temp, to your minimum temp and divide by 2.

If you want the monthly temp, add all your daily mean temps and divide by the number of days in the month. If you want the annual temp, add all your monthly temps and divide by 12.

Do let us know aht your averages are, and do the same, especially, for the period Jan to Dec inclusive.

Cheers, Paul

Posted

I've been keeping weather records since 1983 mainly from October to March, all written stuff in books with Hi/Min temps, Atmos pressure, Wind speed/Direction, rainfall and days weather discription and since the late 80's clippings of synoptic charts. Since 1997 I have had an Instru-met weather station and plan in the next month or so to get a more accurate station (probably a Davis Pro2) with more info, really great info collated over the years with valuable information on how the the south east IS warming up since the late 80's. Some photographic stuff over the years also backs this info up.

Posted

It may be boring at times in weather you are not interested in but the key to really helpful weather observations is that they are done every day, preferably at the same time each day, along with any notes that may help explain what has happened. This is why such researchers as Gordon Manley were able to give us such a superb basis for temperature records. He must have combed through thousands of manuscripts to find the data he wanted.

In short do them every day, at the same time with other notes.

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
If you want the monthly temp, add all your daily mean temps and divide by the number of days in the month. If you want the annual temp, add all your monthly temps and divide by 12.

Actually you add up all your daily maxes, divide by the number of days to get an average max.

You add up all your daily mins, divide by the number of days to get an average min.

Add the average max and average min and divide by two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
It may be boring at times in weather you are not interested in but the key to really helpful weather observations is that they are done every day, preferably at the same time each day, along with any notes that may help explain what has happened. This is why such researchers as Gordon Manley were able to give us such a superb basis for temperature records. He must have combed through thousands of manuscripts to find the data he wanted.

In short do them every day, at the same time with other notes.

John

Agree entirely, John.

I've got a daily record back to Sept' 1963, with no omissions, at three different sites all within about 9 miles of each other and two within a few hundred yards.

There are long periods where the record keeping is routine and nothing much is happening but, rather like a mosaic, it's the tiny pieces fitting together which make a 'whole' which is something worthwhile.

It may not be possible to stick to all the rigorous demands of met' office procedure as most of us have to work and a morning observation hour of 0900 g.m.t isn't the most work friendly time but, with reasonably accurate equipment, attention to detail and accuracy when observing and the dedication and discipline ( love, even) to stick with it no matter what, a very useful record can be built up.

It's very satisfying, if something extreme occurs, to be able to put the event into an historical context, particularly if it's from your own records.

T.M

Posted

well put TM, that is some record of stats you have there.

John