Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vikings Volcanic Activity Thread

Guest Viking141

Posted

Aren't you contradicting yourself there fozi999?

Is the lava dome still there on Redoubt? I haven't had much chance to follow recently and the views from the webcams aren't giving much away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Aren't you contradicting yourself there fozi999?

Is the lava dome still there on Redoubt? I haven't had much chance to follow recently and the views from the webcams aren't giving much away.

In what way? Sources?

Webicorders and the Chaiten webcam have both been widely linked on this thread but I can post them again if you like.

Webicorder

Chaiten Webcam

Edited by fozi999

Guest Shetland Coastie

I find it a little patronising that you feel the need to post the above which let's be honest is basic volcanism and general facts you could pick up with a quick Google search. I don't post a lot but I think it's clear from when I do post that I have a bit more knowledge than that or that I at least have the capability to do my own research. It sort of strikes me that you feel you have to have the final word in this thread, as if you are some overall authority on volcanoes, when in reality you are not.

Otherwise I think you make an excellent contribution; although I do think you should link to your sources more.

Not at all. What I try to bear in mind is that not everybody who reads this thread knows as much about volcanism as you do. When I reply to a post it isn't just for the consumption of the postee, i.e. someone like yourself who clearly does have a fair bit of knowledge. It also has to take account of those who don't have so much knowledge but who are interested nonetheless. I don't just do this thread for those who are 'in the know' its for everybody who cares to read it. This isn't a private conversation between you and me fozi, its for everyones consumption. Don't assume that everyone who reads this knows as much as you do.

Incidentally I have never stated on here on anywhere else that I was an 'expert', in fact I think you'll find I have on several qoccasions gone out of my way to make it clear I am an 'enthusiastic amateur'. Also, I think you'll find that I started this thread, albeit under my old 'handle' (Viking 141) and I have put in the majority of the work and made the vast majority of the posts, despite having a full time job (involving shiftwork) and a life.

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - REDOUBT

Very little happening as previously stated. Indeed, since 22nd July, all of AVO's status reports have begun with the phrase "No significant changes have been observed at Redoubt volcano..."

AVO status reports

As for the webcams, the one co-located with seismic station DFR is no longer functioning due to equipment failure, one, the Cook Inlet cam is pretty much next to useless as it is located several miles away on an oil platform across Cook Inlet and the view is frequently obscured by low cloud and fog and main webcam at the Redoubt Hut is currently (and frequently) obscured by bad weather.

Redoubt Hut webcam

Posted

As someone interested in Volcanoes but without a proper knowledge I would applaud Shetland Coasties input and suggest he not be put off at all by posts like Fozzies.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Anyone got any latest info on the size of Chiatens lava dome ??? Must be huge by now.

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - CHAITEN - CHILE

According to the most recently available report from SERNAGEOMIN (No.100 dated 8 July 2009) the eruption of Chaiten continues pretty much as it has done for numerous months now (as I pointed out in a post above). The full document con be found here:

Chaiten report text

Unfortunately, of course, its in Spanish. However, the Volcanism Blog has had it translated Volcanism Blog so I'll quote a couple of bits and pieces:

"The images observed through the DGAC camera, located in Chaitén to the south of the volcano, have only been rarely and very occasionally available because of the rain. However, they clearly show that the eruption has continued in an unchanging form"

and:

"3. Conclusions and interpretation

The eruptive activity continues with the growth of the dome complex, only observable on some occasions because of the bad weather, continues, as does the latent danger of collapse because of the growth of the domes, with possible explosions and generation of block-and-ash flows, which may affect the valleys adjacent to Chaitén volcano. The seismicity in this period has remained constant when compared with the preceding week, both in numbers of earthquakes and their magnitude. Moreover, the quantity of pyroclastic material from fallen volcanic rock originating from both block-and-ash flows and lateral explosions has formed important accumulations in the adjacent valleys and especially towards the valley of the Chaitén river, from which the fresh occurrence of lahars towards Chaitén during torrential rains cannot be ruled out. In consequence, given that the seismic activity remains elevated as a result of the growth of the dome complex, with the possibility of the generation of block-and-ash flows which may affect the surrounding valleys including the new generation of new lahars, SERNAGEOMIN maintains Volcanic Red Alert."

So pretty much as I posted earlier. In essence, not a lot has changed at Chaiten, hence the dearth of reports. As I said before, I have a life and simply don't have time to report every little nuance and indeed what would be the point. I try to keep it to either new information or dramatic or sudden changes in activity.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Anyone got any latest info on the size of Chiatens lava dome ??? Must be huge by now.

Good question! Actually its not one massive lava dome but actually two, Domo Nuevo 1 and Domo Nuevo 2, both of which are growing but also suffering frequent, partial collapses. I've scanned through a lot of information on the web to see if theres any recent estimate of its size and can't find anything (although obviously theres a lot of stuff around in Spanish which I simply don't have time to translate.)

Update: Have found a brief snippet dated 7th January this year which stated that the twin lava domes have completely filled the 3km wide summit caldera!

Posted

Well i for one appreciates what SC contributes to this thread and people who are knowledgeable on this subject, Should contribute not criticise. No names no pack drill.

Edited by BARRY

Guest Shetland Coastie

As from next Friday I'll be off to the Coastguard Training Centre near Southampton for a weeks course, at the end of which I have to sit yet more exams! Meantime, as you can appreciate I have been extremely busy the past week and will be this week as well, revising for said exams which comprise 2 written papers:

1 on radio regulations & 1 on SOLAS (International Convention on the Safety of Life At Sea and in particular GMDSS - Global Maritime Distress And Safety System) and

A practical examination in which I must demonstrate my ability to properly receipt a Mayday distress message and compile and broadcast a Mayday Relay, as well as showing I know how to operate all the communications equipment at our disposal (VHF Radio, MF Radio, Navtex, Vision, ICCS, Satcoms etc).

So Im sure you will appreciate that Ive not had a lot of time to post recently and wont be posting for about 10 days after next Friday. I'll be back on the 20th August so see you all then :)

Posted

Anybody read spanish if they did we may find out what Chaiten is doing before waiting for translations.

The latest update I can find is here http://www.intlvrc.org/news.htm#chaiten

At least when St helens was dome building you could get find regular updates. Chaiten dwarfs that.

Posted

Not at all. What I try to bear in mind is that not everybody who reads this thread knows as much about volcanism as you do. When I reply to a post it isn't just for the consumption of the postee, i.e. someone like yourself who clearly does have a fair bit of knowledge. It also has to take account of those who don't have so much knowledge but who are interested nonetheless. I don't just do this thread for those who are 'in the know' its for everybody who cares to read it. This isn't a private conversation between you and me fozi, its for everyones consumption. Don't assume that everyone who reads this knows as much as you do.

Incidentally I have never stated on here on anywhere else that I was an 'expert', in fact I think you'll find I have on several qoccasions gone out of my way to make it clear I am an 'enthusiastic amateur'. Also, I think you'll find that I started this thread, albeit under my old 'handle' (Viking 141) and I have put in the majority of the work and made the vast majority of the posts, despite having a full time job (involving shiftwork) and a life.

I appreciate your response but I stand by my post. The fact you quoted me suggests to me that you were responding directly to my post, regardless of whether others read it.

I never suggested you were an expert, in fact I purposely avoided it. And I have found that you started this thread, and I have found that you feel the need to make the vast majority of the posts. In fact that was exactly my point: you seem to think you are some overall authority on volcanoes and have to have the final word.

And to the people encouraging Shetland to keep posting and not be put off: get real. I'm simply defending myself where I see fit and explaining what I didn't like. If that's going to put someone off posting they've got far bigger problems than me.

Edited by fozi999

Posted

Anybody read spanish if they did we may find out what Chaiten is doing before waiting for translations.

At least when St helens was dome building you could get find regular updates. Chaiten dwarfs that.

I think the main problem is the bulletins basically contain no new information. They're just regurgitating the same old stuff from the previous ones. There seems to be a total lack of interest from the authorities which is probably due to a lack of interest and resources now that the volcano doesn't appear to be threatening anyone outside of the immediate vicinity. And while I can't necessarily blame the Chileans I think it is a disaster. The eruption is unique because of it's size, power and longevity and is beyond anything we have been able to seriously observe and it's going unwatched.

Not to mention the possibility that we are only seeing phase one and phase two could be much more devastating.

With regards to the dome I haven't seen any information on it for months but it must be huge. Lava extrusion rates have been high and I think it can be assumed from the increase in energy output in April and the vigorous plume that we regularly see that the extrusion rate has increased. In the photos I previously posted from January it had nearly reached the rim of the caldera in places so I would expect that it's now regularly being breached.

Edited by fozi999

Guest Shetland Coastie

Indeed PIT, it is a criticism that has been leveled at SERNAGEOMIN by a few folk now, heres what the Volcanism Blog had to say on the matter:

"There is often a rather perfunctory air to these Chaitén bulletins from SERNAGEOMIN: an ‘informe’ as lacking in detail and information as that reproduced above really is not worthy of the name. Even after making every allowance for the pressures upon SERNAGEOMIN and its limited resources, one cannot help concluding that communicating with the public is just not something it particularly cares about. This attitude will have to change if the planned Chilean National Volcano Monitoring Network, in which SERNAGEOMIN will play a central role, is to do its job effectively"

Well, quite.

Posted

Pity as this is the first Eruption of rhyolitic lava since 1912 which gave rise the valley of ten thousands smokes.

You would have thought the scientific world would have been clambering all over it from a safe distance of course.

Does one get a feeling that this may go really bang with a eurption bigger than Vei 5 which it's already reached??

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Does one get a feeling that this may go really bang with a eurption bigger than Vei 5 which it's already reached??

Yes I do, but no idea of timescales, there seems to be a huge amount of magma underneath.

Could be days, weeks, months, years... or it could just stop, but considering the huge caldera (now filled) it doesn't look like that happened last time.