Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Leonids:2006 Possible outburst?

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
What time will they be visible from???

The peak is as Stella says but take a look anytime. They won't be as frequent but I've seen quite a few this week and a couple already this evening.

Edit: As I've posted earlier in this thread, I've already seen a nice fireball meteor earlier in the week but I suspect there will be a few more headlines like this one.....

http://www.expressandstar.co.uk/2006/11/17...-for-ufo-group/. B) ;)

Edited by kar999

Posted

Typically it is going to be cloudy down here tonight, but there is a slight chance that skies may clear by 4am which would be excellent. whether I can stay up that late or get up early enough after a few beers tonight remains to be seen.

Please could someone refresh my mind and suggest which direction and elevation we should be looking in.

Thanks

Posted

Leo will be high in the southeast sky, just before sunrise affording the very best Leonid views........

http://www.eaas.co.uk/news/leonids.html

Posted
Leo will be high in the southeast sky, just before sunrise affording the very best Leonid views........

http://www.eaas.co.uk/news/leonids.html

Thanks Karl,

That's handy as it is the direction that my webcam points. I'll set it to record now and if the skies clear I may record something interesting. B)

Posted

Sadly it looks like being cloudy down here all night, anyone know if they will still be around tomorrow night?

Still last night I had a dream I was watching them. What a dream! Best meteorite show I ever saw B) Streaks everywhere in every direction. Ah if only!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Some good clear holes in the sky but not seen any activity yet. I'll re-asses about midnight and if it looks worth it I'll see if I can head a bit North and out run the cloud. We seem to be right on the borderline according to the cloud maps. Thanks ICBINB B)

Posted
I must be one of the luckier people because I've just yet again seen a beautiful bright meteorite/fireball B) ......very cool ;)

SHU

Sounds promising :)

Edit: what colour was it?

Edited by frogesque

Posted

The sky is a s clear as a bell here right now... I hope it lasts as I'm going to set the alarm for well before first sparrows fart in the morning!

Edited by kar999

Posted

I can see them already, just a pulsing area of light at the moment high towards the SE sky. I even got the fiancé up to see them and she was amazed, a beautifully clear sky at the moment. I'll pay for it in the morning, but we shared our first shooting star,,, Stop looking in the sick bucket and look to the skies! :rolleyes:

Posted

Fantastic clear skies here in Barnsley. Got up at 4.15 stayed out for nearly an hour, got a cold bum, sore neck and only 5 sightings, 2 of which were within 30 secs of each other - was this the peak, or did I happen to blink each time there was one!!

:rolleyes:

Posted

That's space for you! Not only did the weather not co-operate it was a pretty poor show. I think I saw more sporadics than Leonids :doh: Then come about 3.00am it clouded over so I came home. Driving was also treacherous on the country roads - black ice everywhere :rolleyes:

I also listened to the 'pings' from 4.30 'till 5.00 and it didn't sound as if I missed much, average sort of day.

Posted

Looks like last nights was just slightly (way :rolleyes: ) overhyped, pretty gutted about it saw 8 meteorites/fireballs between 12 and 2.Then got some sleep till 3:45 got up for 20mins didnt see a thing and went back to sleep B) :doh:

SHU

Posted
I also listened to the 'pings' from 4.30 'till 5.00 and it didn't sound as if I missed much, average sort of day.

Potentially dim question alert ; what do you mean by 'the pings' please? :blink:

Posted
Potentially dim question alert ; what do you mean by 'the pings' please? :blink:

Radio signals reflected off of meteor trails. http://www.roswellastronomyclub.com/radio_meteors.htm

Posted

I got out of my pit at 4:20 and watched the sky for about half hour till it clouded over. Only saw 4 quite weak ones, so a pretty poor show in the end.

Posted
I got out of my pit at 4:20 and watched the sky for about half hour till it clouded over. Only saw 4 quite weak ones, so a pretty poor show in the end.

same here really, it was a cloudless sky and had seen a couple before the peak time, so with high expectations I went out about 4 and drove to a place in the middle of nowhere, as soon as I parked it clouded over :blink: