Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Grass In November

Posted

Well its almost November, and today I can see that I am going to have to cut the

grass again this week.

As I have other things to be getting on with, this is a major inconvenience to m, as

I have quite a large area of grass to attend to.

Is it just me or are the grass cutting seasons getting longer? 8)

Posted
Well its almost November, and today I can see that I am going to have to cut the

grass again this week.

As I have other things to be getting on with, this is a major inconvenience to m, as

Yup, just done it. Pretty wet, but the job had to be done. ;) In answer to your last question, yes, the growing season is definitely longer than it was 20 years ago. The phenology site is well worth a look, for things like that. Get into it, record and see national results. It's fun.

http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/findings/autumn/

Paul

Posted

grass again this week.

The season is certainly getting longer. However, last year, as we had a lot more frosts and cooler days, it did actually slow up more than it had done for some time. Still growing well at the moment!

Moose

Posted

tell me about it!

cut mine more in the last 8 weeks than i did in the whole of april/may/june/july

mines 55ftx50ft at the front and is becoming a bit of a chore

and me roses jeez there still going for it as you can see

bryan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

as someone who makes a living from cutting grass, yes this season is certainly longer :) good!

Posted

I wouldn't say the season is any longer than the early 90's-i used to cut a massive lawn on a ride on back then and the last cut was always mid November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

It definately seems longer this year, the bigger problem is the ground is so wet now that it is a very muddy job but it really does need cutting again hopefully this high will let the ground dry a bit so i can cut it. Concrete sounds a good idea on the face of it but then i might as well live in the city :D if i went down that route!

Posted
It definately seems longer this year, the bigger problem is the ground is so wet now that it is a very muddy job but it really does need cutting again hopefully this high will let the ground dry a bit so i can cut it. Concrete sounds a good idea on the face of it but then i might as well live in the city :D if i went down that route!

I know what you mean - so much rain and the grass is uncuttable really without hacking it up! Definitely seems to be growing longer for the time of year

Posted

I scattered grass seed over what we laughing call the lawn at the end of September... I wasn't expecting much, but we now have a lot of green grass growing and our garden no longer looks like a football pitch. It won't get mowed until next spring though... because the longer bits can be teased over the few remaining bald patches... a bit like a baldie combover for lawns.

Posted

The grass growth on our lawns at present is rapid! infact our front lawn is looking better now than any other time since about May, I also put Verdone weed killer down twice a year, once at March and then in September but since the September spraying it has been so warm that the Plantin, Dandelions etc have grown back!! Soon to be an all year round task looking after the lawn.

Also the greens on our local golf course are still exceptionally good with no signs of the typical 'worm piles' of mid-late autumn on the fairways!

Posted
I wouldn't say the season is any longer than the early 90's-i used to cut a massive lawn on a ride on back then and the last cut was always mid November.

but that depends upon the frequency of cut. you might have 'always' had a last cut in november but if the penultimate one was 1 in october im not surprised! lol.

when i worked for derby city council '73-'90 we always finished grasscutting in october. since being self employed it wasnt until the mid 90's that i started cutting grass as part of my round in november. this was because after 'finishing' in late october i was inundated with calls requesting a further cut. i operate a fortnightly round from march-nov, and the november round is now essential.

Posted
but that depends upon the frequency of cut. you might have 'always' had a last cut in november but if the penultimate one was 1 in october im not surprised! lol.

when i worked for derby city council '73-'90 we always finished grasscutting in october. since being self employed it wasnt until the mid 90's that i started cutting grass as part of my round in november. this was because after 'finishing' in late october i was inundated with calls requesting a further cut. i operate a fortnightly round from march-nov, and the november round is now essential.

Cut was every week.

Posted
Cut was every week.

deep/rich topsoil?... every lawn is different and some lawns i do start growing late, others are late stopping, some are vigorous whilst others are fine..

checking my records, it was '95 that i was phoned up by loads after finishing too soon. 91-95 i had finished mowing by nov 4th.

Posted
deep/rich topsoil?... every lawn is different and some lawns i do start growing late, others are late stopping, some are vigorous whilst others are fine..

checking my records, it was '95 that i was phoned up by loads after finishing too soon. 91-95 i had finished mowing by nov 4th.

I don't know-my point was that people seem to be saying the grass is growing much longer and later into the year. From my experience nothing has changed-the current warm/wet weather had made it grow longer but to be still cutting mid November is not unusal in my experience.

Posted
I don't know-my point was that people seem to be saying the grass is growing much longer and later into the year. From my experience nothing has changed-the current warm/wet weather had made it grow longer but to be still cutting mid November is not unusal in my experience.

that i,ll knock the bloody stuff back 4 good hard frosts in row yaaaay

Posted

i take your point, mine being that over the last ten years cutting grass in november is now the norm, the lawns i cut over the last 2 days have all had record amounts on for early november... i think that in another ten years of GW the last cut might be december, my season has certainly lengthend.

Posted

Mine's looking great, even if I do say so myself. It had its autumn feed about 10 days ago, was nicely watered in by gentle rain and then the frosts put an end to worm activity and worm casts. Mowed it on the highest setting yesterday mainly to take the leaves up and chop them into bits (for quicker leaf mould) and it's looking extremely splendid.

Have a rotatry aerator too so need to give it a good spike in the next few days.

Posted
Mine's looking great, even if I do say so myself. It had its autumn feed about 10 days ago, was nicely watered in by gentle rain and then the frosts put an end to worm activity and worm casts. Mowed it on the highest setting yesterday mainly to take the leaves up and chop them into bits (for quicker leaf mould) and it's looking extremely splendid.

Have a rotatry aerator too so need to give it a good spike in the next few days.

indeed, using your mower as a leaf clearer is a very efficient way of clearing your lawn whilst tidying it too!

drgl Posted Today, 10:06

cut mine hopfully for the last time yesterday. Depressing to see the moss has returned

yeah the moss has really made the most of the moist warm weather this autumn, i too am now on my last rounds, due to finish on the 24th....

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
cut mine again today

its november and i am cutting the lawn in a t shirt

My son cut the grasses round the house here hopefully for the last time this year, while I shifted cows and and calves to a fresh grass field where there has been 3 inches of fresh growth in the last 3 weeks Autumn growth is going on for longer particularly when we missed the forecast frosts last week due to cloud coming down overnight from the north. Has been one of the best autumns for grass growth ever although we are also feeding a winter diet alongside to make up for any mineral shortfall in the grass . Lovely mild breezey drying day here today dust flying when I shifted the cattle !!!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Dunno why people feed the Lawn. It grows quite happily with any extra help.