Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daily Express

Posted

Thanks for printing the article, save me spending 70p or whatever it costs nowadays. I've never read such vague twaddle, I should think they've had this story on the backburner for a while now waiting for when the weather finally turned a bit cooler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Unfortunately the less informed, the ill informed and the completely uninformed will be regurgitating this for the next 4 months.

On every mild day from now until the beginning of March I look forward to parrying comments such as ' they said it would be a cold winter but it's warm isn't it'

If the winter isn't cold most of the flak will be directed at the Met' Office as very few people make the distinction between forecasts from different organisations/ individuals and those from the Met' Office.

T.M

:nonono: Absolute tripe i am afraid,saw the cover of the express about 2 months ago and guess what it said then?

Winter will be the NEW summer! Had to pick it up for a laugh and it said that the mild and wet would hold ALL the way to next spring with way above average temperatures ALL over Europe - SNIGGER!!!

Then of course The UKMO changed its views pointing towards maybe cold maybe mild and the Express puts THAT tripe in its paper and i did read it in Morrisons this morning and made the staff smile this cold morning with my guffaws of laughter!!!

What do i find on the net but the UKMO going BACK to a mild(ish)winter forecast - HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically its typical tabloid tripe,i would'nt believe them if the said the earth was round - what you mean it is well fancy that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Posted

Don't worry, the Daily Express 'journalist' who wrote the article will have to go back to school soon after work expeience. Utter fiction (nothing new there then).

:) Moose

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

this is the story from the daily express

Britain faces arctic winter

01/11/06

By Mark Reynolds

AFTER one of the hottest summers on record, Britons have been warned to prepare for the big chill.

Weathermen sent out the alert as they told the nation to wrap up for an icy blast from the Arctic.

Temperatures are set to plummet to minus 4 degrees celsius (24F) overnight in some parts of the country in what could herald the start of a long and bitter winter.

The sheer scale of the change in temperature, dropping up to 24F, will make conditions feel even colder.

The meteorologists warned that strong winds will also add to the chill factor in the wake of the warmest six months since records began.

But last night the Met Office said the big chill, which is initially set to grip the nation for at least the next week, signals an end to the extraordinarily mild weather.

Long-term forecasters believe the hot summer will give way to an unusually icy winter, with one agency predicting a 40 per cent chance of a white Christmas.

Some forecasters warned that parts of the country in February and March could face temperatures as low as minus 10C.

Andrew Bond, senior forecaster with MetCheck.com, said: “Traditionally, people see the winter months as November, December and January.

"But, if we look back over recent years, the winters have been slightly later through February and March.

“During the winter months in parts of the country we could see overnight temperatures of minus 10C.”

BBC long-term forecaster Susan Powell said: “The crux of the long-term forecast is that the period from December to February is likely to have lower than average temperatures.”

She added that this winter was likely to require the “piling on of Christmas jumpers and bobble hats”.

Other experts also warned that the winter is likely to be particularly drawn out, lasting into late March or beyond.

Dr Richard Wild, forensic meteorologist for WeatherNet Ltd, said: “We are experiencing the El Nino scenario, where the underlying effects of the temperature of the Pacific affects weather patterns.

“These underlying trends are towards a warmer winter in December and January for the US and Canada followed by a colder spell for Europe in early March, similar to the conditions we had last March, with cold dry turns and outbreaks of wind and snow.

“I think it would be fair to say that, if the El Nino system turns out to be the decisive factor, we can expect colder than average conditions at the end of winter in February and going into next spring.”

A Met Office spokesman said: “We have been getting used to winds coming from the south or south-west but we are going to get a blast of northerly air from the Arctic Circle for the first time.

“From tomorrow, especially in the East, there are going to be some pretty cold nights. The winds will swing round to come from the north and drop off slightly – light winds and cold air are the perfect ingredients for frost.

“A lot of people will be scraping the ice off their windscreens tomorrow morning.

“Temperatures will get down to freezing across the country and are expected to drop down to minus 3C (26F) or minus 4C (24F) in rural parts.

“Conditions may hover a degree or so above zero in cities in the South, but elsewhere the weather will be the coldest we have had so far. As a rough guide, wherever you are in the country, people will be looking at temperatures half as warm compared to recent days. It will be accentuated because we have had such a prolonged summer.”

Daytime temperatures will also be low, plunging in early November to just 5C (41F) in southern England and 3C (37F) in northern England and Scotland.

This summer has been the longest and hottest since records began in 1659, with both July and September the warmest on record.

Average temperatures in October were 12.9C (55.2F) and 15.4C (59.7F) in September. The figures are based on the central England temperature, which covers a triangle between Bristol, Lancashire and London.

The only two months to have been below average were February and March.

The Met Office spokesman added: “I would not be at all surprised if this is the hottest-ever year. Eight out of the 10 hottest years on record have come since 1989 and it is looking like this will beat them all.”

The increasingly hot summers and long late winters have already played havoc with nature, with leaves still on the trees in November and daffodils not coming into bloom until mid to late April.

Experts believe the extremes of weather are all part of the global warming phenomenon.

The highest temperature during October was 23C (73F) at St Peter Port on Guernsey on October 9. The month’s lowest reading was minus 1.8C at Glenlivet in Scotland overnight on October 15-16.

=========================================================================

i apologise if this has already been posted previously

nigel

Posted
Anyone seen the express this morning.? The headline caught my eye. I haven't bought the paper and I'm reluctant to spend my money on it but I may try borrow one later. Didn't they have the same headline this time last year or something similar along the lines of "hundreds will die in arctic winter"

kind regards

JJB

oh, no - here we go again with the usual tabloid newspaper nonsense hype!

Posted

To be fair, these internet sites like Metcheck and WeatherNet Ltd are half, if not more, of the problem with their continual feeding of the tabloids. What on earth are people like Andrew Bond thinking when they pronounce that Nov, Dec and Jan are the traditional winter months? How can he purport to be a respected meteorologist with drivel like this? I can only think the reason why Mr Bond, Dr Wild et al do this is to get their and their agency's name in the press, so more hits to their site hence more advertising revenue. Thankfully our own NWx does not appear to have fed the tabloids with these long-range hopecasts and we must be grateful for that. I don't know what Susan Powell is basing her colder-than-average winter forecast on, but since she is employed by the Met Office presumably she is speaking on their behalf? I can't believe she's allowed to freelance.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Oh dear, see the Daily Express has weather related drivel on the front again ...

express.gif

Can see the -14C, but squinting at the small print it seems to say "Big freeze will hit Britain this month" or something similarly laughable ... B)

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Here's the full article for today's Express 'Big Freeze' story:

http://www.express.co.uk/news_detail.html?sku=651

... especially like this:-

Piers Corbyn, head of long-range forecasters Weather Action, said: “Towards the end of the month it will turn bitterly cold with snow showers and fog.

"There will then be extensive snowfalls, especially in Scotland and north and central England in addition to the north and east Midlands. Temperatures could fall as low as minus 14C in Scotland, the north and the west Midlands.

Posted

More of the same re-hashed half truths garnished from various weather sites and, as usual, totally ingores all the caveats and postings they don't like.

Utter cobblers.

Edited by misfitdog

Posted

Nothing surprises me anymore with regards to how the media handle our weather.

It doesn't matter if they are talking about big freezes or floods i.e Boscastle their information is often incorrect. Remember how Boscastle & the Tornado in Birmingham was blamed on GW which of course is total rubbish.

The media seem to have taken an OTT American approach to presenting our weather , but the difference is the US do have extreme weather worth reporting yet our climate is tame in comparison. Note how in winter if 3inches of snow has fallen how the newspapers will have headlines like "Blizzards sweep UK" GMTV will have reporters all over the country showing footage of this snowfall! and they always say "Worse is yet to come" even if the forecasts say the opposite. <_<

The Met Office are just as bad IMO because you can guarantee this winter when scattered snow showers are predicted they will issue severe weather warnings!. The problem with this is the general public will start to ignore these warnings and when a proper snow event occurs (not if but when!) the public will get caught out due to the many false alarms previously.

Posted

Piers Corbyn is known as a met-gambler. He enjoyed a high media profile about 5 years ago and his web site will surely benefit from this story.

However, his forecasts were uncannily accurate when I subscribed to his company many months ago.

Would he be sensationalist to receive hits on his web site?

What if he is wrong? His standing in the public/private eye would be damaged and I assume that the large companies that pay to take his forecasts would look for a new forecaster.

This story has contradicted the bbc monthly outlook. Only got 1 month to wait and see!!!

Posted
What if he is wrong? His standing in the public/private eye would be damaged and I assume that the large companies that pay to take his forecasts would look for a new forecaster.

Surely that would be the same for any company that sell LRF!

It seems to me that the Express has researched the number of "hits" that this site and others have received and the

numbers who regually debate LRF and model discussions during the winter period.

They have realised that many readers and contributers enjoy the prospect of cold weather and that there is a "market"

there for the taking!! Hoping for increased sales at the newsagents.

I, for one, prefer to stick to our own resident forcasters, all of whom i wish well, to meet my needs this winter! <_<

regards

ms

Posted

I remember a work colleague scoffing when I used to buy the Express.

Needless to say I haven't bought it in years.....I buy the Sun, much more reliable. <_<

Posted

"Average temperatures in October were 12.9C (55.2F) and 15.4C (59.7F) in September. The figures are based on the central England temperature, which covers a triangle between Bristol, Lancashire and London."

Way off with the September figure, that should be 16.8C <_<

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Well I can kiss another proper winter goodbye. The release of such patheticly inaccurate and hysterical stories is equally proportional to a complete lack of snow on the ground.

The crappy media have no place in weather forecasting. In the summer they said that August would be much hotter than June or July and it was far cooler. It's not as if their drivel is in any way connected to any reliable forecasts. Sensationalism gone mad - frosts in November is hardly news. Minus 14 in winter in some places is par as a minimum figure. Don't let the facts get in the way of a story that will scare the general public. As for the bod who is forecasting snow 'everywhere' and especially mentioning Central England: does he actually live in the real world? These newspapers aren't fit to wipe my I have a problem on.

Crap, crap and crap again.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted

I noted that the Daily something or other had a headline of -14C later this month

All the work of Pier Corbin it seems.

His track record whilst not too bad is not too good either.

So get the thermals, windscreen scrapers, shovels etc out ready for later this month!

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

It will be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of November when I am sure we will still be accurately slating the story as absolute drivel (and we will be able to stress 'you heard it here on N-W first').

Posted

Even if it does become true, they will only be credited to having made a lucky guess. So they are on a hiding to nothing coming out with an headline like this. Like many have said, it's hardly a revelation to say that parts of the country will be at -10. Almost every winter, somewhere get's that temperature. I treat LRF's, especially one's saturated in headline seeking sensationalim, with a large pinch of ice melting salt.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Oh my God. The Daily Express without a picture of Princess Diana on the front page. Life as we know it must be coming to an end.

Instead an Arctic Winter. Excuse me while I vomit.

And people get paid to come out with this unsubstantiated drivel?

Posted

I just read the article.

Unbelievable.

Must reprint

TOP STORIES

Winter roars in...and autumn's barely begun

02/11/06

By Mark Reynolds

WEATHERMEN last night warned that blizzards and temperatures as low as minus 14C will engulf the country before the end of the month.

As the cold snap brought the first winter frosts to many parts of Britain yesterday, forecasters warned of worse to come.

They predicted that substantial falls of snow are likely to affect most parts of the country before the end of November, bringing travel chaos.

As the big chill hits its coldest, temperatures will plummet to between minus 5 and minus 14C.

If this stuff was posted on this forum with no supporting data/theory you'd be called a wind-up merchant. Rightly so.