Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daily Express

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
I'm sure that the Express is running a hidden agenda to dispell fears of Global warming fueling climate change. In the not too distant future I'm sure they'll roll out all their unfounded, sensationalist headlines as proof positive that climate change isn't happening. Something along the lines of " they told you to expect.................and what happened".

Nah, that suggests forward thinking and planning in an industry notorious for month-by-month readership triumphs and catastrophes. It's an attempt to sell newspapers on the back of no evidence, They know apocalyptic headlines sell chip-wrappers, so they find someone who's prepared to exchange long-term credibility for short-term publicity and Bob's your mother's brother. When this doesn't happen (yes, I know it might) if the Excess ever refer to it again, which I doubt, then they can roll their eyes and blame Corbyn, or the Met or whoever and go back to stories about death-bring asylum-seekers, or miniscule changes in the housing market or headline number 18645443867543 on some new Princess of Wales conspiracy theory.

Ha ha ha - here's the link to the Express website (identified through Google as 'The World's Greatest Newspaper' - no hyperbole there then. Guess what the three top headlines are about. Go on, guess!!

http://www.express.co.uk/news.html

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted

Morning all

after Yesterdays headlines, i had to chuckle, You have to admire the persistance of this paper that there is going to be a winter Apocolypse.

Having said that makes you wonder if there is anything in what they are trying to get across after the last four weeks of gales and floods.

i see the next headline for the express been " Santa rides into town on his surf board as nation floods"

:wallbash:

LO

I remember a work colleague scoffing when I used to buy the Express.

Needless to say I haven't bought it in years.....I buy the Sun, much more reliable. :wallbash:

Reliable source of semi naked tottie and civil engineering vacancies only though! Oh, I forgot, an easy crossword too! Both the Express and Daily Mail are really only magazines now - the Telegraph (but too big I would prefer if it went tabloid) and Times are better I think anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Oh dear :wallbash: - I think I will stick to a proper weather agency for my weather information!

Perhaps Rick Lemming is working for them now :)

Posted

Its unbelievable that they are actually quoting Corbyn for a long range forecast after the disaster of his November forecast and his prediction of no record breaking warm year.

Has Corbyn apologised for his sensationalistic garbage that he issued last month?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Its unbelievable that they are actually quoting Corbyn for a long range forecast after the disaster of his November forecast and his prediction of no record breaking warm year.

Has Corbyn apologised for his sensationalistic garbage that he issued last month?

Must be dodgy sunspots that put November off. :lol:

Posted

All this has stopped me packing away my summer clothes. Barby on the beach this Christmas anyone? :lol:

Posted
Rockall evacuated as first of global warming megastorms hits
Ye can moov me, but ye'll 'no moov 'ma Rockall!
Mr Corbyn said the new storms were being caused by unusual activity on the Sun, which he said influences the Earth's weather patterns. He explained: "We are seeing extra magnetic activity from the Sun and extra particles in the solar wind.

"The strength of the Earth's magnetic connection with the Sun determines our weather to a large extent, so we will see solar storms mirrored here on Earth."

Hmmm! A solar radiation storm of S3 yesterday (link] was evident. We're all doomed, i tell 'ya - doomed. Also, i've no information (Mr Data to the fore) about how our weather was when the top-rated X28 solar flare of a few years ago occured. I think everything was just fine and dandy then.

Sensationalistic *bleep* designed to scare little old granny and her pet parrot. To think people get paid for writing this stuff! lol

Edited by Laura
Swearing

Posted

Okay, I've had my fun with your press, but what about our press? Ha!

_______The Vancouver Daily Shriek_________

Britain sees it all -- expert blames weather

LONDON -- A day after munster winds ripped apart cars, homes and pubs in

one of London's most hysterical neighbourhoods, temper-atures plunged to almost

frosty levels as some places suffered through a rare December freeze which saw

thermomatters fall to zero or so. This brought a sudden end to the growing season

in such places as Gnatborough, Lesser Rampington, and Toad Hall.

Climate expert Philip Davis said that as far as he could see, this was consistent

with the warnings issued many years ago by the Council of Elders and the

Hundred Bearded Gurus when they met at Kyoto, which is the capital of South

Korea.

Meanwhile, in Cardiff, England, residents reported an odd glow in the sky that

may have been either the moon or a big cloud lit up by a distant town. And in

Dublin, the Scotch capital, people were going about their daily business without

their customary kilts or any sort of marching bands. This was said to be a

direct result of either global warming or it being Friday.

The weather has also been very disruptional in other parts of the globe. In the

African country of Paraguay, an election which was to feature the first secret

ballet in their history had to be postponed because of very heavy rain caused by

a very heavy rainstorm. And in the Polish district of Transylvania, landslides

brought mud and rocks down from the mountains where Vlad the Impaler once

impaled, to cover the main road from Plzczuzczcz to Klzcvzcacvazzcvazzklaz.

Meanwhile here at home, the weather continues to be quite pleasant, bringing

out crowds of Santas and people learning to drive in the various local shopping

malls. It is now only 1130 days to the Winter Olumpics, and construction work

is said to be "well ahead of ridicule" by the mayor of Squamish, which really

is a town and I didn't make that up.

:):);)

Posted
Mr Corbyn said the new storms were being caused by unusual activity on the Sun, which he said influences the Earth's weather patterns. He explained: "We are seeing extra magnetic activity from the Sun and extra particles in the solar wind.

"The strength of the Earth's magnetic connection with the Sun determines our weather to a large extent, so we will see solar storms mirrored here on Earth."

I think what that really shows the flaw in his system in that you have to predict events on the Sun before you have to predict weather events on Earth. And if the Sun plays up, then you have got real problems.

Posted

Yep, Mr D - do you know of any weather related stories/events that occured after the X28 solar flare? That really is the bottom line as to whether the logic/reasoning is correct or not :unsure:

Posted

Uh-oh, here comes another one ...

____The Undependable____

Alternative methods of weather forecasting

THERE IS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO SKIN A CAT

Today's Sunday feature will interest everyone who takes any notice of the weather. In

a busy meteorological office, the first thing you will notice, well the second, the first would

be the total absence of fashion sense, the second thing would be a lot of big, whirring

computers, windows to see far out to the west, preferably, and a lot of people rushing

around with bits of paper yelling things like "force 9 at M6" and "where's my lunch?"

Little wonder that from an environment such as this, forecasts of dazzling accuracy extending

many hours into the future, can be issued to the general public, warning them of winds, rain

and harsh sunshine.

But these highly trained professionals are not the only players in the game of weather

forecasting. There are as many methods as days in the year, if not more, or less.

In a secret, undisclosed office located at 38 Dimming Lane, London W2, "solar meteorologist"

Gavin Flair told me about his method, which involves cycles of sunspots, flares, and ripples

of plasma. "It's always sunny on the Sun," remarked Mr. Flair, who has an advanced degree

in yak farming technology. "From this, I extrapolate many cycles of data until I get any

correlation over .02, then I announce that as a forecast." Mr. Flair's forecast for this winter

is for monstrous far off storms followed by extreme normality.

Meanwhile, on a farm in Somerset, Ashton Kneecap-Jones swears by his method, which is

to count the number of acorns on a patch of ground he calls the "winter matrix." When this

number exceeds 200, he is confident that winds will be from the southwest and acorns will

scatter in a generally northeast direction, "if the pigs don't get at them first."

You wouldn't think that someone in distant British Columbia would care about the weather in

the U.K., let alone know anything about it, but at least one of these assumptions may be

flawed. Rudyard Smythe, who was interested in the weather from a very early age that

he estimates to be in the late medieval warm period, claims that the planet Murkury, together

with variations of the Moon and what he calls magnetism, have something to do with the

weather here on earth. "Whether that has any bearing on the weather in the U.K. is another

point entirely," he told me on a remarkably clear phone connection, given the distance between

us. "The weather in the U.K. seems to be more dependent on carbon dioxide than any other

part of the atmosphere." I took that to be some kind of obscure joke he was making.

Finally, there is yet another alternative method of forecasting known as anti-GFS analysis. In

this method, the GFS model is utilized, then the exact opposite of what it indicates for ten days

into the future is given as a forecast. This method is getting rave reviews from many seasoned

weather watchers, although there are occasions where it breaks down and the pro-GFS

method works instead. No one is sure what causes these mysterious outbreaks of GFS

accuracy, but a computer virus is suspected.

Posted
Yep, Mr D - do you know of any weather related stories/events that occured after the X28 solar flare? That really is the bottom line as to whether the logic/reasoning is correct or not :unsure:

I checked and there was a powerful solar eruption in September 1859, the last 4 months of that year were overall cold with an especially cold December. October 1859 looks like a "November 2005 type" with a very mild first half and a cold second half. Rainfall totals were unremarkable.

I think what that really shows the flaw in his system in that you have to predict events on the Sun before you have to predict weather events on Earth. And if the Sun plays up, then you have got real problems.

hte problem is he bases it on the tabloid newspaper.

Posted
hte problem is he bases it on the tabloid newspaper.

Very true, the tabloids only have to copy word by word, their work is done by him.

This link was posted on TWO, more Piers Corbyn sensationalism.

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/displayN...tentPK=16156597

Piers Corbyn, director of Weather Action, a long range weather forecaster, said: "Devon and Cornwall can expect to have very bad weather this month.

"You're looking at 90 to 100mph gusts of wind, lots of thunder and lightning and possible tornado developments. And it's going to be even worse on the coast."

Mr Corbyn said that three "serious" storms would hit the South West between Wednesday and Friday this week, between December 18 to 20 and December 26 to 28.The storms will peak in intensity just after Christmas as people return home after spending the festive season with their families.

"These are going to be worse than the storms we had last week," he said. "It would be best to avoid travelling then."

If I saw this, I would be very worry if I didn't have access to the models. At the moment, the models for 18th-20th are showing no such thing for that time period.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

I like the way that he's getting slated in the comments beneath the article. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Posted
Very true, the tabloids only have to copy word by word, their work is done by him.

If I saw this, I would be very worry if I didn't have access to the models. At the moment, the models for 18th-20th are showing no such thing for that time period.

Well its pretty clear that Piers Corbyn has had another forecasting disaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Well its pretty clear that Piers Corbyn has had another forecasting disaster

If we have our 'average ' weather type at the end of the month (zonal,windy,rain) he'll probably call it a sucess!

Posted

Almost picked myself off the floor after reading this

Is Piers Corbyn for real?

http://express.lineone.net/news_detail.html?sku=923

Piers Corbyn, long-range forecaster for Weather Action, said: “We’ve already had two big storms in the last month and we’re expecting another one now.

“From Boxing Day onwards gales will sweep in from the west. This should get rid of any fog but expect to see gusts of up to 80mph, and certainly storm damage.

“The storm will be most intense on December 27 and 28 – but will continue into December 29.

“Meanwhile, the east will see breezy and showery conditions with variable cloud. It could well be wetter and windier, depending on how far east the storm travels.

“Looking into the New Year, we’ll get probably the first significant snowfall of the winter.”

From the same article

Jim Dale, from British Weather Services, added: “In early 2007, we will get weather from Eastern Europe and that means snow.”

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Do you know, I'm beginning to think the word 'irresponsible' isn't too harsh for such outlandish publicity-seeking guesses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

John Kettley is involved, I think?

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Surely after a while all these nonsensically rubbish forecasts will stop being printed by the popular press, because even they can't keep on peddling the same b***s*** indefinitely without looking stupid sooner or later. Or can they - I guess in some ways it depends on how many times you can say 'Boo' to someone before they stop reacting ??? I guess as long as using a sensationalist weather headline keeps boosting sales, no matter how outlandish it is in reality, they will keep doing it I'm afraid, and there'll always be some 'expert' to provide the quasi-scientific quotes to back it all up.