Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Importing a Davis Vantage Pro from America

Dr_G

Hello again,

After an offline exchange with ‘The Pit’ , I was just looking further at his intriguing proposition of importing a Davis Vantage Pro from the address he posted on this forum:

http://weatherstation.net/index.php

In another thread, Paul suggested these people, also in America, selling it for $595 :

http://www.davisweathersite.com/blank.html

but they only appear to sell US versions, and there is a disclaimer on their site saying they can only sell within USA.

With todays exchange rate, the wireless Vantage Pro would cost the equivalent of £260, compared with £500 over here. This £500 is a total rip-off, and is way over my budget, but £260 for a quality system…is a totally different proposition. I would consider upping my budget for a quality product at this price.

Does anyone know what Tax would be added to this, and any other costs involved? The contact procedure at the retailler in America is pretty hopeless at the moment, but I am determined to find out what the overall cost would be! Has anyone else actually gone through this? Would there be any chance of importing a few units for people on the forum?

Regards,

Garth.

tax P&P and Customs charges :D

and it illegal to use one of the usa ones over here

Stuart,

Yes, but what are the charges in terms of cost? Surely still cheaper than the system over here?

The retailler in the first link (from ThePit) sells UK versions as well as US ones, so they would obviously be legal over here. That is simply not an issue as far as I can see.

Regards,

Garth.

Posted

I wouldn't worry about importing it from the US in terms of support because I've phoned Davis direct on several occasions. But if something actually went wrong with it, you might be stuck because all the UK repairs are carried out by McMurdo (or something like that) and you have to get a returns number from your retailer. Or at least, I did.

In terms of import duty, look here http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...=HMCE_CL_000230 but remember that the VAT is added to the whole lot, not just the original price from the US.

I've tried it with telescopes, and it's really not worth the hassle.

Stuart, Osbourne,

Thank you both for your comments. I will research further!

Regards,

Garth.

By the way, even if additional costs were £100 or so, the potential saving would be almost equivalent to TWO low spec. Lacrosse units....

Edited by Dr_G

Posted

Hi Garth

The second link you posted there used to have a UK version as little as a few weeks ago but have now changed their website. I have e-mailed them to see if they have any UK versions left as i was about to purchase one as well. Also to note that there $595 price included shipping and all fees. Which i enquired about and they said they would help out with customs.

I will let you know what they say :D

:D -->

QUOTE(Ross B @ 3 Nov 2006, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i enquired about and they said they would help out with customs.

Be very careful Ross, when they say help out they usually mean they'll lie about the product and value on the customs paperwork, this is illegal for both parties and if found out both you and the seller can face fines/prosecution by HMCR, so, if they do 'help' out, make sure its in a legitimate way.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
I wouldn't worry about importing it from the US in terms of support because I've phoned Davis direct on several occasions. But if something actually went wrong with it, you might be stuck because all the UK repairs are carried out by McMurdo (or something like that) and you have to get a returns number from your retailer. Or at least, I did.

I've tried it with telescopes, and it's really not worth the hassle.

I haven't had a problem with this as Davis, once you've got a contact are very helpful and will help you out to a surprising degree. Sent me several free replacements.

As for helping out with customs they just normally set the price at a lower point than normal. Another words direct us to uk conversion. Customs won't know as they're clueless.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
Stuart, Osbourne,

Thank you both for your comments. I will research further!

Regards,

Garth.

By the way, even if additional costs were £100 or so, the potential saving would be almost equivalent to TWO low spec. Lacrosse units....

you are welcome :)

Guys,

FYI, I e-mailed the people from http://www.davisweathersite.com/blank.html (a company called 'Weatherkeeper'), and got the reply that they could under no circumstances export any Davis system to the UK. They said however that they could export Lacrosse systems.

I am now pursuing, lets just say "other lines of enquiry". Since seeing the US price of a Davis system and knowing what that price will buy as an equivalent over here, I simply refuse to pay the UK price for a Davis system. It is a blatant rip-off plain and simple.

Its time to turn the tables... ;)

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice - I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Garth.

Posted

Yeah, i have contacted various people and nobody will export them to the UK :lol:

That site still have not mailed me back either!

Posted

One of the reasons they will probably not send one to you may be because of their licence agreement with the distributors over here, if these ditributors find out they have exported one to an individual then it could cause problems from the UK guys.

Just a thought.

Posted

Possibly, but i would assume it's also because the US version of the station is ilegal here. Thats why i'd like to buy the UK version but i dont want the UK price tage with it :blush:

:angry: -->

QUOTE(Ross B @ 8 Nov 2006, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Possibly, but i would assume it's also because the US version of the station is ilegal here. Thats why i'd like to buy the UK version but i dont want the UK price tage with it ;)

Ross B,

No, they could supply UK versions no problem if they were allowed - they freely advertised a choice of zones in previous adverts, including UK.

It is simply price fixing by Davis.

Regards,

Garth.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Hi,

Interesting discussion. I've tried to import Davis Instruments parts from the US however no company that I'd contacted would ship UK specification weather stations (or parts) to the UK due to the fact that they're not allowed to source UK specification weather stations or parts from Davis Instruments themselves. Whilst I'd prefer to buy from the UK it's frustrating how much cheaper the kit is in the US and that's with import duty and VAT added.

Kind Regards.

Edited by itx-weather

Stuart,

Yes, but what are the charges in terms of cost? Surely still cheaper than the system over here?

The retailler in the first link (from ThePit) sells UK versions as well as US ones, so they would obviously be legal over here. That is simply not an issue as far as I can see.

Regards,

Garth.

Hi Garth, Your original post was an interesting read. Couldn't find the second web-site that you'd posted however CCSI Ltd web-site was up and running.

This company sells US, EU and UK versions of Davis Instruments weather stations as you'd mentioned. US versions of Davis Instruments Vantage Pro and Vantage Pro II are undoubtedly illegal for use in the UK (from what I've been led to understand the use of a U.S. specification wireless weather station runs the risk of kit being confiscated by the DTI along and a hefty fine. Certainly not worth risking).

Am not sure how CCSI Ltd are able to supply EU and UK specification weather stations to EU and UK customers unless they ship from within the EU as Davis Instruments categorically won't supply resellers in the U.S. with European models of their weather stations.

Has anyone bought from this company?. Would you recommend them?.

Import duty is approximately 5%-10% from what I've gathered (could be wrong please don't quote on this). VAT is added @ 17.5% and couriers add a further charge for paying customs the import duty and excise up front on behalf of the consignee.

Please be aware that VAT is added onto the carriage that has been paid as well as the value of the weather station that has been imported (not sure whether import duty is added). A saving can still be made that is if it's possible to source a Davis Instruments weather station from outside of the EU (probably not possible).

Hope this is of some help.

Edited by newbie2linux

Posted

""Has anyone bought from this company?. Would you recommend them?""

Hi All,

Newbie here so please be patient. I ordered from them the week before Xmas (Monday) and the station arrived on the Thursday of the same week no hassle, no customs. I may just have been lucky tho.

One thing I would say is that it pays to haggle with them.. almost another $100 dollars of the listed price.

Novice

Posted

One way of getting around the import problems is to ask trusted family or friends residing in the US or Canada to purchase the item on your behalf (assuming you know someone suibtable). They then ship you the item as a 'gift' whilst you arrange transfer of the monies. Best not to do this too often though.

ffO

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm probably going to order a UK version from CCSI, they ship from Guernsey and use some loophole involving use of the product in mobile homes (?) to get around Davis terms and conditions.

Anyone had a bad experience with CCSI?