Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
8 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Forget about the 'Airglow' 🤪 I'd gotten a heads-up that the Aurora was seen from Yorkshire a little before midnight, after another quick run on-to the nearby field I finally got it 😄 the main event only lasted a few minutes at 0:15am'ish but there was still the green-glow seen all the way to 0:45am.

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Starry Sky, Scenery, Aurora

Great shot I see it got put on Buxton Weather 👍

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks Polar, it's not too bad for a first-time attempt 😁 if there was time to have set-up the D3300 properly i'd have gone for F5/1600 iso on the 30s exposure but a little bit of post-tweaking managed to save the image. But there's been some cracking shots i've seen on here and around social-media feeds by a lot more professional Aurora hunters. Hopefully I won't be needing to wait 39 years to see it again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Aurora timelapse here

• Like 8

Posted

Its looking fairly quiet on the graphs for tonight which is probably a good thing as the weather is forecast to be dire for many, the predicted energy of last night's CME impact isn't going to be as strong (a max of only KP6 is expected some-time over the next 24hr) compared to the main KP9 event anyway. Had the weather and graphs looked more favourable i'd be eyeing up the darker-skies around Stanage Edge, Snake Pass, or the Goyt for this evening.

Could contain: Chart, Bar Chart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Northern lights over Roundhay Park in Leeds last night 

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Aurora

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Its looking fairly quiet on the graphs for tonight which is probably a good thing as the weather is forecast to be dire for many, the predicted energy of last night's CME impact isn't going to be as strong (a max of only KP6 is expected some-time over the next 24hr) compared to the main KP9 event anyway. Had the weather and graphs looked more favourable i'd be eyeing up the darker-skies around Stanage Edge, Snake Pass, or the Goyt for this evening.

Could contain: Chart, Bar Chart

Yep, Not much chance here, unless kp7 or above. We are heading into Solar Max so last night shouldn't be the last hopefully 😊

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Taken on the phone , just after midnight. 

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Tree, Silhouette, Starry Sky, Landscape, Aurora, Scenery

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft

Sadly I missed it all even though I was popping my eye out the window here and there, if I went further north to the airport I may have caught something, but my interest was the Tornadoes in the USA during those hours, maybe next time, great shots and vids you all caught.

Edit:I believe the KP index was at 7.6?

Edited by Raindrops

Posted
3 hours ago, Raindrops said:

Sadly I missed it all even though I was popping my eye out the window here and there, if I went further north to the airport I may have caught something, but my interest was the Tornadoes in the USA during those hours, maybe next time, great shots and vids you all caught.

Edit:I believe the KP index was at 7.6?

Yes touching 8.. missed it myself by probebly 30 minuets after stopping up and to calling it a night, was to tired ☺️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
14 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Graeme Whipps

Wow,...nice timelapse mate😏

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So this cycle could be twice as strong as cycle 24?

Not been hearing from the folk promising a 'Maunder-like' minimum from this cycle recently......

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Not been hearing from the folk promising a 'Maunder-like' minimum from this cycle recently......

So much for SC25 being weaker than 24!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
17 hours ago, Don said:

So much for SC25 being weaker than 24!!

I think there was a contingent of those 'demanding such' that were basically 'Global Warming Deniers' either clutching at straws for some 'global cooling' driven by a 'Maunder-like minimum' or just trying to wind up those concerned at the pace of evolving warming impacts?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I think there was a contingent of those 'demanding such' that were basically 'Global Warming Deniers' either clutching at straws for some 'global cooling' driven by a 'Maunder-like minimum' or just trying to wind up those concerned at the pace of evolving warming impacts?

Didn't someone even suggest it be called the 'Landscheidt Minimum'? 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Either way it all seems rather bleak!!

• Like 1

Posted
On 12/04/2023 at 11:39, Gray-Wolf said:

I think the main point is that despite all the data, equipment etc available, we can’t still predict the next solar cycle’s outcome. Cast our minds back to 2007 or so when it was expected that the coming solar cycle to be even greater than it’s predecessor. 

• Like 2

Posted

Some very good Aurora to the North going off social media.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Looking quite cloudy for England and Wales tomorrow night, but for Scotland and Ireland, some good viewing conditions possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

Heads up!

AURORAWATCH.LANCS.AC.UK

See the aurora borealis from the UK

Could contain: Business Card, Paper, Text, Chart

Edited by LeeKay/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
2 minutes ago, LeeKay/ said:

Heads up!

AURORAWATCH.LANCS.AC.UK

See the aurora borealis from the UK

Have you got a clear sky? Just got drizzly raincloud cover over our way.