Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted
The Telford effect would work inversely in that it would kick off in late August and by the time snowfall (or sleetfall) is actually a realistic possibilty, it will have run out of steam.

Using the same principles, a "Hastings" or a "Burton" could equally apply. For favourable teleconnections, forecast months in advance, one could apply a "Bexley", but most certainly not a "Steeton", "Sheffield" or a "Devon".

Bexleys of teleconnected potential has a very good ring to it. You could build on that with Snowmaiden's adjectives according to whichever model is being used. I still haven't quite got my head around the QBO. Treat with suspicion anything with a "Q" in it.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

These are tough times for rampers (and dull ones for SATSIGSers), so I thought I'd draw attention to a hopelessly low-grade almost-ramp emanating from Lincolnshire (just spotted in the Model Discussion). "If only it was cold and it was snow instead (of rain) I would be looking at a good covering by morning."

Not really a ramp at all, more of a heartfelt wail. Perhaps it just squeaks in as an "honorable mention".....about 0.1 on the scale?

Edited by osmposm

Posted
These are tough times for rampers (and dull ones for SATSIGSers), so I thought I'd draw attention to a hopelessly low-grade almost-ramp emanating from Lincolnshire (just spotted in the Model Discussion). "If only it was cold and it was snow instead (of rain) I would be looking at a good covering by morning."

Not really a ramp at all, more of a heartfelt wail. Perhaps it just squeaks in as an "honorable mention".....about 0.1 on the scale?

Yes, perhaps we need a scale for the situation you describe. They can't be considered real ramps because there's nothing on the chart; they are very much contingent upon at least two, and usually more, "if's". For no good reason, and because I'm still having an Osborne about the missing baggage, "Dundees" come to mind as a potential unit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
ITS SLEETING HERE!! IN LEICESTER WOW! its raining so heavily and you can seen sum flakes of snow when the rain gets very heavy!!! wow

Awaiting an additional report from Telford. Sod all the science it's gonna sleet.

Posted
These are tough times for rampers (and dull ones for SATSIGSers)

But hope is at hand:

Black cabbie in London this week: 'Trouble is, love, it might be March, but we ain't out of the woods yet'

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Note to SF: 1. Dust down and oil Rampometer;

2. Watch for possible record readings for Abingdons;

3. Liaise with Nick S re supplies of Prozac;

4. Where is WIB when he is most needed?

We may have been lulled into a false sense of security...

Regards

ACB

Posted

Wild calls for the formation of polar lows ...without the primary depression. Potential record breaking overnight minima in the (yet to) snow fields. Intense rampitudinal waves are beginning to emanate. Good odds on an eventual eruption.

Posted
If we can't ramp in March, when can we ramp? :lol:

As for PL formation, I think Mondy's odds of 4-1 are quite generous.

A special mention to Sunday's FAX chart. Excitingly tight isobaric activity, associated with the odd kinky trough could result in many places receiving a good covering.

Posted

Polar lows will tRAMPle over the country associated with RAMPaging blizzards until the end of March.

Posted
A special mention to Sunday's FAX chart. Excitingly tight isobaric activity, associated with the odd kinky trough could result in many places receiving a good covering.

:lol:

;)

Posted

BLIZZARD ALERT!

Organised ramping of snow reports in central areas of England this afternoon:

1. Cambridgeshire reports conditions "like a blizzard" although it appears that no snow actually settled;

2. From Kidderminster we have a report of a "5 minute blizzard" resulting in 0.5cm snow (depth of drifts not given);

3. Meanwhile Burton on Trent has endured a "temporary blizzard" (as opposed, presumably, to the more usual semi-permanent blizzards that the Midlands can expect at this time of the year);

4. Finally an "almost blizzard" has been reported from north Warwickshire (accompanying photographic evidence does not appear to show settling snow let alone drifting snow...).

Reports from Telford eagerly awaited.

No reports as yet of "sleet blizzards".

Regards

ACB

Edited by acbrixton

Posted
BLIZZARD ALERT!

Regards

ACB

Now this is what I would call as severe blizzards. :o

Rrea00119520329.gif

Where is Connor now anyway?

Posted
BLIZZARD ALERT!

Organised ramping of snow reports in central areas of England this afternoon:

1. Cambridgeshire reports conditions "like a blizzard" although it appears that no snow actually settled;

2. From Kidderminster we have a report of a "5 minute blizzard" resulting in 0.5cm snow (depth of drifts not given);

3. Meanwhile Burton on Trent has endured a "temporary blizzard" (as opposed, presumably, to the more usual semi-permanent blizzards that the Midlands can expect at this time of the year);

4. Finally an "almost blizzard" has been reported from north Warwickshire (accompanying photographic evidence does not appear to show settling snow let alone drifting snow...).

Regards

ACB

Update...

Blizzard and 'Blizzard like' and 'almost blizzard like' conditions reported from the northwest, Derbyshire and the midlands. Few seem to involve any lying snow.

Rampometer needle still strangely quiet over Peterborough.

ABINGDON ALERT!!!

2 veering to 3 Abingdons reported from Bristol.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
Been banned for breaking the world moaning record.

I thought he'd merely relocated to the Shetlands.

Rain blizzard in Abingdon this morning. However, latest shower did muster some non-settling snow.

Few seem to involve any lying snow.

There was almost certainly lying snow in the Cheshire/Staffordshire border area at around 6am this morning.