Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The severe winter of 1978-79

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Even though we had pretty much 3 months of wintry conditions up here in the Pennines; the worst blizzard came around the middle of February when a near two day storm piled snow halfway up the side of the house and blocked local roads with 12 foot drifts for nearly two weeks.

the blizzard of late March 2013 gave it a run for its money with its fine powder snow and the winters of the early 80’s included some heavy falls of snow but I doubt we will ever see a repeat of the winter of discontent.

oh to have had the photographic ability of mobile phones in those days.

Posted

It went on into May and was one of the latest ever (cow) turn out days 17th May  and there was still no grass.
One day early March I think was the only time I saw snow rollers here.
There was snow on snow from just after Christmas until late March when it did thaw dramatically for a few days.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted

As I have posted elsewhere, Ian Currie reported (and I could confirm) two inches of snow at Reigate Hill and tulips weighed down by the weight of snow at Old Coulsdon on the North Downs on 2nd May 1979. This was the latest lying snowfall I've ever seen in the UK (2nd June 1975 was sleet in Central London) and, coming four months after the heavy snowfall around the New Year, made it the longest winter in my memory. It was certainly longer-lasting than 1963 but lacked the intensity of 1963 and 1987, with a number of false dawns before, in mid-May, the winter finally relented and moved into a less-than-memorable spring.   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
37 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

As I have posted elsewhere, Ian Currie reported (and I could confirm) two inches of snow at Reigate Hill and tulips weighed down by the weight of snow at Old Coulsdon on the North Downs on 2nd May 1979. This was the latest lying snowfall I've ever seen in the UK (2nd June 1975 was sleet in Central London) and, coming four months after the heavy snowfall around the New Year, made it the longest winter in my memory. It was certainly longer-lasting than 1963 but lacked the intensity of 1963 and 1987, with a number of false dawns before, in mid-May, the winter finally relented and moved into a less-than-memorable spring.   

I would love us to experience another 78/79 style winter, but I tell you what I wouldn't want - snow in May! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
6 hours ago, danm said:

I would love us to experience another 78/79 style winter, but I tell you what I wouldn't want - snow in May! 

You wouldnt have liked it here in the Pennines in either 1995 0r 1996 then,there were frequent snow flurries in both years with 1996 particularly cold you have to back over a century to find a colder May

Posted
On 24/01/2023 at 10:15, danm said:

Although I existed during the winter 78/79, I was too young to remember it.  However, I would take snow anytime of the year!!