Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ken Ring's Winter Forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
And maybe the ocean tide is pushed up by centrifugal forces and the moon's force is a finishing touch. And maybe the earth is warmed by cosmic rays and internal heat and the sun's effect is a finishing touch. And perhaps the rustling of the trees causes the wind and the earth's rotation+gravity+sun's heat+moon's direction are just finishing touches. Ple-ease..what would be so horribly wrong with the notion of a huge object between a quarter and a third the size of Earth(so close that it lights up the night sky enough to almost read by) affecting the air enough to alter the weather? And do you really think a tiny thing like a car's exhaust can alter weather/climate but a big thing like the moon cannot??? Oh, in case you haven't noticed, crabs, insects (like bees), birds, fish and cows obviously know more about astronomy than humans. They know when the moon is about to be full or new even though they often can't see it, and their behaviour, mating, migratory movement and feeding, alters accordingly. Now wouldn't it be good if one day we became smart like that.

Ken Ring

Hi Ken,

my answer was more for the board than for you directly. For many years I've been fascinated by the moon and her influences on us. Many folk feel they are far too sophisticated to have remained unaware of any influence on their lives other than self determination and luck and ,like climate change, once you are in your camp you tend to stick there (not many 'crossovers' take place).

In NW Europe something happened to supplant the moon as a core focus of our worship with the sun (move to agriculture?) and , in the same way Christianity did with our native religions, the 'solar cult' sought to remove the vestiges of our lunar ancestry and anything associated with it. This was in pre-history and so we are only left with monuments and folk history to remind us of our lost empathies with the moon (though most women, whilst still fertile, follow her 'ways' very closely)

In so far as it's effects on our weather, well, I feel I know so little on what drives our weather patterns that I find it difficult to assign any great weight to any one forcing but do keep as open a mind as possible to all the possible influences on it.

I do hope that this time you are not 'driven from the board' and are afforded as much opportunity to express your beliefs as are we all. Last times forced departure was sad. We all take stick if we stick our colours above the parapet so I would advise you develop a Rhino hide so you can shrug off the chicanery! :nonono:

Posted
Sorry if I misunderstood, Lady P. I thought you were saying the moon was against your religion but you didn't like the word bigoted, although you couldn't see that the moon could have any effect on weather. And that it was an opinion.

Which didn't detract from your openmindeness.

Nowhere, anywhere did I state the moon is against my religion.

How could that be? How?

How?

And no... I don't like the word bigoted, and I don't like your insinuations...

Tell you what, don't bother answering my questions, I'm obviously too stupid, close minded and opinionated... and enjoy having the last word; it obviously means a lot to you.

Posted
This was in pre-history and so we are only left with monuments and folk history to remind us of our lost empathies with the moon

Son, sun - 'tis the same thing really from a religious sense, with the former being an adaptation of the latter. To take christianity as an example (suspending any form of belief for a moment), Lucifer (aka the morningstar) translates to a rough meaning of "light bringer/bearer", which represents the dawn, thus instantly reminding us of the origin in the first book (genesis), and the polarity of light and dark / good and evil. This leaves the feminine principle to represent the darkness, and is probably the entire excuse of a thousand years or more of women being considered the weaker, more vulnerable sex more inclined to temptation (the feminine=darkness=evil sum that pertains to pre-christian moon worship. Once the sun became the primary focus of worship it was a jump that was easy enough to make, reinforcing the concept of the sinfulness of pagan worship while jumping on the "son/sun" worshipping train, which fitted nicely with the ideas of Christianity.

Not that I'm saying all this was pre-meditated though - it may or may not have been (we all know how brutal and self serving the roman church was in the early days and a 1000 years or so later), I only mean to say that the concept of son worship is still visible now through christian/vatican theology over the years. That doesn't mean to say that the meaning and curent understanding isn't different to what it was originally - just that you can read the history out of it as though it were an open book to some extent. Moon worship is a lot harder though, no doubt due to its lost significance from pre-pre christian times, but it's there to be understood no doubt - it just means digging a little deeper.

As far as I am aware though, historians tend to agree that unlike the sun, there was never really a "cult of the moon" per se, but instead just a general belief taking many forms.

Ok, somewhat off topic. Move along now - nothing to see here! B)

Posted

Thanks Crimsone, I think that the 'workings of the moon' ,it's observable forcings on nature around them and the fact that you can travel by night over the full moon (even when cloudy once your 'night vision' is in) placed the moon in a far more elevated position than we give it today. I agree that 'Religion' is far to stronger word but maybe 'respectful' of the moon and it's influence would serve better.

Posted
What is this moon you all talk of? Surely it's Luna?

Absolutely - that's her name, and most certainly not Europa or Io 8)

Thanks Crimsone, I think that the 'workings of the moon' ,it's observable forcings on nature around them and the fact that you can travel by night over the full moon (even when cloudy once your 'night vision' is in) placed the moon in a far more elevated position than we give it today. I agree that 'Religion' is far to stronger word but maybe 'respectful' of the moon and it's influence would serve better.

I largely agree there GW. Though I'm not sure if 'religion' is too strong a word, but rather, merely the wrong one.

Back when the influence of the moon was recognised, it often formed a major part of pantheistic "religion". Of course, it was religion of a form we don't really see today. If you were to imagine being around in the time of jesus (and shortly after) and the reading of parables as analogies of higher meanings, then that would be kind of where things were at.

To use greek/roman religion, each god or goddess, much like hinduism today, had a story (or parable) attached to him or her. They were anthropomorphised and each story told of deeds and interaction with other deities. From these stories, it was possible to better understand their role and characteristics. Some of the gods and goddesses were related with the moon or phases of the moon, and so demonstrating the belief that the moon, depending on it's phase, had certain properties/effects. While gods and goddesses at the time may have been considered to be real-world beings, so to speak, we'd now simply consider it "archetypal representation" (which is arguably no less powerful).

One example might be 'Diana's Bow' the very first arc of visible light of a new moon. Diana (AKA the maiden huntress, lady of the grove, etc) being a Roman goddess, and essentially the same as the Greek Artemis (another virgin huntress). Another goddess entering late into greek mytholgy and conflicting with Artemis is Hekate - goddess of the crossroads (or rather, the point at wich three roads meet). She herself was a threefold goddess (quivelant roughly to the concept of the christian trinity - three gods in one) and exsisted in three forms, being maiden, mother and crone, which relate to the waxing, full, and waning, moons respectively. Each facet of the maiden/mother/crone trinity itself is an archetypal representation, the characteristics of which are given to/taken from the according phase of the moon.

In my (limited) understanding, unlike today where the church effectively tells us all there is to know about God, at that time in greece, there would have been a general understanding and knowledge of the stories which were almost organic in being passed down and told to others. As such, individual people would have their own spirituality roughly matching that of everyone else but formed from their own understanding - temples were on occasion built by the lower classes rather than the state, and temple priests/oracles/etc consulted when a person needed advice, understanding, or clarification. It would seem to me then that back in those times, there was a general understanding that not only did the moon have an efect, but it had precise characteristics and effects both physical and metaphysical depending on the phase/position it was in.

In the modern sense, we observe that behavioral characteristics of certain animals can change according to the moons phase, and that it has a physical effect on tides. It seems we tend not to consider that it has any physical effect on the earths core or the atmosphere because we can't see or measure any change. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and logic suggests that it may indeed be the case, though to an unknown extent/effect as yet.

As to the metaphysical rather than the physical, I don't think we can say that the ancient greeks or romans (or insert pantheon here) were wrong with any certainty. It would certainly appear, apparently, that during such things as mass meditations, even simple human conciousness can have an effect on the zero-point field permeating the planet - NSFW!!: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/17/gl...oming_together/ - so who is to say that the moon itself doesn't have some influence on it, or perhaps something we simply haven't found yet? As ever, it may all be a matter of perspective as to what you see in it. plausibility is there though. It's not the same as evidence, but it's certainly a good enough reason to avoid dismissing the possibility out of hand though :)

Edited by crimsone

Nowhere, anywhere did I state the moon is against my religion.

How could that be? How?

How?

And no... I don't like the word bigoted, and I don't like your insinuations...

Tell you what, don't bother answering my questions, I'm obviously too stupid, close minded and opinionated... and enjoy having the last word; it obviously means a lot to you.

I can only repeat, sorry if I misunderstood you. If you decide to have a tantrum you must take responsibility for that. I am only trying to advance discussion here. This thread was a call to me to respond and I took up the offer. Messages do get misconstrued and I'd advise you to reapproach the subject if you felt misinterpreted. In my experience those who call themselves "religious" in the context of being anti to anything lunar are what I would call bigoted. Take it or leave it, but I didn't call anyone a bigot.

Posted

Ken

If your wife did what you have just said to Lady P would you say this

'If you decide to have a tantrum

Why oh why must you feel someone is 'getting at you'.

From my 3 years on here, longer in fact, she is one of the last to make unkind/unpleasant comments about people.

your initial apology will have been lost by your subsequent comment.

You really do shoot yourself in the foot when this time round almost everyone is bending over backwards to not upset you.

John

Posted
Has anyone seen Ken Ring's Winter forecast yet.? I've had a look at his website which only gives brief details (generally mild with snow between 31st Dec and 9th Jan). But he normally produces a more detailed forecast which seemed to be fairly accuate last year.

Please tell me you're being ironic. If not please tell me you're relying on his own analysis of accuracy, which did tend to use some fairly relaxed definitions of weather type and location of UK.

Posted

Well to be honest SF.. How bad did Ken do compared to some other posts?? Include some TV forecasts too perhaps?? Internet forecasts?? He did ok..!!

Ken.. With respect mate.. Could you please refrain from being harsh.. Some people do want to know what you think and ask questions.. A direct non dramatic answer would be great.. Neither yourself nor Net Weather would benefit from an annual breakdown of what could be a fantastic thread from one of the worlds leading alternative forecasters..

Forget religion.. Forget science.. Lets just have an open mind on this thread.. AND that applies to ALL.. Thanks :)

Well to be honest SF.. How bad did Ken do compared to some other posts?? Include some TV forecasts too perhaps?? Internet forecasts?? He did ok..!!

Ken.. With respect mate.. Could you please refrain from being harsh.. Some people do want to know what you think and ask questions.. A direct non dramatic answer would be great.. Neither yourself nor Net Weather would benefit from an annual breakdown of what could be a fantastic thread from one of the worlds leading alternative forecasters..

Forget religion.. Forget science.. Lets just have an open mind on this thread.. AND that applies to ALL.. Thanks :)

Absolutely agreed. Once again, apologies to Lady P. I accept responsibility for reacting harshly. I hope others also always take responsibility for their posts. Now, can we get on with the discussion?

..when the influence of the moon was recognised, it often formed a major part of pantheistic "religion". Some of the gods and goddesses were related with the moon or phases of the moon, and so demonstrating the belief that the moon, depending on it's phase, had certain properties/effects.

..back in those times, there was a general understanding that not only did the moon have an efect, but it had precise characteristics and effects both physical and metaphysical depending on the phase/position it was in.

..we observe that behavioral characteristics of certain animals can change according to the moons phase, and that it has a physical effect on tides. It seems we tend not to consider that it has any physical effect on the earths core or the atmosphere because we can't see or measure any change. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and logic suggests that it may indeed be the case, though to an unknown extent/effect as yet.

..It would certainly appear, apparently, that during such things as mass meditations, even simple human conciousness can have an effect on the zero-point field permeating the planet - NSFW!!: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/17/gl...oming_together/ - so who is to say that the moon itself doesn't have some influence on it, or perhaps something we simply haven't found yet? As ever, it may all be a matter of perspective as to what you see in it. plausibility is there though. It's not the same as evidence, but it's certainly a good enough reason to avoid dismissing the possibility out of hand though :)

Some very good points here, Crimsone.

"..we observe that behavioral characteristics of certain animals can change according to the moons phase, and that it has a physical effect on tides. It seems we tend not to consider that it has any physical effect on the earths core or the atmosphere because we can't see or measure any change. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and logic suggests that it may indeed be the case, though to an unknown extent/effect as yet".

Humans tend to see only what is in front of their nose, and trust the opinion of a "leader" rather than their own experience. The leader may be an entrepeneur and heartless slavetrader, but once identified as a special person he is still reverred. And if a silly scientist makes a silly statement, if he is famous enough even commonsense may not negate it. By any logic the moon must play a part in all of life, on the world outside our skins and our personal worlds inside. If it did not, then how are we so insulated from such huge gravitational and geoelectomagnetic effects? To only rely on "evidence" from instrumentation we have been thus far clever enough to invent, is only the tip of our world of gathered data. Instruments are only ever extensions of our 5 senses, so the senses themselves are still the best evidencers. We need to regard the moon outside of any religious/historical contention. Can we? That is the challenge of western climatologists. Frankly I don't see it possible.

Posted
Absolutely agreed. Once again, apologies to Lady P. I accept responsibility for reacting harshly. I hope others also always take responsibility for their posts. Now, can we get on with the discussion?

tks Ken I hope Lady P is happy with this, and I endorse the comments made a post or so above this about all keeping an open mind whether we agree or disagree with anyone elses' comments.

John

Posted

The moon is indeed an interesting subject matter. It is inbred within Western culture. The word derives from the Dutch (actually a descendant dialect of the Saxons and Franks) word 'maan' Clearly it's use in modern English is the obvious 'man' But more interestingly the plural, 'men' of which, of course, we derive woman (or 'of-man') probably comes from the prefix 'me-' or to measure. Obviously menstrual cycles, and phases of the moon (the first calendar was carved on an eagle's bone by cro-magnon man showed the phases, and timings of the moon) It is clear that when language was being formed we intimately identified with the moon both for self-recognition, and for reproduction.

Which brings me to another point. Without the tides, we would not be here. Now that's quite a statement, so I shall back track just a touch and explain. Evolution works by those fit in an environment being able to survive. So when we were fishes swimming around in the ocean, and oxygen was still a toxin of the greatest magnitude (it still is, which is why you hear people talk of anti-oxidants to prolong life) there was the odd occasion when one or two of the fishes would swim close to shore and then the tide went out. Most of the fishes would have perished, not be able to breathe air. But some, and only a very few, would have had the mutation necessary to metabolise and respirate oxygen. This, of course, has a massive advantage; if you're the only one able to flap around on land, then you do not have to worry about predators. Therefore land based life was 'forced' by the tides.

The moon, also, has had a negative aspect to us all as well. Being that the moon is about the same size as the apparent solar disc, it has also led us to believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth; which held us off the true nature of the solar system for millenia - although there is some evidence that the Sumerians knew of the nature of the universe. They constructed the mathematics to measure 'moon-events' and even used the moon to denote the twelve months (360 divide 28 is approx twelve - divide that by four, which the Sumerians did, and you've also got an approximation of PI) As a direct derivative of this they also create a numerical system (base 6) and used modulo arithmetic to perform what, even today, is quite tricky mathematics for the uninitiaed. Of course, English money used it's close cousin (base 12) right up until decimalisation as it makes complete sense and, in my opinion, decimalisation doesn't) 12 divides nicely into 2,3,4 and 6, whilst 100 divides evenly into 2, 5. So the ability to understand fractions is not needed for the majority of transactions which meant that the building a civilisation based on trade, and economics is far simpler.

The ancient Indians used the Sumerian (and Babylonian) ideas and they constructed the notion of zero which is now, as I speak entirely appropriate (using a computer) as everything we do, these days, is dictated by boolean logic (the premise of which your computer works on)

So the moon, whether or not it has influence on the weather, is a vital part of our history, our culture, and our language; I suspect, despite the attempt at surreptitious ridicule going on in this forum (and elsewhere) it is also, to some degree, a driver of the weather as well. Whatever that magnitude is, I do not know, but I do not think, in these times, where there is an irrational beleif that more computing power and better models (better scientists, or better programmers?) will solve the LRF problem that it is enough to dismiss a notion that may have, at the very least, a modicom of usefulness.

Edited by Geludiligo

Posted

My dear Mr Holmes... thank you. :)

Ken... I accept your apology.

You did indeed misunderstand me. And if you think I was having a tantrum; you are very much mistaken... I hadn't even got close, but I apologise if you thought my response inappropriate.

I think we are probably too different to each other for there to be any real understanding between us... not that this is a bad thing... where would we be if we were all alike and thought alike?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

SEARCH: use the box at the top right to search GQT

For me; it makes sense that something which has such a large influence on our planet in the form of tidal activity, must in some way have other influences too. Just because we do not know or understand, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or cannot be true. Perhaps if as a race, we weren't so isolated from nature and all its' cycles we would be more aware. The majority spend most of their days indoors in an artificially heated/lit environment so is it any wonder the acceptance/knowledge of the vagaries of our natural climate/planet is being lost and or ignored. When people depended upon the world around them to feed and sustain their families, that knowledge was vital, it made the difference between life and death. I'm not saying let's all go back to living in the dark ages, I like the convenience of modern life, but I do think we lose or ignore hundreds of years worth of worldwide knowledge of our planet, climate and all its' influences at our peril. The Moon's got to be in there somewhere.

I have never tried the following methods but lots of people swear by them.

Dr Nick Kollerstrom has made a study of lunar planting and he talked to Eric Robson, the GQT chairman, about his research.

Is there a scientific basis to support the lunar planting theory?

# Biodynamic farmers have been using the lunar calendar for the last half century. It's now a world-wide movement and their results in yields and rhythm of growth are worth taking account of.

# I believe that the moon affects all living things on earth, but I think it has a rather larger effect on plants than it does on us. Why does it work?

This is a mystery that modern science has hardly begun to look at. For example, why has the woman's reproductive system got an average cycle of 29 to 30 days, which is the same length as the lunar month? I think it's important for us, at this stage, just to accept that there do seem to be results, and we don't yet understand the mechanism.

How would you plan your planting?

You follow the moon's passage around the constellations of the Zodiac. So you'd sow root crops such as carrots and potatoes when the moon's in front of one of the earth constellations, Taurus, Virgo or Capricorn - and that happens about every nine days in the growing seasons.

John Harris, Head Gardener of Tresilian House Gardens, near Truro in Cornwall, swears by the technique and would never sow a seed without first checking the lunar calendar. Reporter Nina Davy talked to him about his gardening methods.

How long have you been following a lunar planting regime?

I started in the 1960s, but it's an ancient system. The Chinese, Greeks and Romans were guided by the moon. I find it very effective to time my sowing, planting and pruning by the moon. By applying fertiliser at the right time I can cut my fertiliser requirement by 50%. It's not folklore, it's practical knowledge that works. People call me the 'loony gardener' but I don't mind.

How does gardening by the moon actually work

# As well as controlling the tides the moon controls the moisture content in the soil. There are two periods: the waxing moon, which is the growing moon from new to full. That's when the moisture level in the soil is at it's highest and when you should do your planting.

# the waning moon which is from full to last quarter. That's when the moisture content is at its lowest and there's less sap rising in your trees and shrubs so it's when you should do your pruning.

Posted

If we are to focus on our close neighbour ,the moon, why shouldn't we also explore our Star? We all know that all life itself depends upon that in a way that needs no explanation but maybe life could also be extinguished, on occasion, by the solar workings.

Over on the Aurora thread there is a snippet from NASA explaining that the X40 event (yes X40, the largest ever measured to date) of last week may be the precursor of a very stormy solar cycle. The go on to explain the 24 solar cycle cycle (around 250yrs) with this being the most 'active' within that cycle.

That set me to thinking. The D/O events from the ice age had a 1500yr 'cycle' other cycles (3,000yr,4,500) divisible by 250 are also recognized within the paleo climatic record. So is the variance of solar output greater than we have currently measured (over very short periods i.e. a single solar cycle?) and the effects can be further augmented by an even longer cycle than the 24 solar cycles (around 500yrs) that ,at certain times depending upon the climate at that time, can have big influences on our climate. Maybe we are about to see exactly what a 'busy'/'stormy' time on the sun means to temp/conditions on our planet. Maybe a very bad time to have started warming the planet ourselves if we are to face a short term increase in solar output reflected in more radiation reaching earth (both because of the added 'heating' but also the fact that ,unlike normally, the heat will be trapped by the greenhouse effect jumping us towards numerous 'tipping points' especially on Greenland and the West Antarctic ice sheet).

Time alone will tell but we don't have long to wait to find out (over the next 11yrs in fact).

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

My thoughts exactly GW, how can something in our solar system kick out so much energy and not have an impact upon our planet and climate. It makes me cross that so many people dismiss the Sun in the global warming debate; how can they? Of concern also, are the following predicted much quieter two Solar Cycles. My understanding is that Solar cycles really are fairly accurately predicted with a known pattern and cycle; 25 and 26 are estimated to be on a par with those in the Dalton Minima, how will this impact upon Earth? Time will tell but my prediction is there are a few surprises up the sleeve for those who believe they have this climate science cracked, me thinks it might come back and bite them on the bum.

Posted
My thoughts exactly GW, how can something in our solar system kick out so much energy and not have an impact upon our planet and climate. It makes me cross that so many people dismiss the Sun in the global warming debate; how can they? Of concern also, are the following predicted much quieter two Solar Cycles. My understanding is that Solar cycles really are fairly accurately predicted with a known pattern and cycle; 25 and 26 are estimated to be on a par with those in the Dalton Minima, how will this impact upon Earth? Time will tell but my prediction is there are a few surprises up the sleeve for those who believe they have this climate science cracked, me thinks it might come back and bite them on the bum.

well if there is a 'cooling period' it'll probably just even out the warming trend, if it's added heat forcing..........well, goodbye northern ice pack,Greenland ice sheet and West Antarctic Ice sheet and hello mass displacement due to flooding, collapse of our finacial institutions and grain producing regions!......in fact, goodbye world as we know it.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

in fact, goodbye world as we know it.

I don't think so. How many times has that doomsday voice been heard, from the time of Moses until now. We have been through the naughty idol-worshippers, population explosion, acid rain, the oil "shortage", the Y2K bug, the Sars Virus, Bird Flu, Aids..all were going to wipe us out, but we have come out the other side unscathed. Has it ever struck anyone that the "Ice Age" of the 1970s accompanied the Cold War, and talk of it ended when the Berlin Wall came down, and "Global Warming" today accompanies the Hot War that is occurring in the Middle East and Iraq. When are we going to learn that entrepeneurial political systems that exist for greed control the minds of their populace? If there was massive money to be made out of global cooling, do you not think we would be all hearing about it? Already one billion dollars has been given out by the NZ government to climate scientists for research into a nonexistent problem. We are a tiny country, General Motors has a bigger GDP. We have poor children not being fed, crime rampant because of not enough police resourcing, homeless sleeping under bridges, and elderly who can't get into poorly funded hospitals. yet our government chooses to gamble carbon chips in the new casino. We have already lost $800,000,000 in the Kyoto Protocol farce. This is the world as we know it. Goodbye to this would be very welcome.

Posted
I don't think so. How many times has that doomsday voice been heard, from the time of Moses until now. We have been through the naughty idol-worshippers, population explosion, acid rain, the oil "shortage", the Y2K bug, the Sars Virus, Bird Flu, Aids..all were going to wipe us out, but we have come out the other side unscathed. Has it ever struck anyone that the "Ice Age" of the 1970s accompanied the Cold War, and talk of it ended when the Berlin Wall came down, and "Global Warming" today accompanies the Hot War that is occurring in the Middle East and Iraq. When are we going to learn that entrepeneurial political systems that exist for greed control the minds of their populace? If there was massive money to be made out of global cooling, do you not think we would be all hearing about it? Already one billion dollars has been given out by the NZ government to climate scientists for research into a nonexistent problem. We are a tiny country, General Motors has a bigger GDP. We have poor children not being fed, crime rampant because of not enough police resourcing, homeless sleeping under bridges, and elderly who can't get into poorly funded hospitals. yet our government chooses to gamble carbon chips in the new casino. We have already lost $800,000,000 in the Kyoto Protocol farce. This is the world as we know it. Goodbye to this would be very welcome.

As far as I'm aware H5N1 hasn't mutated to a human 2 human varient yet (though got close over summer in Indonesia) I note that the NZ P.M. told parliament that NZ was in no way prepared to meet a Bird Flu should the virus jump to a human transmittable form so you haven't 'dodged that bullet' yet!

The word derives from the Dutch (actually a descendant dialect of the Saxons and Franks) word 'maan'

Following gealach(moon) in Gaelic, one wonders, as Gala or Galata, was the original Moon-Mother of Gaelic and Gaulish tribes, whether "Gaelic" itself came from the word for Moon.

Then there's the old British Metra, Menos meant "Moon" and "power" to the Greeks, and the root word for both "moon" and "mind" is the Indo-European manas, mana, or men. So I would assume that the Dutch probably followed the Latin/Germanic line.

Following gealach(moon) in Gaelic, one wonders, as Gala or Galata, was the original Moon-Mother of Gaelic and Gaulish tribes, whether "Gaelic" itself came from the word for Moon.

Also, just occurred to me, perhaps "gealach" and "gala" lead to 'gravity'. Does anybody know?

Will have to look it up.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ah the Poltics of fear. I think theres something in it. Scientists need money for there grants to continue their research. They have to find something alarming to justify their research so they can go cap in hand to research councils etc. A report hat syas nothing is happening means end of the research and possibly no job. Politicians like this as they can use it to raise taxes to pay for wars etc or to pay for there own pay rise.

Certainly remember the panic last year over Bird Flu which has now gone quiet again. If you looked at the controls over foot and mouth outbreak we had they were laugthable. Workman working on closed paths. Horsing riding on them. Dried out disinfect troughs on paths that were open. Infact you could walk round most of these. A wonder if they got it under control at all. Anyway I'm drifting off subject sorry.

GW is probably 99% natural and 1% man made give a few percentage points. I'm all for cleaning up the enviroment as it makes a much nicer living place.

I've got to admit I'm hardly convinced about Mooncasting. I've seen other people use and score a few hits and have a few misses. However I've done a few monthly forecasts on my website and I probably score around 50%

I've got to admit I'm hardly convinced about Mooncasting.

You might do a little experiment, seeing fog has been in the news most lately as a severe weather event. Fog comes at any time, but more commonly this side of the full moon, more between first quarter to full moon, and most often at waxing gibbous, which coming up is 29 Dec onwards. Just look up "fog waxing gibbous" on Google and see how many refs come up. Do the same with all other phases and there seem to be less reports. Perhaps places most susceptible to winter fog may get foggier after 29th. If so, you may be more convinced.

• 4 weeks later...
..places most susceptible to winter fog may get foggier after 29th..

Perhaps more convincing, from this, written last year 6 weeks ago. From my winter report

http://www.predictweather.com/articles.asp?ID=39

.."in January's third week, rain again arrives mostly falling overnight. Some flooding is expected in low lying and coastal areas.."

May I repeat that I am only using the moon for this.

stay dry

ken Ring

www.predictweather.com