Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The winter of 1995-96

Weather-history

Posted
On 01/10/2021 at 15:26, Summer8906 said:

It depends on where you are, but here summer 1996 was considerably better than 2021!

A very hot spell at the start of June, then 10 days of sunny warm weather, a predominantly warm July (with 10 days notably sunny and hot) and a further week-long hot spell in August following a shorter hot spell early in the month. No prolonged cool, unsettled spells at all, most lasting only a week - the longest being at the very end of summer, perhaps the last 10 days of August.

Also spring did have some warm spells at times here, notably in late April when it got into the low 20s in two spikes, firstly an early warm thundery plume around the 21st, then following a cooldown, a more anticyclonic warm spell a week later.

1996 was definitely amongst the most interesting weather years of my lifetime, and one of those rare years in which we had something approaching a continental climate. In fact probably the only year when we've had a warm summer and significant cold at each end of the year.

Back to the winter, and I'm wondering how widespread the snowfall of early Feb was? I was in Bath at that time and did experience it, definitely amongst the top two snow events of the 90s (Feb 1991 being the other) but was it general across southern England?

1996 was indeed very continental year. Cold dry winter, cold spring, warm dry summer, chilly dry autumn and cold dry December.

Last time we had a continental year of sorts was 2010, the summer though not especially wet wasn't alas warm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

1996 was indeed very continental year. Cold dry winter, cold spring, warm dry summer, chilly dry autumn and cold dry December.

Last time we had a continental year of sorts was 2010, the summer though not especially wet wasn't alas warm.

Indeed - it is unfortunate that the most full-on Atlantic month of 2010 was August! June 2010 was very good, July 2010 was (here) warmish but rather cloudy, and August 2010 unsettled. If only August 2010 had been a warm, sunny month, then 2010 would have been a truly exceptional year.

Further back into history it appears 1969 was similar in many respects to 1996, though that also had a notably warm October, followed I think by a cold November.

Edited by Summer8906

• 1 year later...
Posted
13 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Newspaper photo montage from December 1995

I was too young to remember Dec 81, but very vivid memories of Dec 95, an excellent month all round. Not as much snow as Dec 09 and Dec 10, but every bit as cold as though two. The last week was sub freezing. The night of the 28th/29th was very very cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 24/11/2022 at 14:10, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

great winter! one of snowy days I remember

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Nature, Outdoors, Modern Art, Person

Dec 1995 was a story of what could have been..it was cold relatively snowy..yet the rest of the winter was a bit of a let down i have to say 

Posted
27 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Dec 1995 was a story of what could have been..it was cold relatively snowy..yet the rest of the winter was a bit of a let down i have to say 

It was an episodic winter, akin to 2012-13 and 2008-2009 in many respects. There was a very mild dull wet first two thirds to January, but the period 21 Jan - 9 Feb was notably wintry, we had 18 inches of snow 5/6th Feb not bettered since. The rest of February brought milder then colder conditions, and the cold hung on through March, indeed Spring was notably cold.

I would rate it here the coldest and snowiest winter between 85-86 and 08-09.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Missed it I was in South Africa though family said it was epic 

Posted
On 24/11/2022 at 21:10, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

great winter! one of snowy days I remember

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Nature, Outdoors, Modern Art, Person

That's the day of the forecast snowy breakdown, which turned out to be a freezing rain event in the south!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

December was not good for snow down here - some light snow showers from the early easterly and a few flurries between Christmas and NY. Of note, though, was the depth of cold in the final week and the rare freezing rain event (that was forecast as snow) on the 30th.

January and February, however were better in the snow department, firstly from an easterly around the 25th/26th and then the notable snow from the west on the 05th-07th Feb.

• Like 2

Posted

Great easterly in january..

Light snow even on this day with mild upper air..

Temps below 0..

Just seeing whats coming next week later with upper air,ok this is later in january when the continent is much colder.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Art

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
13 hours ago, Don said:

That's the day of the forecast snowy breakdown, which turned out to be a freezing rain event in the south!

Snowy breakdowns that we dont get nowadays!

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
On 25/11/2022 at 23:18, Don said:

On 25/11/2022 at 23:26, MP-R said:

December was not good for snow down here - some light snow showers from the early easterly and a few flurries between Christmas and NY. Of note, though, was the depth of cold in the final week and the rare freezing rain event (that was forecast as snow) on the 30th.

January and February, however were better in the snow department, firstly from an easterly around the 25th/26th and then the notable snow from the west on the 05th-07th Feb.

10 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

...with disastrous results on the motorways from the south to the midlands, as I found out!

Posted
On 26/11/2022 at 12:58, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Snowy breakdowns that we dont get nowadays!

Don't get much 'snowy' anything nowadays! 😜

21 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

...with disastrous results on the motorways from the south to the midlands, as I found out!

And on the footpaths!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I was born in Dec 95 and got out of hospital around xmas, very snowy photos with the long drive up to the elevated farm house inaccessible to even a 4x4 and my dad wrapping me up in numerous coats. 

Again photos I think from Feb 96, a snowfall which  @damianslaw refers to. Built an igloo with all the snow and the snow was touching the stomachs of the ponies in the yard. I suspect given the elevation (about 200m asl) we’ll have seen a similar depth to the 18 inches described, maybe a bit more.

I no longer live at any elevation, the only recent snowfall which comes close to that was the big battleground snowfall of March 2013, a cracker. 
Been sadly very rare here during my lifetime.

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

February 5th/6th

Telegraph 

Could contain: Page, Text, Person, NewspaperCould contain: Page, Text, Newspaper, Plan, Plot, Diagram, Chart

Liverpool Echo

Could contain: Publication, Person, Text, Newspaper, Face, HeadCould contain: Newspaper, Text, Person, Handbag, Bag, Accessories, Publication, QR CodeCould contain: Newspaper, Text, Car, Vehicle, Person, Man, Adult, Male, Baby, ShovelCould contain: Newspaper, Text, Person, Shovel, Tool, Device, Snowman, Winter, Snow, OutdoorsCould contain: Newspaper, Text, Car, Vehicle, Person, Wheel, Machine, Traffic Light, Light, QR CodeCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Person, Snow, Face, Head, IglooCould contain: Newspaper, Text, Car, Vehicle, Transportation

Runcorn

Could contain: Publication, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Text, Magazine, TabloidCould contain: Page, Text, Advertisement, Poster

Accrington

Could contain: Newspaper, Text, Person, Bride, Woman, Adult, Female, Wedding, Face, HeadCould contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Publication, Car, Woman, Female, Dog, Text

Ormskirk

Could contain: Newspaper, Text, Person, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Building, Architecture

Crosby

Could contain: Newspaper, Text, Person, Baby, Face, HeadCould contain: Text, Newspaper, Book, Publication, Page

Southport

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Person, Man, Adult, Male, Snow, Baby, Face, Shoe

Going to create a thread now dedicated to this superb event!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Posted

Winter 95-96 the second best winter overall since 81/82 for snow in the Lake District. Winter 09-10 just edges it out for persistance of the cold which allowed for snow to stick for weeks and weeks - although amounts were less overall in that winter.

Winter 95-96 was episodic, December was excellent, after a brief mild start it became cold on the 5th with a biting easterly, and stayed cold preety much rest of the month bar a brief incursion of mild air around the 21-22nd. There wasn't much snow here, but alot of frost, and the last week brought freezing conditions and our coldest temps in December since 1981 up until 2010.

The only let down was the first 3 weeks of Jan which were mild dull and wet, the rest of the winter from the 21st Jan was generally cold, sometimes very cold, sometimes more near average and snow featured in abundance, 5 inches on the 27th Jan, and then the mega 18 inches 5/6 Feb, further snowfalls later in Feb as well around the 18th. The cold held in situ through much of March with more snow, further snow in April, and a very cold frosty May. Indeed 1995 and 1996 probably my two favourite years weatherwise, 2010 being a close third - let down by a poor cool summer.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Winter 95-96 the second best winter overall since 81/82 for snow in the Lake District.

1995/96 was probably the most disappointing, frustrating winter in my lifetime!  Was so envious seeing many places having deep snow on the news, when there was next to nothing IMBY!!  December 1996/January 1997 was just as bad!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Decent winter. I remember there being quite a bit of snow and the roads full of slush as I picked up my game for my Sega mega drive. Was around late December 95 in between Xmas and new year when they reopened for a few days, that shop is now something else and not games related. And in the February playing football (or attempting to! as the ball kept getting stuck underneath the snow) with my mates after school. Where has time gone? 

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

1995/96 was probably the most disappointing, frustrating winter in my lifetime!  Was so envious seeing many places having deep snow on the news, when there was next to nothing IMBY!!  December 1996/January 1997 was just as bad!

Yes from a east midlands, SE England and East Anglia perspective it will have been frustrating despite being a very easterly winter, but there was widespread snowfall in these parts in all winter months, 5-6 Dec, 24-26 Jan and 18-20 Feb, just not large totals unlike places further north.

Posted
21 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes from a east midlands, SE England and East Anglia perspective it will have been frustrating despite being a very easterly winter, but there was widespread snowfall in these parts in all winter months, 5-6 Dec, 24-26 Jan and 18-20 Feb, just not large totals unlike places further north.

Those areas you mention did indeed have widespread snow, but my location never had more than a cm or so at one time!  However, areas only short distances to the north, south, east and west of me had significantly more snow, now that WAS frustrating!!