Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Carinthians latest Arctic reports

carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Hello again,

The boss Paul has recently been in touch with me and has asked for the thread to be back up and running again. Paul is obviously a very busy guy promoting NetweatherTV to stay the best site in its field and informs me that he will personally keep an eye on things so that reasonable debate continues and that disruptive posts will no longer be tollerated.

I have had good messages of support to keep the thread alive, not only from our leader but from numerous forum member, particularly from John Cox, a real stalwart, Steve Murr, Mr Maunder, Viking 141,beng, Paul Carfoot, Phantom Forecaster , Jethro, oso, Jackone and not least Tamara ( now is the time to come back SP) and many other friends of the "frozen North ".

The reports I produce are based on a combination of years of experience,satellite images, land based Arctic Rim, Coastal guard, plane- helicopter surveillance , ice breaker reports and a wealth of superb information provided by buddies at the DMI climat department.

The object of these reports is to provide the very latest updates and descriptive analysis and explanatory where possible, however,when controversial topics arise it is not always possible to give consideration to all views held and I will not been drawn into justifying my reports, as the fun will again be taken away.

Enjoy the reports that follow my friends and have fun posting !

Sorry about the long winded post, but things just had to be said.

Cheers

C

Posted
It's off topic, but: 1 - welcome back; and 2 - you ARE Steve Murr! I knew it.

Thanks,

I wish I was the same age as Steve Murr.

C

Posted

Also off topic but i for one are glad to see you back Carinthian, i may not post on your threads but i find them a great read :) thanks for coming back :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

A warm welcome back Carinth (looks like some of that Arctic weather is heading our way for Friday) sub 528 Dam over Ireland and Scotland

Edited by John Cox

Posted
Also off topic but i for one are glad to see you back Carinthian, i may not post on your threads but i find them a great read :) thanks for coming back :)

thanks tugmistress,

I will be looking out for your great reports when that Arctic front does eventually reach the outer northern edges of the kingdom.

C

A warm welcome back Carinth (looks like some of that Arctic weather is heading our way for Friday) sub 528 Dam over Ireland and Scotland

Thanks for all your support JC. You are star forum member.

C

So where's the latest report then???!!!

Good to see this thread resurrected, Carinthian :)

smich

hI smich, Thanks , on its way soon !

c

C.

Still lurking here in Hale.

Great to see you back, you have no reason to appologise whatsoever.

Hi Cheshire cat and thanks.

Last time I spoke to you it was snowing in "posh " Hale

C

Posted

I have never posted on these threads as my knowledge is non-existant apart from what I can gather from here.

However, I must welcome you back too Carinthian as I have always enjoyed your posts, and felt a sense of loss when I understood you had left.

I look forward to reading more of your wonderful reports.

Posted
I have never posted on these threads as my knowledge is non-existant apart from what I can gather from here.

However, I must welcome you back too Carinthian as I have always enjoyed your posts, and felt a sense of loss when I understood you had left.

hI Chilly Milly,

Nice words there.Never be put off from making a post. If you need any explainations ,there are many friendly experts posting on this thread.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I can only echo what others have said C, it's nice to see you back. I, like CM, feel that my knowledge is insufficient for posting in many of the technical threads but I always read this one with interest regardless.

Posted
I can only echo what others have said C, it's nice to see you back. I, like CM, feel that my knowledge is insufficient for posting in many of the technical threads but I always read this one with interest regardless.

Thanks Phil and Somerset Squall,

Simple up- date to follow. I will expect Steve Murr to produce any graphics needed of this thread , that lads good at that sort of thing.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Ditto what tm has said above. C, your reports have been one of the first thread's I've looked at recently. I find the related debate of how arctic conditions affect the UK very interesting. Like others, not posted a great deal lately, but wanted to add my thanks for your very valuable posts. :)

Posted

Very much agreed! ( No need to reply C, just missed your updates and v pleased to see you again)

Daisy

Edited by Daisy

Posted

I am lurker as well carinth but I must admit I was gutted when you took the thread down. Really glad to have you and it back on netweather. Always very informative stuff.

Sorry about being off topic. I am off to lurk again now. :)

Posted

Latest Report as 14/11/06

Its nice to be back reporting. The intense cold that has developed over the past few weeks over Greenland now shows signs of pushing southwards. A very cold pool of air has pushed into the Iceland Basin, -10C in Jan Mayen and -18C in Svalbard, both about 5C below the mid - November average. What a comparison to the prolonged Autumn warmth affecting much of Europe !

Often in this situation and what we call in the trade, a strong longwave trough develops to the west of the British Isles and the dividing line is along the jet windfield which moves tropical airmass thousands of miles polewards out N. Africa and the tropics, whilst on the other hand airmass from the frozen north is pushed well south into the Atlantic Ocean. It now appears we are in the longitudal battle ground over this coming week.

The rate of new ice formation has reached its peak. It now takes longer for renewed formation where the ocean is deeper and warmer ( N. Atlantic drift influence ) however, the three major cold pools are now well established over Greenland, Northern Siberia and Alaska and intense cold will soon advance the polar ice edge, slowly but surely further southwards.

Web cam shots will show that the polar ice edge has now made landfall onto Point Barrow in the Canadian Sector.

In the longer term, the Greenland cold spell looks like it may ease, whilst no zonality and maritime influences in Russia may give rise to the "beast from the east."

C

Posted
Ditto what tm has said above. C, your reports have been one of the first thread's I've looked at recently. I find the related debate of how arctic conditions affect the UK very interesting. Like others, not posted a great deal lately, but wanted to add my thanks for your very valuable posts. :)

hI Snowdrifter,

Thanks , glad you find it interesting. Is that you with skiis in the picture ? Surely not in St Annes !

C

I am lurker as well carinth but I must admit I was gutted when you took the thread down. Really glad to have you and it back on netweather. Always very informative stuff.

Sorry about being off topic. I am off to lurk again now. :)

Hi Daisy and Snowhope,

Thanks.

C

Posted

I too post infrequently.

However I thoroughly enjoy this thread.

I am enchanted by what I see as I peer out of a plane window at various points in the year en route to North America and back.

Really happy to see you back!

Posted

Welcome Back C :D

I love reading your Arctic Updates truely a fascinating read and very enjoyable. Keep up the great work !!!

Edited by Snow Bringer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
Welcome Back C :D

I love reading your Arctic Updates truely a fascinating read and very enjoyable. Keep up the great work !!!

As above, welcome back!

Posted
Welcome back Carinthian :D I dont know too much about the goings on of weather patterns and trends and such but always enjoy your posts :)

Welcome BlackHoleSun,

Play a tune on that guitar of yours for my mate John Cox. I think he may be a Wicklowman 1

C

As above, welcome back!

thanks Snowbringer and Jethro.

Cheers

C

I too post infrequently.

However I thoroughly enjoy this thread.

I am enchanted by what I see as I peer out of a plane window at various points in the year en route to North America and back.

Really happy to see you back!

hI SSH,

Perhaps its time to send some posts and contribute. There will always be a friendly and informative response.

Glad you enjoy the tread. Should get better now.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Hi Carinthian,

You mention in your very interesting post about some webcams in Canada do you have a link?

Tribe

Edited by Tribe3000

Posted
Hi Carinthian,

You mention in your very interesting post about some webcams in Canada do you have a link?

Tribe

Hi ,

Kippure usually posts a link to the Barrow Sea Ice web -cam. I will contact him, or can anyone eles provide a post link ? Will get it for you.

C