Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Carinthians latest Arctic reports

carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
Two interesting Arctic features taking place now.

The Greenland Summit has today broken the all time November low (-60C thats an amazing-77f ) So cold pool is building again up there.

The frightful purga of NE Siberia has raised its head. The purga of the tundras, that brings danger to man and beast.These storms bring blinding heavy snowfall, zero visiblity and deep drifts. Though temperatures are not specially low the cold is keenly felt. People have known to disappear in these conditions. These moist laden winds bring hours on end of descending snow and further into the interior storms can develop into blizzards of some violence.

C

hI,

Has been confirmed by DMI that the temp did fall as low as -61C, -78F in old money earlier this morning, beating the old November record. The max today so fas has reached the dizzy heights of -55C under calm conditions. The cold pool is now extending over Greenland.

C

Posted
hI,

Has been confirmed by DMI that the temp did fall as low as -61C, -78F in old money earlier this morning, beating the old November record. The max today so fas has reached the dizzy heights of -55C under calm conditions. The cold pool is now extending over Greenland.

C

Evening,

In contrast to the above report, the significant amount of open sea in the North Barent is having a profound effect on surface temperaturs in Svalbard and Franz Josef land. Average temps are currently running nearly +10C above normal. A cold start to the month with above average sea ice has been followed by an amazing "warm" spell with a fast reduction of young ice formation, currently 20% below this time last year. I have never seen temps as high as this at this time of year in this location. A real worry now .

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi C,

I was looking at the webcams for this area this morning.

The snow still seemed to be intact.

What sort of temps do they now have?

Posted
Hi C,

I was looking at the webcams for this area this morning.

The snow still seemed to be intact.

What sort of temps do they now have?

hI jOHN,

At this time of year middle temps should be around -12C generally in Svalbard. Currently around -5C in the North and 0C in the south. Has actually turned a bit colder today. Polar ice edge is currently retreating from Franz Josef Land with open water well into the Arctic Ocean. Other sectors in the Arctic are on parr to the so called average and in catch up phase, particularly in the Canadian zones.

C

Posted

Hi C,

Its like as if you live there or have visited the region today.

I dont know how you report it the way you do.

Contacts, Contacts, contacts??

Edited by John Cox

Posted

Hi C,

Its like as if you live there or have visited the region today.

I dont know how you report it the way you do.

Contacts, Contacts, contacts??

[/quote

Hello John,

Put it down to ECO.

Experience, contacts and observation, but more importantly the Arctic is in my blood. I am in awe of the place to the point of obsession if you can understand what I mean.

C

Posted

Absolutely,

If I was not a married guy with 3 children I would be visiting places like Svalbard.

I would even settle for a villa in any mountain place in Europe during winter.

Thanks for your continued reports.

Posted

Does the velocity of the gulf stream play a significant part in sea ice formation?

gszl7.jpg

Mercator

It's like someone will flick a switch.

SSTs in the North East Atlantic have been chill so the current fast drift SE of Greenland has probably not melted the sea ice with it's warm water transport. Might it effect synoptics, though?

Posted
Evening,

In contrast to the above report, the significant amount of open sea in the North Barent is having a profound effect on surface temperaturs in Svalbard and Franz Josef land. Average temps are currently running nearly +10C above normal. A cold start to the month with above average sea ice has been followed by an amazing "warm" spell with a fast reduction of young ice formation, currently 20% below this time last year. I have never seen temps as high as this at this time of year in this location. A real worry now .

C

hELLO,

More bad news .The warmth has pushed into the high Arctic zone above 80N ( Arctic Basin ) Some of temperatures in the North Islands are currently in the region of +20C above the late November average. This is in the location of the North Barent, North Kara Sea and into the Basin itself.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

that is a huge anomaly. how unusual is that?

Posted
Hi Carinthian

It is a real blow that the projected build of the Siberian High westwards, which would have arrested the recent warming in the regions you mention, has been curtailed by this wretched broad TM flow. Everything we didn't want and after such a good start too. However, there is time on our sides to turn thigs around - lets hope that this atlantic phase blows itself out with better upstream signals arriving for a colder pattern change asap.

Tamara

hI Tamara,

Lots of time yet for a correction. However , the recent synoptic pattern does not bode well for a forthcoming cold spell, not only here but through the whole of Europe. By Mid- December we will know if its time to deliver or just accept that another snowless winter is likely to pass by and then the days soon start to get longer..

Hell, we need our spirits to be lifted !

PS. Looking at todays charts, I think the best solution is to forget and go to the pub, which of course I will do.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
hI Tamara,

Lots of time yet for a correction. However , the recent synoptic pattern does not bode well for a forthcoming cold spell, not only here but through the whole of Europe. By Mid- December we will know if its time to deliver or just accept that another snowless winter is likely to pass by and then the days soon start to get longer..

Hell, we need our spirits to be lifted !

PS. Looking at todays charts, I think the best solution is to forget and go to the pub, which of course I will do.

C

Forget Dec it will not deliver.

BFTP

Posted

Evening,

Just looking at the very latest mean temps this month in Greenland. What a change around in the North. The first 15 days were showing below average temps up there , but at present average temps against the 1961-90 mean ( the cold era ) are likely to be +5C above that mean.

However , in the SW a prolonged feed off the interior this month into the Atlantic will produce below average temps of about -2C from the normal. This following a mild start in this section. I suppose its all about swings and round abouts. Our turn surely before Christmas ? I will bet on it.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Hi Carinthian,

Hope you and the mods don't mind, but me and my girlfriend are of to Austria, or more precise Niederau on the 5th December.

We are not skiing, but doing the Christmas markets. We would like to know if you have any idea what the weather is like and also what the area is like.

Steve.

Posted
Hi Carinthian,

Hope you and the mods don't mind, but me and my girlfriend are of to Austria, or more precise Niederau on the 5th December.

We are not skiing, but doing the Christmas markets. We would like to know if you have any idea what the weather is like and also what the area is like.

Steve.

hi Steve,

The only Tirolean village I have stayed out is Alpach, which is in the next valley to where you are visiting. Alpach is an absolute gem of a place. My wife goes out at this time of year just to visit the Christmas Markets and just loves the atmosphere. Hope it snows for you. Some colder air may tuck into the Eastern Alps by then. Anyway ,I am sure you will have fun.

C

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
Evening,

Just looking at the very latest mean temps this month in Greenland. What a change around in the North. The first 15 days were showing below average temps up there , but at present average temps against the 1961-90 mean ( the cold era ) are likely to be +5C above that mean.

However , in the SW a prolonged feed off the interior this month into the Atlantic will produce below average temps of about -2C from the normal. This following a mild start in this section. I suppose its all about swings and round abouts. Our turn surely before Christmas ? I will bet on it.

C

Thanks for the update carinthian, not much to write home about from my end at the mo, but always find your updates of great value, whether cold ar warm, as you say the change will happen, it's just a matter of when. :D

Paul

Edited by Paul Carfoot

Posted
Thanks for the update carinthian, not much to write home about from my end at the mo, but always find your updates of great value, whether cold ar warm, as you say the change will happen, it's just a matter of when. :D

Paul

Morning Paul,

The only crumb of comfort is that all of Europe is in the same "warmth mode" Have you read Nordic Snowmans Report on Norwgian warmth ?

Cheers

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
Morning Paul,

The only crumb of comfort is that all of Europe is in the same "warmth mode" Have you read Nordic Snowmans Report on Norwgian warmth ?

Cheers

C

Morning carinthian,

no i haven't, but will later on, as going to work shortly, thanks it should be an interesting read.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
hi Steve,

The only Tirolean village I have stayed out is Alpach, which is in the next valley to where you are visiting. Alpach is an absolute gem of a place. My wife goes out at this time of year just to visit the Christmas Markets and just loves the atmosphere. Hope it snows for you. Some colder air may tuck into the Eastern Alps by then. Anyway ,I am sure you will have fun.

C

Thanks for that Carinthian. I hope it does snow, we will be so gutted if we miss it.

Posted

Hi All

Just been looking at the state of play in Finnish Lapland, it is looking very sad at the moment almost the whole of Finland is above freezing and the melt has set in big time... luckily later in the week the series of days getting above freezing comes to an end, but that beautiful snow base has been badly erroded.

Lets hope it can back again just as quickly

Cheers

FC

Posted
Hi All

Just been looking at the state of play in Finnish Lapland, it is looking very sad at the moment almost the whole of Finland is above freezing and the melt has set in big time... luckily later in the week the series of days getting above freezing comes to an end, but that beautiful snow base has been badly erroded.

Lets hope it can back again just as quickly

Cheers

FC

hELLO FC,

Sad state of afairs, even more so for those folk who have splashed out thousands of pounds to fly out with their little darlings just to see Santa in a real snow grotto. Better of going to Hamleys to see the great man !

C

Posted

I note from the cryosphere site the develpoment of a large hole (polyna) to the north of Franz Jozef in the arctic basin.

This is an unusual event in itself but I thought such a development would be impossible at this time of the year. It may just be a a quirk of the cryosphere system but I'd be interested to hear anyones views.

I think this unfortunately ties in with the exceptionally mild weather recently seen in that area and also close to the Svalbard region.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Norway/Spitzbergen.htm shows the temperature history in this area and It does not make pleasent reading, at least the forecast is looking a little colder.

Posted
hELLO FC,

Sad state of afairs, even more so for those folk who have splashed out thousands of pounds to fly out with their little darlings just to see Santa in a real snow grotto. Better of going to Hamleys to see the great man !

C

They had the same last year. I took the kids on the 22nd and have to say that by a margin it was the coldest experience I have ever had; -22C, though mercifully dead calm. Eerie and beautiful though. The rep was telling me that it had only got cold (by Finnish norms) the week previously, and that early in the winter there had been little if any snow.