Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Does nature play catch-up

Posted

After the South East and East has had its driest spell of weather since records began it certainly seems as though were playing catch up. Since August rainfall has been above average and at the moment torrential rain has been falling all morning. Some water usage bans have been lifted and I was wondering how long it will be before the water tables are back to normal as I think November rainfall totals will be way above average and the charts are suggesting the wettest spell of weather for at least two years. :blink:

Hi Charlton north-downs. Yes I do mostly think it plays catch up actually, but it can take time. I still remember the summer 1976 tabloid headlines 'the Dry years are here to stay' ... then came the August bank holiday and that was the end of that. Likewise, after the winter of 1962-3 there were serious reports in the papers about whether permafrost would start remaining in Britain all year. The exception to this is if there are genuine trends, and I do think for example that GW is real, and is going to continue to impact on local scenarios.

But to come back to the gist of your post, are you sure you're right about rainfall? At the moment rainfall for November is woefully down at 43% of the norm in the central England area. http://www.climate-uk.com/graphs/0611.htm

We need everything we can get for a fair bit yet!

Posted

Hi West

Thanks for your reply. Must say Iam surprised at rainfall totals for November and really should of checked , as I normally view the BBC monthly reports August/ October above average

September average.

Lets hope November reaches the above average mark as we still need more rain although I would love a cold spell with a bit of snow and frosty nights . In all my years of weather watching November has usually been a mild month so people expecting cold should not be to disappointed at the moment.

regards charlton north-downs.