Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

December 1981-January 1982

Weather-history

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

You only had light dustings in January 2010?  What about on the 6th, I had around 8 inches of snow only 30 odd miles from Central London?

It was a covering in a notable sense, and the streets were covered, but it was only a few cms, and was a bit patchy.

The one thing I noticed about the winters of 2008/09 until early 2013 was, we had snowfall and settling snow during every winter in central London, even during the milder winter of 2011/12, we managed an evening of steady snowfall and it settled.

Something the 1985-87 classic winters didn’t do in central London, despite being cold. 

February 2009 and December 2010 were by far the best snowfalls I saw since February 1994 and February 1991. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Don said:

You only had light dustings in January 2010?  What about on the 6th, I had around 8 inches of snow only 30 odd miles from Central London?

Yeah, I remember taking a train out of London up to Milton Keynes, and it was indeed much snowier everywhere else, even places like Hampstead and Highgate had thick snow in January 2010, but where I was in central was mostly very cold and dry with patchy snow.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Remember Christmas Day 88 and 89 being mild and cloudy. 90 was cold and wet and Christmas 91 was dry cloudy and cold. 

I clearly remember Christmas Day 1988 being very mild as I received a digital thermometer as a present as it was showing temps of 13C!

I'm lucky enough to just about remember winter 81/82 and had snow on the ground Christmas day!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

I clearly remember Christmas Day 1988 being very mild as I received a digital thermometer as a present as it was showing temps of 13C!

I'm lucky enough to just about remember winter 81/82 and had snow on the ground Christmas day!

Christmas Day 1988 was dull and very mild, similar to 2015 in some respects.

I didn’t really take much notice at the time, as I was 12 and more concerned about eating my Christmas pudding and watching a Lost in Space episode where Doctor Smith ends up meeting the devil lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 hours ago, Don said:

The hardest hit areas on the 5th/6th Jan 2010 were just to the west/SW of London, although even in E/NE London we had a few inches. I remember places like Basingstoke got hammered. 

Posted
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It was a covering in a notable sense, and the streets were covered, but it was only a few cms, and was a bit patchy.

The one thing I noticed about the winters of 2008/09 until early 2013 was, we had snowfall and settling snow during every winter in central London, even during the milder winter of 2011/12, we managed an evening of steady snowfall and it settled.

Something the 1985-87 classic winters didn’t do in central London, despite being cold. 

February 2009 and December 2010 were by far the best snowfalls I saw since February 1994 and February 1991. 

Yes the run of winters from 2008/09 to 2012/13 were notable that even central London had some big snowfall events: Feb 2009, December 2009, Jan 2010, end Nov/early Dec 2010, mid December 2010, Feb 2012, Jan and Feb 2013. Since then though, we've not had much. The BFTE in March 2018 was good but snow depths weren't amazing. Feb 2021 had several days of snowfall, but again snow depths weren't amazing either. We've also had many snowless winters since 2013. 

Posted
11 hours ago, danm said:

The hardest hit areas on the 5th/6th Jan 2010 were just to the west/SW of London, although even in E/NE London we had a few inches. I remember places like Basingstoke got hammered. 

That's correct.  Where I lived near Aldershot (30 odd miles south west of London) there was 8 or 9 inches of snow on the 6th, but I believe towns not far west of me like Fleet had as much as 13 or 14 inches!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
On 03/11/2022 at 22:47, Sunny76 said:

Maybe, but mid December 2010 was very cold and that weekend before Christmas was very heavy snowfall in central London. 

It was better than the previous winter of 2009/10, which was cold, but only gave light dustings of snow in January 2010, despite the cold conditions.

February 2009 probably last longer by an extra day or so. 

Even a return to a 2009 or 2010 would be great. Seems like ages ago.

I guess it is very different for you in London than here in the Pennines,it will be exceptionally rare for anywhere in Greater London to see a snowdrift but yes for you December 2010 would have been a great month.Not criticising yourself but many people talk about January and December 2010 as though they are the same Winter.Yes it is the same year but it is two separate winters.

Posted
On 03/11/2022 at 23:22, Sunny76 said:

Christmas Day 1988 was dull and very mild, similar to 2015 in some respects.

I didn’t really take much notice at the time, as I was 12 and more concerned about eating my Christmas pudding and watching a Lost in Space episode where Doctor Smith ends up meeting the devil lol.

I was 10, remember most christmas days of my childhood as snowless, no christmas card scene at all, 1982- 1992, aged 4 to 14. Not one of them! 

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

I was 10, remember most christmas days of my childhood as snowless, no christmas card scene at all, 1982- 1992, aged 4 to 14. Not one of them! 

The only two Christmas days I remember in my 46 years with snow on the ground are 1981 and 2010 and these did not count as white Christmases as snow did not actually fall from the sky!  Will 2022 be the year I see an official white Christmas for the first time?!

Edited by Don

Posted

10th and 11th December 1981:

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted

8th Jan 1982:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 04/11/2022 at 00:17, Don said:

The 80s/early 90s period seemed to have alternating Christmas Days. Even years wet and mostly mild, and odd years mild but dry. This pattern prevailed, I think, from 1983 to 1991.

At least, I am fairly sure Christmas Day 1988 was somewhat wet (drizzle / light rain). That said it was a very anticyclonic (westerly) month so there must have been a temporary frontal incursion.

On 04/11/2022 at 00:17, Don said:

I think there was patchy snow where I was in Sussex, though I do remember a very big snow event earlier in December, and clearly remember the epic snow of Sat Jan 9th 1982. It was a rare Christmas Day of bright sunshine, I actually remember the brightness of the day as being unusual. As I was still of primary-school age, it's conceivable I hadn't experienced any similarly sunny Christmas Days before 1981.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 05/11/2022 at 01:42, Don said:

The only two Christmas days I remember in my 46 years with snow on the ground are 1981 and 2010 and these did not count as white Christmases as snow did not actually fall from the sky!  Will 2022 be the year I see an official white Christmas for the first time?!

You're doing well to remember 1981 given your age! 🙂

I have no memory at all of the equivalent Christmas for me, which was sometime in the mid-70s. Earliest Christmas Day I do remember, vaguely, was 1978 (wet, cold).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
On 05/11/2022 at 00:40, damianslaw said:

1992 was at least seasonal where I was, first seasonal Christmas Day since 1981. There was a very memorable sunny and frosty Christmas period that year, though it did eventually turn foggy by the time we got to the new year.

That was the year when the unbroken run of wet/damp Christmas Days in even years since at least 1984 came to an emphatic end.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 04/11/2022 at 00:08, Sunny76 said:

Amazed at that given how those winters were in the SW Surrey/NW Sussex area.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

You're doing well to remember 1981 given your age! 🙂

I have no memory at all of the equivalent Christmas for me, which was sometime in the mid-70s. Earliest Christmas Day I do remember, vaguely, was 1978 (wet, cold).

I only remember 1981/82 due to the snow and had it been non-descript I doubt I would have any memory of it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
On 03/11/2022 at 23:08, Sunny76 said:

You sure Jan 87 didn't have settling snow in  central London???

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
9 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

1992 was at least seasonal where I was, first seasonal Christmas Day since 1981. There was a very memorable sunny and frosty Christmas period that year, though it did eventually turn foggy by the time we got to the new year.

That was the year when the unbroken run of wet/damp Christmas Days in even years since at least 1984 came to an emphatic end.

Yes 1992 was cold and frosty and very foggy, but not snowy. It was seasonal at least. 1985 turned cold and wintry Boxing Day, think we had some snow and stayed cold until New Year. 

However, after 1981 the next christmas day with snow on the ground was 1993. 

Posted
3 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Central London did have settling snow in Jan ‘87:

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 04/11/2022 at 23:17, hillbilly said:

I guess it is very different for you in London than here in the Pennines,it will be exceptionally rare for anywhere in Greater London to see a snowdrift but yes for you December 2010 would have been a great month.Not criticising yourself but many people talk about January and December 2010 as though they are the same Winter.Yes it is the same year but it is two separate winters.

I don’t. I preferred 2010/11 compared to 2009/10, although 09/10 was a colder one for longer and had more cold sunny days, it had less snow in the south where I was.

Posted
3 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes 1987 did,  it but the sorry excuse of 1986 and 85 should hang their heads in shame. They didn’t give my neck of the woods any snow, although it was cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes 1987 did,  it but the sorry excuse of 1986 and 85 should hang their heads in shame. They didn’t give my neck of the woods any snow, although it was cold.

I'm surprised you didn't have snow in January or February 1985?

Posted
44 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Not in Chelsea, central London. If so, I just don’t remember it. 

Where I was in North West Surrey there was a snowfall on the 5th January giving a few inches which stayed on the ground for two weeks and then a heavier fall around the 8th/9th February which lasted more than a week.