Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Freezing rain 40`s to the 80`s

Snowyowl9

Posted

A question has anyone seen freezing rain events?

And does anybody know when mid-Wales had a freezing rain event during 1978 I think?

I do remember that weather on TV that morning showing the effected area of freezing rain.

I don`t know which month it only lasted a day but the trees were all ice and roads were impossible to travel I`ll always remember that day,it did thaw slightly in the daytime,and little bits of snow under the ice,then it refroze the next night. :rolleyes:

It`s always fascinated me and more memorable than snow as it`s rare.

1947 was the most severe ice storm ever that I`ve heard about the trees had such a battering 3inches of ice from heavy rain falling onto well below frozen surfaces that`s from people close by said was the worst part of that winter,and never want to see anything like that again.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
A question has anyone seen freezing rain events?

And does anybody know when mid-Wales had a freezing rain event during 1978 I think?

I do remember that weather on TV that morning showing the effected area of freezing rain.

I don`t know which month it only lasted a day but the trees were all ice and roads were impossible to travel I`ll always remember that day,it did thaw slightly in the daytime,and little bits of snow under the ice,then it refroze the next night. ;)

It`s always fascinated me and more memorable than snow as it`s rare.

1947 was the most severe ice storm ever that I`ve heard about the trees had such a battering 3inches of ice from heavy rain falling onto well below frozen surfaces that`s from people close by said was the worst part of that winter,and never want to see anything like that again.

Late January 1996, about 23rd or 24th. In a month when mild southerlies and cold easterlies were constantly fighting, overnight an area of rain overrode sub-freezing air here, and by morning had left a layer of ice a couple of cms thick on everything- roads, plants, cars. It then snowed a litttle on top of it so you couldn't see the ice- caught a lot of people out not only driving but walking as well. I'd be surprised if mid-Wales wasn't affected by this event as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've seen a few freezing rain events over the years, they tend to be more frequent on high ground than lower down.

I'd have to look back through over 40 years of records to find all of them but there were several in the 60s and at least one in 1979.

One of the worst was in early Feb' 1986 but this involved persistent freezing drizzle and light rain rather than 'proper' rain.

Many of the events were relatively short lived affairs, lasting two or three hours before milder air arrived but I can remember perhaps 3 or 4 which lasted much longer than this.

According to my parents there were two severe freezing rain events in the 1940s, one in January 1940 and another in 1947 but I can't remember the month.

T.M

Posted

There was a freezing rain event in Central Scotland in late November 2001, the only one I have ever seen, and never want to see again since it laid me flat with 3 cracked ribs and a jarred spine.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Freezing rain yuk cannot stand up in it. Trying to think of the last one wasn't that long ago maybe last Decemeber. Yup it was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever we get.

We had a couple of instances in Lincolnshire in the 1963 winter, amazing to see houses, wires, trees and roads covered in a glaze. In todays terms it would have only been two or three millimetres thick, but it's dangerous stuff.

Posted
20th January 1966: snow was forecast but instead it turned up as freezing rain in the south.

I remember that , they let us out into the playground at infants school and there must have been 1" of ice on the ground.

When we all started slipping over etc.. they called us all inside :(

Posted

Thanks for all the replies.

Late January 1996, about 23rd or 24th. It then snowed a litttle on top of it so you couldn't see the ice, I'd be surprised if mid-Wales wasn't affected by this event as well.

Yes I`ve just had a look and the 23rd we had light freezing rain/hail/sleet and snow and it was windy too a right mix,max was -1c

Rrea00119960123.gif

S9

Just to add the 22nd also had some freezing drizzle early that day but the temp got up to 1c

and it thawed.

Edited by Snowyowl9