Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps, Current and Future

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Snow is holding well in the Dolomites, but temps are now above freeze above 2000m with only the valleys below as. Forecast for the next week is for it to warm more - hope by not too much or we will back to sqaure one again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
hI,

Yesterdays snow has turned to slush with the return of warmer air again. My wife reports a large stockpile of cinders to keep the mountain road open. The local authorities have been put on standby for a severe cold spell during the Christmas and New Year holiday. Perhaps they know something in Austria we don't know about !

C

Morning,

After 2 sunny days a cold grey start to Sunday in the Austrian Hohe Tauern . Cloud levels lowering with flurries of snow. Some heavier precipitation being reported further north in the Bavarian Alps.

C

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hi C,

Good to see an improving picture this coming week over the Eastern Alps at least with some colder air filtering West from NE Europe around the high. With low pressure over Italy tomorrow there could be some snow for the Alps. Perhaps some weather fronts dropping down from Scandinavia mid-week could bring some snow to the Eastern side of the Alps aswell.

Posted
Hi C,

Good to see an improving picture this coming week over the Eastern Alps at least with some colder air filtering West from NE Europe around the high. With low pressure over Italy tomorrow there could be some snow for the Alps. Perhaps some weather fronts dropping down from Scandinavia mid-week could bring some snow to the Eastern side of the Alps aswell.

Hi Nick,

A real concern for some ski-operators with Chrismas fast approaching. Last year we started with a very good base from the early season falls during the end of Nov and lasted throughout the Christmas (Euro high spell ). What followed was the best season for years in the Austrian Alps with frequent snowfalls and very cold days. We have a light base at the moment but cold enough for the cannons to feed the pistes at night. Again Austria looks well placed of any the Alpine countries for any colder accounts as you have mentioned in the above posts.

Regards

C

PS. I think Ski- Sunday starts today from Europe. Might get some indication of the lack of snow cover on the wider panoramic pictures of the Alps ?

C

Posted

Yes, will look out for Ski Sunday and see the conditions experienced.

Bit concerned at the longer term for snow prospects until the New Year at least, strong positive heights seem to be progged beyond this week over Central Europe and not much sign of any arctic incursions getting far South into Europe as a result. High pressure will be good at keeping the cold air near the surface but not so good for precipitation prospects. Still things may look more rosey the other side of the New Year hopefully with a big pattern change perhaps.

Posted
BBC news article on the European snow crises. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6185345.stm

Hi Makes Grim reading. Good job we are based at 1500 m in Katschberg.

C

Posted

Ski Sunday had good cover of the Super G from Val Gardena. The snow looked in very good condition, infact as good as last year when i skiied the course. It is looking like a cool down is coming so the snow canons will be able to add to the base - just hope we dont get a return back to mild.

Posted

Nicely cold in the Dolomites today. -8 at 2400m and -1.9 at 1450, even a bit of snow falling.

Posted
Morning,

After 2 sunny days a cold grey start to Sunday in the Austrian Hohe Tauern . Cloud levels lowering with flurries of snow. Some heavier precipitation being reported further north in the Bavarian Alps.

C

Afternoon,

Snowfall arrived today in Katschberg. Very persistant and drifting in a keen NEly.My wife informs me the outside temperature has fallen to -5C (3pm) and snow depth in garden now measures 18cm thats at 1650 m asl. With a cold high to develop after todays snowfall, conditions might just be OK for Christmas time. The snowmakers are also full on in the daytime frost.

C

Posted

slight snow for my ski resort today but the outlook for most ski areas on the continent for much of the next couple of weeks is not good. No ppn on most charts and with the 850mb at or above zero C at times not all that good for conditions either, especially at low level. Still most resorts have at least had a snowfall, and whilst the temps stay below zero C then the snow cannons will help.

John

When do you go over there Paul?

j

Posted
slight snow for my ski resort today but the outlook for most ski areas on the continent for much of the next couple of weeks is not good. No ppn on most charts and with the 850mb at or above zero C at times not all that good for conditions either, especially at low level. Still most resorts have at least had a snowfall, and whilst the temps stay below zero C then the snow cannons will help.

John

When do you go over there Paul?

j

Hi John,

There seems to be some frontal activity developing across the Southern Alps with a steady fall in pressure. We in Austria seem to do well for snowfall when moisture pushes up into the mountains from the North Adriatic. Lets hope it continues. My wife has been out there for a few weeks and my daughter and son travel out for Christmas. I will be going on the 7th January. When is your annual visit to Wengen ?

Cheers

C

Posted

out on 14th and back 29th, just in time to see the Lauberhorn ski circus on the way down the mountain as I go up it. Takes about 3-4 days for the Swiss army to put the village back to its sleepy, and I hope, snowy self!

John

I thoroughly recommend the Ski Club of GB site for those asking about conditions. Registration is free and you get all the news/updates/weather reports for general overview and specific resorts. http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/default.asp

The latest reports are better but not brilliant. Still lack of snow at lower levels in many places especially in the western Alps. But higher up should be ok.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
Afternoon,

Snowfall arrived today in Katschberg. Very persistant and drifting in a keen NEly.My wife informs me the outside temperature has fallen to -5C (3pm) and snow depth in garden now measures 18cm thats at 1650 m asl. With a cold high to develop after todays snowfall, conditions might just be OK for Christmas time. The snowmakers are also full on in the daytime frost.

C

Morning,

Another 2cm added last night. Cloud cover and flurries and a gusty Ely lifting the snow at times.

My wife also reports the snow level now down to the valley bottom (1000m) in St Michael the nearest town.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Anyone got an opinion on when the euro high might lose its grip? I'm a bit scared for my two week holiday at Les Arcs starting this weekend.. theres no hint of snow on the horizon.. its all looking rather settled :cc_confused:

Posted

Good morning!

I wonder if anyone can take a guess at the long range forecast for Eastern Germany. I am going to the Biathlon World Cup in Oberhof in Thuringia which takes place from the 3 - 7 Jan. There is no snow at the moment and I am really worried it will be cancelled. I am starting to lose sleep over my holiday in a lifetime so any advice on the snow chances greatly received!

Allan

Posted

hi Connlach, first a welcome to Net Wx.

As to snow in eastern germany. Like most Euro resorts, if there is no snow there now then, apart from snow cannons, UNLESS the models have it wrong, is about all that seems likely to fall I am afraid.

sorry its not good news but keep checking. 2-3 January is still way out beyond really reliable forecasting.

John

Posted
hi Connlach, first a welcome to Net Wx.

As to snow in eastern germany. Like most Euro resorts, if there is no snow there now then, apart from snow cannons, UNLESS the models have it wrong, is about all that seems likely to fall I am afraid.

sorry its not good news but keep checking. 2-3 January is still way out beyond really reliable forecasting.

John

Thanks for letting me know, All I want for Xmas is snow!!!

Posted
Morning,

Another 2cm added last night. Cloud cover and flurries and a gusty Ely lifting the snow at times.

My wife also reports the snow level now down to the valley bottom (1000m) in St Michael the nearest town.

C

Evening,

Clouds more broken this afternoon. Still a gusty NEly with a significant wind chill. Temperatures now MS 5 at 1500m and MS10 AT 3000m. Does indicate the development of a shallow cold pool. Precipitation and pressure fall up wind in Hungary suggests more snowfall in our region tomorrow and Thursday with some advection of colder upper air into Switzerland for a while, anyway.Snow depth 30cm at 2200 and 18cm in my back garden. Snow has been blown off the roof today. The wife to ski tomorrow for the first time this season . Lucky her !

C