Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Significant Tornado Hits North West London!!

Posted
Nope, not a chance.

That tornado lasted for longer and caused more serious damage. The characteristics of the storm were much more vigorous, and almost super-cellular in nature.

I think these storms will come out on a par, and like the Welsh Tornado possibly another T4, Which is what the Birmingham Tornado was. The damage to the buildings and Trees looks T4 To me and so was the Birmingham Tornado. We will never know wether they were Supercellular due to lack of Dopplar, I did not notice anything Supercellular when walking over Blackfriars Bridge this morning at 1055am and looking into the Heart of the Storm, just a plain old Thundershower.

Paul Sherman

Posted
I think these storms will come out on a par, and like the Welsh Tornado possibly another T4, Which is what the Birmingham Tornado was. The damage to the buildings and Trees looks T4 To me and so was the Birmingham Tornado. We will never know wether they were Supercellular due to lack of Dopplar, I did not notice anything Supercellular when walking over Blackfriars Bridge this morning at 1055am and looking into the Heart of the Storm, just a plain old Thundershower.

Paul Sherman

The Birmingham tornado was more significant and it travelled through a large area of the southern part of the city: King's Heath, Moseley and Balsal Heath, although the more widespread damage was in several streets of King's Heath.

I know because I was based in Birmingham at the time.

Karyo

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Paul Sherman

Terrence from TORRO was suggesting T4 or perhaps T5 on C4 news last night. Looking at the radar for around 1045-1100 yesterday does look like a classic bow echo formation of the cells - with strong deep layer sheer and obviously some strong surface veering of winds, maybe excarcebated by the funnelling effect on winds of an urban area like London. 12z fax yesterday showed a shortwave trough moving over London area aswell which probably had a pronounced dry air intrusion aloft which steepened lapse rates considerably.

Posted

Did anyone else see Piers Corbyn on Newsnight last night? He appeared to be claiming that he'd predicted that a tornado would strike somewhere in Britain yesterday. Did he? He wouldn't pass on his long-term forecast on the grounds that other people who'd already paid for it would have every right to be upset if he passed it on for free. What was the Beeb doing giving him the publicity and credibility?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Did anyone else see Piers Corbyn on Newsnight last night? He appeared to be claiming that he'd predicted that a tornado would strike somewhere in Britain yesterday. Did he? He wouldn't pass on his long-term forecast on the grounds that other people who'd already paid for it would have every right to be upset if he passed it on for free. What was the Beeb doing giving him the publicity and credibility?

I was surprised they picked on him to give comment! All to do with electromagnetic out put from the sun eh? Forcast it in Sept did you Piers? Don't want to give us cheapskates a glimpse of your Jan forcast eh?

Posted

Now THAT's refreshing - one media outlet stands against the rest, and of all that could have done so, it's the times! :unsure:

Not a mini-tornado, but a genuine twister

...It seems even professional meteorologists and forecasters actually working directly for the media get upset at the trivialisation of one of the UK's most extreme weather events.

Edited by crimsone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Now THAT's refreshing - one media outlet stands against the rest, and of all that could have done so, it's the times! :unsure:

Respect! :blink:

Posted
Paul, is it not the case that all tornadoes are significant weather events? :unsure:

Er, Yes but I do not get your point, I have not started any of the other threads on the last few weeks Tornadoes, but they were all SIGNIFICANT As well, Are you trying to say that just because it hits London then the media go into overdrive, and if it hit a Farming community in Wales people dont give a onionse ??

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

well it looks like no one had the sence to film the tornado GRRRR what a shame.. :unsure:

I live south east of london and that storm hit here at 11:20, skies went very dark, with nearly horizonital rain.. here is some pics from what I saw of the storm..

before it hit, coming in from london

stormd001.jpg

hail

stormd002.jpg

bye bye storm

stormd1005.jpg

stormd1007.jpg

stormd11.jpg

Edited by Sugar79

Posted

Dont know if anyone has seen this yet, but the Sun claims to have a Picture of the London Tornado, click on the link and it is further down the page.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0..2-2006560777.00.html

I am rather dubious of this picture, as this was a very messy Storm, and little visibility was around, also anyone know what the tree type is and wether it would be in full bloom, also anyone know wether the building is credible ??

Paul Sherman

Posted
Dont know if anyone has seen this yet, but the Sun claims to have a Picture of the London Tornado, click on the link and it is further down the page.

I am rather dubious of this picture, as this was a very messy Storm, and little visibility was around, also anyone know what the tree type is and wether it would be in full bloom, also anyone know wether the building is credible ??

Paul Sherman

Hmmmm <_< something really doesnt look quite right in that picture!! iam betting that its been photoshopped..

Edited by Sugar79

Posted
Did anyone else see Piers Corbyn on Newsnight last night? He appeared to be claiming that he'd predicted that a tornado would strike somewhere in Britain yesterday. Did he? H

He predicted there would be a 'high' risk of tornadoes in the UK from the 5th to the 8th December.

He's also predicting a very mild Christmas btw with a severe storm occuring between 26th and 29th December <_<

Posted
He predicted there would be a 'high' risk of tornadoes in the UK from the 5th to the 8th December.

He's also predicting a very mild Christmas btw with a severe storm occuring between 26th and 29th December <_<

Would that be in London, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, or somewhere else entirely? lol

Posted

Paul Sherman

There are a few buildings similar to that not too far away from the area, but the leaves look as if they've only just emerged in spring and don't look like they're being blown around in the wind. Where's the rain? It was chucking it down at the time: those leaves look as if they're in sunlight. And why no photographer's credit.

Posted

Stu from UkWeatherWorld, has just contacted The Sun and they have told him that the image of the tornado was the ONLY image they received and that it was unsigned. Hence, it seems to be a hoax.

Posted

Why is it that a reported tornado out in the (comparative) sticks somewhere is almost guarenteed to generate at least a picture, but one in the middle-class suburbs of London (where the requirements of daily life mean that at least a third (at a guess) of people have a decent phone or camcorder), passes by almost entirely unrecorded. I wonder if it has anything to do with the "wizard of oz" (ie, the 'It'll never happen to me' concept resulting in increased panic and suprise)?

Edited by crimsone

Posted
Sky news now reporting that people on a BA flight just about to land flew over the tornado

Only caught the last few seconds of it though so dont know the whole story.

I assume they were separated vertically?!

tornado4.jpg

Edited by Mondy

Posted

woo hoo I finally got on here! :clap: Been trying to get on since yesterday. I have to say that storm yesterday was the scariest thing I have ever seen! The tornado happened about 5 mins walk away from me at work. The kids were all in assembly yesterday morning at about 10:50am and were just about to go out to playground from the hall when there was an almight bang. :blink: The kids got all excited, so we declared a wet play when we seen a flash of lightning. I was in the classroom and the sky just went completely black, the windows were opened and the only way I can describe the noise was like a rushing sound. More bolts of lightning and thunder hail and rain. The wind picked up and was throwing leaves and bins around but nothing to major. It was the noise that was the scary thing! <_< There is a secondary school down the road from ours St Augustines, which had there roof blown off! The kids were sent home and it is still closed today. That school is in Kilburn Park, which is about 10 mins walk away from Kensal Rise. My school where I work is in the middle of St Augustines and Kensal Rise. If it had hit my school it would have knocked it down like a deck of cards, cos the place is falling apart! Anyway that was my excitement, was going mad cos I couldn't get on here last night to tell anyone. :lol:

Geri

p.s went down to have a look this morning on way to work, couldnt really see a lot because of cordons.

Edited by geri2k

Posted

That image does look a little odd, can't quite my finger on it but I agree with the other there has been some editing.

I myself got the storm just before it wound down and looking at the radar the core of the last strong cell passed right over my area and it may wlel have been the same cell that spwaned the tornado.

Either way from what I saw of this cell there'd have been little chance of a decent picture, the system as Paul said was very messy with a hecko f a lot of wind with it and also a lot of rain and also some hail, which makes me suspect of that photo i must admit judging from condtions that I witnessed, granted about 20-30 minutes later.

Posted
Why is it that a reported tornado out in the (comparative) sticks somewhere is almost guarenteed to generate at least a picture, but one in the middle-class suburbs of London (where the requirements of daily life mean that at least a third (at a guess) of people have a decent phone or camcorder), passes by almost entirely unrecorded. I wonder if it has anything to do with the "wizard of oz" (ie, the 'It'll never happen to me' concept resulting in increased panic and suprise)?

Probably because at street level in London you do not get a huge view, so any tornado as short lived as this one would almost certainly not get photographed.

If I saw one I would be running, not fruiting around getting my mobile out of my pocket. :lol:

Edited by Heavywater

Posted

Lol i thought it fake too looks very suspicious

Paul Sherman