Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Wales Ice-storm

crimsone

Posted

Back in the mid 90's I recall that while living in the village of Bettws in the Garw Valley of South Wales, there was somewhere between a few days and a week of extremely cold temperatures. As I recall it, wid chill may have had a lot to do with it, but I recall every surface (roads and all) on one night was covered with a layer of ice. On every pavement the previous rain had frozen into a layer of ice no less than an ince or two thick, and walking anywhere was practically impossible unless you were prepared to fall over.

Can anybody remind me of just when it was, what happened to create such weather, and tell me how widespread or localised it was?

Back in the mid 90's I recall that while living in the village of Bettws in the Garw Valley of South Wales, there was somewhere between a few days and a week of extremely cold temperatures. As I recall it, wid chill may have had a lot to do with it, but I recall every surface (roads and all) on one night was covered with a layer of ice. On every pavement the previous rain had frozen into a layer of ice no less than an ince or two thick, and walking anywhere was practically impossible unless you were prepared to fall over.

Can anybody remind me of just when it was, what happened to create such weather, and tell me how widespread or localised it was?

I think this was fairly localised to the South Wales valleys, certainly it was milder with us on the coast, I think it was early February 1996.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219960204.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

The night of 23rd - 24th January 1996 brought widespread freezing rain across much of Wales, central and southern England, as a trough moved slowly northwards from France, combined with a very cold south-easterly flow over the UK.

I remember it well - with around an inch or so of ice everywhere by the morning of 24th.

The following days had biting easterly winds, and powdery snow led to even more treacherous conditions.