Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow reports for the end of December/beginning of Jan

Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

Thought I might as well start this as on the way home from Keswick this afternoon it was snowing on the way into Penrith and again around Shap Summit. Very wet, miserable snow, but snow nonetheless. Strangely the temperature then dropped to 0º and it was raining in Orton, but I'm sure that makes sense to someone.

Posted

Sleeting here all afternoon. Horrible and wet :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Hi - I haven't posted for ages, but I too have zero degrees and rain - how annoying is that!!

John

:wallbash:

Posted

Repeated hail showers this morning, though mixed in with rain. Temps hovering above 4C. Would like to say it's almost sleeting, and doubtless if I were in Telford it would be, but I suspect what I've got is occasional remnants of melted hail in the bigger splats of rain.

Definitely under a big Cb at present; very dark, and the radar echo is reds and pinks. Surprised the temp hasn't fallen moire under this, but I'm learning not to be surprised or disappointed by anything weather wise.

As mentioned above; it's a sorry state of affairs when I'm getting excited by the potential for it to sleet. Still have high hopes for the overnight period though.

I'm moving to Telford...

actually, no I'm not.

LATE EXTRA

Wow, huge lightning flash overhead and now very heavy hail. and several more flashes. OOooh, thunderhail, or something...will post a piccy later to fool you all into thinking it was snowing.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

Here they are...

post-364-1167658520_thumb.jpg

post-364-1167658594_thumb.jpg

post-364-1167658655_thumb.jpg

It's an aside, but looking at the latest radar echos (and not checking any other data), more tornado potential for the S and SW this afternoon particularly if there's a decent gradient across this squall line. Certainly some beefy storms.

Guest Viking141

Very chilly today and just had a hefty hail shower. Forecast says possibly prolonged spell of sleet/wet snow overnight tonight.

Posted
I'd of thought that was snow if I didn't know better.

I can just imagine Stratos' 2CV, just out of the frame, below his own flat. :o

It's amazing what you can do with trick photography and polystyrene...just goes to show how easy it is to confuse hail with snow, and particularly sleet with melting hail. Os's little question earlier isn't so misplaced.

I'm amazed how much colder it is up here today than 30 miles east. the RAF stations are all registering 7 or so down in the Vale of York.

The 2CV is parked under the mock 5 series cover. It's my latest business venture...

Posted

Heavy sleet shower here in Gorebridge - thick blobby stuff mixed in with hail :o

Posted

on leaving the house at 7am this morning there was some havy sleet and snow, just got back and there was also a heavy shower of sleet and snow. Some nice mamma overhead now too :o

Oh yeah, and i've been in near whiteout conditions all day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

downpour of what started as rain finished in Hail, sleet, and the odd lump (given it's wetness) of snow. Surprising but I tried to get a picture of the lumps, got a very very blurred picture ill try to get it on.

Temperature before shower was 5C, dropped to 2C, now recovered to 3C with more showers coming in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

A few heavy hail showers here this evening enough to give a covering of slush temp 3.3C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Another heavy-torrential shower gave rise to hail, turned back to rain then sleet featured at the end, showers lasted about 3 minutes

Posted
wey hey finally something wintry to report just looked out my window it's sleeting looks like we could be in for some snow :shok:

It has been a bit sleety here too this evening. Suprising really to say my elevation. Apparently may get slightly more wintry through the night.

Posted
You're doing well over there Stephen. Just rain and melting hail here. 3.4c

I'm not surprised though to be honest, the Welsh hills are doing a grand job with the dew point! It's always going to vary wherever you go. I assume that Sheffield is getting the same effect as here and so they are getting sleet.

Capel Curig is quite high up, it's about 5C at the moment, and yet it's 3C and rising here following a shower and it seems to be cooler, and wetter on the lee of the slopes, and therefore allowing, at certain altitudes, hail to be falling. I assume the sleet is a freak event although it has happened twice.

I love these local weather phenomena, certainly adds some interest to the weather.

Also the intensity of the showers must be figuring in there somewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Deleted message/image, very cruel of me. :shok: It was snow from last Feb, we ended up with about 3 inches.