Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow reports for the end of December/beginning of Jan

Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

I don't wish to be pedantic, well I do, because I'm a pedantic get.......but how can you have sleet with the odd wet blob of snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
I don't wish to be pedantic, well I do, because I'm a pedantic get.......but how can you have sleet with the odd wet blob of snow?

To create sleet and snow, it's about the % of snow as far as I understand so sleet may contain 30% ice crystal, 70%melted water or something along those lines, whereas wet snow may contain 60% ice crystal, 40% melted water.

There's nothing exact about it, unless you have measuring kit. It's very much deciphering from vision, so it's never going to be exactly right.

I could have been wrong, just what i thought I saw

Posted

Rain is rain.

Rain with small amounts, medium amounts or large amounts of wet snowflakes mixed in, is sleet.

Snow is snow, be it wet, dry or indifferent.

You cannot have sleet with snow mixed in, because by definition sleet is rain mixed with snow/wintry precipitation.

I know its pedantic but for some reason it just irks me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Rain is rain.

Rain with small amounts, medium amounts or large amounts of wet snowflakes mixed in, is sleet.

Snow is snow, be it wet, dry or indifferent.

You cannot have sleet with snow mixed in, because by definition sleet is rain mixed with snow/wintry precipitation.

I know its pedantic but for some reason it just irks me.

:lol: you just basically said what I said without percentages in :unknw:

You can have sleet with snow mixed in, because at the point rain turns to snow, there will be a point where snow is falling with sleet, which will gradually all turn to snow, especially when the temperature is falling.

We could, as a rule of the thumb, get rid of the label 'sleet' and replace it with snow, it probably would be easier, but as it exists we may as well use it, as a measurement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I drove across a snow covered road [for a couple of miles] this morning. It was the A826 Aberfeldy to Crieff road in Perthshire. A covering of 1-2 cms of frozen snow [but beginning to melt] covered the high point above 1000 feet approximately.

Am I getting exited about this in January?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A belated report here as my p.c has been very poorly and I've been offline for several days.

A heavy shower starting around 1600 on Jan' 1st soon turned to sleet and then, for the final 10 minutes, to wet snow which was just sufficient to cover the car roof and windscreen with a layer of slush. The temp' fell to 1.0c in the shower but recovered to 3c by mid-evening with any showers turning to rain.

T.M