Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

pyrenees snow?

Posted

Hi all

Im a bit of a keen weather watcher, but never tend topost despite having a degree in the subject.

Ive been watching the potential for snow in Andorra as a group of us are heading off to Arinsal in a week and a half. I find it pertinantly annoying the way some sites act to report on a site in detail. But they are actually using weather stations 200km away.

I have looked at GFS and also the various ensembles models of them. I find wetterzentrale.de an invaluable resource and of course the easier english charts here on net-weather.

Anyway, my point is im not seeing much snow because of the stronger high pressure over spain at the moment. There looks as though there maybe a trough of low pressure that will slip up Northeastwards from the East of Spain with an associated wet warm front that may bring some snow. But I am not at all helpful.

I am even considering cancelling and going somewhere else.

Can anyone further shed some light or (id be even more pleased) if you could proove me wrong.

Our best chance I see is next Weds- Sat where some reasonable measures of precipitation look likely. I fear however that on the warmer air, it will fall as rain.

Many thanks for any answers

John

Hi John!

I am new to all this and therefore can't shed any light on the subject I'm afraid...I am interested though as I am going to Andorra on February 10th! Further to your query can anyone tell me if conditions are likely to change by then?

Hope we can find some sort of answers!!! and snow!!!

Thanks...

Posted

Hi smudger

I have to say the prospects for our trip look quite poor next week. Any snow that seems to get forcast for andorra on the GFS is a in FI and gradually petters out and vanishes from all forecasts the closer towards the date it becomes.

This time 2 weeks ago andorra were looking forward to 10-15mm of snow. As seems to be pertinantly usual around the high pressure, this did not materialise and a good deal of the country is once again relying on snow canons working overtime just to provide the holiday makers with some white stuff to ski on.

Next week on current gfs outputs looks promising, but if that high pressure does not move you can forget it.

I would say though that by mid feb, I would at least expect there to be a bit more snow than there is now!

I have learnt from this and will be going either later in the season to europe next yr or earlierin the season to Canada

Posted

Hi to you both - also new to this and a first post but as i work for a company selling ski holidays to Canada, I was actually on here doing some research and just thought I'd tell you of 2 good sites for snow reports. The BBC's own website has good info on current and forthcoming snow for all the major resorts and if you register on the Ski Club of Great Britain's website (which is free) you can get up to date snow reports and tons of information

Canada is having the best snow ever btw, so think about that for future trips!

Posted

I don't think anyone is going to be able to 'conjure' up much in the way of snow anywhere on the continent for the next week or so. All of us may have to consider trying hiking instead, most of the mountain restaurants serve top quality food wherever you go, so walking instead of skiing is better than nothing.

Me, I'm off to Wengen on Sunday.

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Ha,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Its been quite bad season though the dumps recently in the alps have definately helped things. Im seriously considering canada next year.

At least the temps should keep some of the artificial stuff on the ground in Andorra, would seem a sham to pay 400 quid for a week of hiking. Optimism that they may have had a little sprinkle in the past 6 hours.....though it probablky fell as rain.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow
Has anyone any idea how reliable the snow forecasts on this website are because according to those Andorra is in for a whole load of snow next week!

I think the outlook for both the pyrennes and the alps is good to very good next week. I'm off the dolomites in italy and its more probable that skiing will be prevented by heavey snow falls rather than none.

Posted

Hi all

Im back and I have to say I had non stop skiing all week, the ski club website is a bit misleading.

It snowed a bit qwhile I was there but those andoerrans are seriously good at pumping the artificial stuff. I thinkl there was 1 night where it was too warm for the canons, but all other nights, enough was blown to maintain some really good snow that was somewhat like powder in the early mornings!

It snowed as I was leaving today (damn typical) but I would say smudger that you have nothing to worry about if it does not snow. I know arinsal was fine, apparantly all resorts in the val-nord area are ok, soldeau and pas de la casa struggle a bit more.

Im watching the uk closely now and going to think aboiut next yrs hoiliday

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Pyrennees could see some snow over the next couple of days....I am certainly hoping so as I am leaving for Andorra on Saturday!

I have everything crossed for snow and cold temperatures...my snow dancing is nearing perfection now :(

Posted
Looks like the Pyrennees could see some snow over the next couple of days....I am certainly hoping so as I am leaving for Andorra on Saturday!

I have everything crossed for snow and cold temperatures...my snow dancing is nearing perfection now :D

smudger your right, snow over the pyrenees is a strong possibility the next couple of says.

I would not worry about the lack of snow though, unless your a pro, the pisteurs did an excellent job while we were there and they were relentless with the snow canons. Be optimistic, fly and enjoy yourself!!