Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Problem with recording a max wind gust.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Hi all,

I have recently set up my new weather station.

(See link... http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/or...fic_cw_sub.html It is the WMR928NX At the bottom of the page)

I am finding it extremely difficult to load the WeatherDisplay32 software and get anything to work. I may have to contact someone in the know to help me out because I am having a torrid time with it. I'm not at all techy-minded.

A more minor problem, one that I hope some of you may be able to help me with, is that for the fourth time I have equalled my record gust at 35.3 mph. Before, I had accepted it as a freak but it can't be right. I have altered the position of the the anemometer a couple of times (raising the height) so that the roof would not obstruct the wind. The anemometer can record a max gust of 125 mph, so there's no limit to recordings. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be ?

Edited by Supercell

Posted

Hi Supercell,

As you have been having some trouble with the software, you may want to concider using VWS (Virtual Weather Station) from Ambeint:

http://www.ambientweather.com/virtualstation.html

You get a 30 day free trial so it may be worth testing this out for a week or so just incase weatherdisplay is reading something wrong...like the max at 35.3 - is that on the console display or on your PC?

Posted
Hi Supercell,

As you have been having some trouble with the software, you may want to concider using VWS (Virtual Weather Station) from Ambeint:

http://www.ambientweather.com/virtualstation.html

You get a 30 day free trial so it may be worth testing this out for a week or so just incase weatherdisplay is reading something wrong...like the max at 35.3 - is that on the console display or on your PC?

Hi LeeKay,

Thanks for that link. I'll give that virtual software a try later on in the evening.

The maximum wind gust recording is on the console itself. Although, I haven't experienced any other problems with other recordings. i.e. the rainfall rate during a downpour the other week hit a record 107 mm/hr. I cannot get any readings on my PC due to the problems I am having setting up the WeatherDisplay32 Software. It is beyond me and I don't know where to start. But, hopefully, that link you have provided me with is a bit more user-friendly and eventually, fingers crossed, i'll have the WD32 Software up and running.

Thanks

Will.

Posted

What's the problem you are having with WD?

This forum here may be able to sort you out as the guy that wrote it runs it (i think).

Your gust of 35mph is due to electrical interference probably, i get it every now and then and i changed the supplied cable on the windy thing to a heavier duty cat 5 cable which has wiped a lot of it out except for once in a blue moon thankfully.

I'll try to help if i can and you want to ask, if not, please go to the above forum for some great advice and people :)

Posted

Hi Tugmistress,

The WD32 Software seems very techy. I don't know where to start with that. Hopefully, i'll get somewhere with the link LeeKay provided.

Today I finally reached the dizzy heights of 39.4 mph. So my six max gusts records since early December, read: 33.7 mph, 35.3 mph, 35.3 mph, 35.3 mph, 35.3 mph and 39.4 mph - Which I think is more than just a freak occurence. Also, it seems today's max gust was quite a bit lower than two local stations, Cov airport at 52 mph and Draycote Water at 53 mph. Some form of interference could well the problem. The other equipment, fixed away from the anemometer, doesn't seem to be effected.

Thanks for the link. I shall have a read through that forum and try the free WD Software later on this evening.

Posted

Hi Supercell,

you may find this interesting ...

http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm

it sounds like you need to do what i did :doh:

Posted

You also need to be aware that the WMR928 has a wind sampling period of 14 seconds. Basically this means that it counts the anemometer revolutions in the 14 seconds and works out the average speed for the 14 seconds. Professional anemometers sample every 2 to 3 seconds so they are much more likely to see higher gust speeds. The rule is that the longer the sampling period the lower the maximum gust recorded will be. We have a WMR928 anemometer mounted alongside a Davis that samples every 2.5 seconds and on gusty days the WMR928 undereads by some 25% compared to the Davis. This, however, is not bad when compared to devices like the LaCrosse WS2300 that in wireless mode samples every 128 seconds unless its very windy where upon it samples every 32 seconds. This of course means the peaks are rounded out even more!

You should also make sure that you have grounded your anemometer as this is a requirement for the WMR928 to make sure it works correctly and prevents static buildup on the electronics. If you haven't grounded it then this might also explain your weirdly consistent readings.

Edited by Meteorologica

Posted

I had a grounding problem with my Vantage Pro 2 and it required an optical isolator to break the loop. This worked a treat, but now I'm getting a wireless version, so if anyone wants a USB optical isolator.....